Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I rencetnly purchased a 10 and LOVE IT..!!.. Although i have one concern my local mechanic either answered and i don't believe him or he is correct.

THE PROBLEM: There is a whistling noise or rattling that is very loud when running about 3500 to anywhere around 9000 RPM's. On hard acceleration no noise. On slow cruising speed or low RPM's (under 3500)no noise. Only moderdate throttle do i get the noise and sorry to say, that's most of the time. I had a 2000 ZX-7R and the noise was there, but not as loud or as frequent in the previous scenario. I was just wondering if my mechanic was right when he called it the "Exhaust Valve" opening and closing? Is this normal? and if so, is it neccessary to have it?
I have heard from other ZX-10 owners that have permanently opened the valve to avoid this noise or removed that section form the exhaust when installing a pipe. Is this advisable? A solution to this issue is greatly needed. :?: :?:

Thanks for all who replies with an educated answer.
Ride safe..!!..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i posted this same question on the sportbike forum and got a great answer from: QKENUF4U. I am just looking for a second pair of ears to hear this one. Not trying to get anyone razzled. :)

Thanks in advance................

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Your whistleing is most likely your pressure valve for the pipe. Open/close. As air is rushed by and the valve being open/closed some gas will escape causing the sound. It's not air tight in their I'm pretty sure - you can probably recreate this with lots of compressed air - not worth my time....If their is a sound and the bike rides without loss of power live with it. If you are losing power than you may have other things going on.

PS - It could just be your airbox howling as well. They do that under load and if you are not used to the sound it is unusual...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1Adam12 said:
Your whistleing is most likely your pressure valve for the pipe. Open/close. As air is rushed by and the valve being open/closed some gas will escape causing the sound. It's not air tight in their I'm pretty sure - you can probably recreate this with lots of compressed air - not worth my time....If their is a sound and the bike rides without loss of power live with it. If you are losing power than you may have other things going on.

PS - It could just be your airbox howling as well. They do that under load and if you are not used to the sound it is unusual...
yeah that's pretty much the same ideas and advice a couple of people had. I just didn't remember hearing it on a 2002 zx-9r i rode in the past, nor did i remember it being that loud on my old 2000 zx-7r. I also have heard guys permanently opening the valve and sacrificing a little low end torque, but i'm going to get it looked at for anything abnormal, then call it a day. i love the bike and won't let that dampen my spirits. performance loss is DEFINITELY NOT an issue. :)

thanks for the reply.

safe ridin'............ 8)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Keep in mind that your exhaust is HUGE.... Just from the looks easily over 54mm on the header tube..... Each bike is a little bit different too. Have fun and ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts