Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vulcan 900 Classic
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None of the dealers around here stock the Mustang "Vintage Wide Touring Seat w/Driver Backrest" (79417), and none will order it without my paying for it first. At a retail price of $650, it's hard to swallow that amount without even knowing what you're buying. And none of the dealers will take it back for a full refund. Most want a 20% restocking fee. All to see if I like this product, and feel it's worth it's high price tag.

Does anyone know of any other ways to try a seat before you buy? Again, I just find it hard to plop down $650 on something I don't know will make that big of a difference. Or perhaps there's someone in the New Orleans area that owns a VN900 with this seat that wouldn't mind meating up for a ride?

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
Have looked into the kawasaki gel seat???????? Its cheaper and is comfortable, my stepdad has it on his bike and he lights it alot. I have a mustang on my 800 and its a very nice seat. Sorry I can't help ya much, unless your swinging through nebraska sometime.

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts
Yeah, I don't know how you'd test one out. All you can do is read the reviews on sites.

I have a Mustang on my 800 (no driver's backrest though), and it's PERFECT. They're expensive, but it's the best thing I've purchased for my bike. Give it about 100 miles to contour to your butt, and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. 8)

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Have looked into the kawasaki gel seat???????? Its cheaper and is comfortable, my stepdad has it on his bike and he lights it alot.
The gel seat is almost impossible to get. It's been hopelessly backordered at Kawasaki for months. Sadly, you'd probably need to find an owner of one who'd let you ride his scoot to check it out.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
None of the dealers around here stock the Mustang "Vintage Wide Touring Seat w/Driver Backrest" (79417), and none will order it without my paying for it first. At a retail price of $650, it's hard to swallow that amount without even knowing what you're buying. And none of the dealers will take it back for a full refund. Most want a 20% restocking fee. All to see if I like this product, and feel it's worth it's high price tag.

Does anyone know of any other ways to try a seat before you buy? Again, I just find it hard to plop down $650 on something I don't know will make that big of a difference. Or perhaps there's someone in the New Orleans area that owns a VN900 with this seat that wouldn't mind meating up for a ride?
Where do you live? Maybe some one from here has one you can sit on. Butt :biggrin: from my experience it was well worth it!

·
Vulcan 900 Classic
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The New Orleans area.

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
oh i didn't relize it was back ordered again..... Guess my stepdad got in there at the right time. I don't think you'll be dissapointed with the mustang.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
The Mustang is worth every penny. If someone took mine away, I'd cry a little first.......then order a replacement immediatly.
I can put a 10 hour day in with the Mustang and not fee like I was tortured afterwards.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The New Orleans area.
Well...I'm 3 hours away in Pensacola...I have the Mustang and backrest on my Nomad. If you ever get over this way....

As others have said - I feel it is one of the best 'upgrades' you can do! YMMV!

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
If you can find a big bike show that has a Mustang booth, they'll put one on your bike & let you sit on it. That's what they did at Myrtle Beach bike week & I bought one. It'll feel much better after you use it a month than when you 1st put it on cuz as already said, they do take some break-in time. Like Trike said, 10-12 hrs, no prob!! Go ahead, you won't regret it! :biggrin: 8)

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
I have the Mustang wide touring seat with backrest on my 900. Now I know everyone has there own individual preference and idea of what a great seat should feel like but I love mine. I suffer from chronic back pain and the Mustang has made it possible for me to stay in the saddle way longer than I could with the stocker...I have rode four plus hours with zero problems while I would be in deep pain after forty minutes on the stocker.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a Mustang seat on my 1600 Classic and think its one of the best upgrades I have added. I've ridden all day (when the weather was nicer) and still felt good. It was amazing to ride for hours at a time and feel no discomfort. The stock seat felt very comfortable initially, but I had pain after about an hour, which rapidly increased. I know the Mustang seat is expensive, but I think it's well worth it, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Being in East TX we could meet up somewhere around Toledo Bend, but then I realized you're on a 900. So seeing and feeling my Mustang seat with backrest on my Nad is not going to give you the info your really want :cool:

·
Vulcan 900 Classic
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate everyone's feedback and the offers to sit on your bikes. I think I'm going to take everyone's word for it and get one. Now I just need to decide if I need the backrest or not. The two seats I'm looking at are the same basically, just one has the backrest option, the other does not. I read on Mustang's site that you cannot add the backrest at a later time, so it's a "now or never" kind of thing.

So again, I ask your expertise. Is having the backrest worth the $200 extra? I don't plan on going cross country, I'm just a fair weather rider. But I would like rides to be more comfortable. I have a history of back problems, but it's not severe. A normal 60 minute ride doesn't make my back hurt, but I get the butt-burn, with the stock seat, that is. Thanks again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
GO BACKREST!! Especially if you have ANY lower back probs!

My HD-riding bud says that mine (we traded bikes for an hour recently), with the seat and k'yakin highway pegs, is like going down the interstate in a Barcalounger!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Try to ride with one first....

I just bought a mustang (no backrest) for my V2k. My problems with the stocker were lower back pain and numb cheeks (I am not skimpy in the butt cheek department). The mustang will sit you higher but will posture you correctly. I would be uncomfortable in 20 minutes on the stocker. I have no more back issues with the mustang but still have to get up for a few minutes every hour to hour and a half to get the blood back in the posterior.

For me not having the backrest is not a problem, the better seat corrected my back issues.

Just my two cents.

Good luck, Chris

I got mine new off ebay (studded) and it was under $400 shipped.

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
I have the Mustang seat for my Mean Streak, but the wife is primarily - no - make that the ONLY reason - that I have it. Yes - it is comfy (no backrest for the driver), but I liked the look and feel of the original MS seat myself. Just a personal preference. Now the wife - yes - she loves the Mustang seat, but would prefer a Goldwing with armrests, cup holder, and some grits to eat on the way. Arrrrrgggghhhhh!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts