Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Fan of not being on fire
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, and greetings from San Antonio, TX.

I am new to the forum, obviously. Found this forum a few days ago on my search for motorcycle information. I am in the process of purchasing a '99 Vulcan 500 with less than 6K miles on it. I am purchasing it from a close friend who's wife is making him sell it. I feel kinda bad about it, because I know he loves the bike, but he's giving me a great deal and I'll let him visit on weekends. :-o Anyhow, I am doing things a little backwards. I know it's normally recommended to get the MSF course done before buying a bike, but he needed to sell in a hurry, and I was ready to buy. It's in the shop getting a final "tune up" and a thorough overlook before being officially sold to me.

Found out some really cool things doing my research this far. Stuff like most military bases offer an MSF course for free to military and dependents, because it is required to ride on base. The MSF course waves the driving course for TX DPS license. And the 50 tips to stay alive were great. I'll be reading those every time I go out riding. The MSF course is mid Feb so the bike will sit in the driveway under a tarp until then. I am nervous about riding until I'm taught what to do. Anyhow, any tips/hints/secrets of the trade you may want to bestow upon me are welcome. I'm always willing to listen when it means keeping my skin attached to my muscle, or my brain in my head, whichever it may be.

By the way, I want to just say that I am super excited about a bike. I wanted one for about 6 years but mom has been talking me out of it. I got the "itch" to buy one again, so telling mom later will be hard. :tongue: Pic follows, as I read in an earlier thread that a new bike purchase is like a Unicorn, doesn't exist until it's seem.

-TexasM203

Only pic I have.... in the back of my truck getting dropped off for tune up. It's horrible quality, from a cheap cell phone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Congratz on getting a bike! When you get home from the final day of the MSF course you'll will be completely prepared to hop on your bike and go for a ride because its just that good. But of course you'll want to take it slow at first because it is a different bike and the beginner MSF course is restricted to 250cc bikes. When I got my bike after taking the course I spent the first day just playing around with what I learned during the classes but I spent no time at all going "now how do I get this thing going?". Have fun:)

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
good job on your first post, getting the picture right in there. Congrats on the new wheels. 500 is a great first ride, have fun and be safe. Best advise--yes the other drivers are out to get you.

·
Fan of not being on fire
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best advise--yes the other drivers are out to get you.
Now, you mean the 4 wheel drivers, or other bikers? Or both?

I almost had an accident this morning, in my truck. But it is bringing me to realize the dangers associated with bikes. Ironically, it was the 50 tips to survive that saved my Toy Taco and me from becoming the new hood ornament of a Mac Truck. I was pulling out into a "fresh" green light, 4am and completely complacent due to the lack of traffic, and I thought "I need to develop a habit of looking before I leap". Then I saw a Mac truck sliding through the fresh mist on the ground, unable to stop for the red light.:eek: I turned to evade and spun out. I'm perfectly fine, lack of traffic prevented any kind of collision. Long story short, on a bike, I would've been creamed. Good bye, check out, adios and vio con dios. On the way home (going to/from gym) I started getting more of a habit of looking around, complete and over-exaggerated stops at lights and signs, and delaying my movement into traffic. Not discouraged from riding, just more aware I suppose.

Edit(s): 5am, not 4. THANKS CYCLE DUDE for the 50 tips. I'm sure I'm not the first to say I owe you one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congrats to another 500 owner - great looking ride! And I also did it "backwards" - bought a bike but didn't ride it until I finished the course/got my license. SOO glad I did (Read "Dead Raccoon Dogding" thread). The course will make you a better driver on 2 and 4 wheels. I'm still kind of new to be giving advice, but I'll chime in anyway - get to know YOUR bike before riding at speeds, on twisties, or in heavy traffic - they all have their little quirks - that's what makes us love them:-D

·
Fan of not being on fire
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Twisties?

I assume a twistie is a twisty, winding road? I'm new, so, forgive me on the lack of Jargon knowledge. I can speak trucker pretty fluently if that helps. :-o

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
Greetings from Corpus, Texas. My name is Gabriel.

I am trying to organize a trip for a few of us to head up there to SA in early March for the anniversary of the fall of the Alamo. Maybe you can join us for a sightseeing trip at the Alamo and maybe lunch somewhere afterwards before we head back home.

And for your information, on March 20th is the annual South Texas Motorcycle Show at the Freeman Coliseum. A group of us went last year and you could find almost anything you would need and stuff you need just don't know it yet.

Go ace the msf course.

·
Fan of not being on fire
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am trying to organize a trip for a few of us to head up there to SA in early March for the anniversary of the fall of the Alamo. Maybe you can join us for a sightseeing trip at the Alamo and maybe lunch somewhere afterwards before we head back home.
Sounds fun. I'll see how comfortable I feel on the bike, if anything I can drive my truck, if I'm not working of course. FYI, the Alamo is probably the lamest of the SA Missions. You might consider the Mission trail, it starts at the Alamo and goes through the city via some back roads to about 6 or 7 missions. Very nice for sightseeing. Low traffic, seems like it would be good for a group ride. If the river is high, there is a water crossing, so keep that in consideration. It was about 2 inches of moving water over a concrete bridge-like crossing. Nothing for the truck, I dunno about bikes though. Do some research, see if it's something you might like.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congrats!

Like you, I bought the bike first. But I did manage to get into the course the very next weekend. They dropped the bike off at my house on a Thursday, and the class was the following Saturday.

I too was nervous about riding it until after the class, so I waited. And I'm glad I did!! Since then, I've ridden about 170 miles on it and rode it to work today too. I love it! This is the ONLY way to commute (particularly in California).

Rob

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Yay, another Texan.

We'll catch up to those PNW folks yet, mark my words.

Good job posting pics with your introduction, Welcome to BTK.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.