Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a great weather day here in Wisconsin, so we left work early to go see the Kaw dealer. We talked to a rep for a while and eventually took a 2004 Nomad out for test.....

1) Seats seem O.K. , but Peg said the passenger seat is too hard. Maybe a gel pad would help?

2) Floor board placement fit us both really well, foot controls O.K., but I don't do well with heel/toe shifters.

3) Handling was very nice. At low speeds it was quite easy to maneuver the bike around and between things. No surprises while cornering and it delivers a solid comfortable ride.

4) It needs a high gear indicator light. Any aftermarket ones around? I know someone makes a gear indicator for Wings with an LED readout of what gear you're in.

5) Being slightly short in the leg, I was happy to find seat height was low enough to feel comfortable when stopped. The bike doesn't feel 'top heavy' at all.

6) After reading a couple of writings by Nomad owners about lack of power for that engine size, I was wondering how it would feel under throttle. Well, I was pleasantly surprised when I let it breathe a bit in the lower gears. :lol: Also acceleration at highway speed was more than adequate.

7) Anyone know someone looking for a 2002 yellow GL1800 Wing?????
Trade seems out of the question as I feel like I would be giving it away in the deal layed out in a trade for Nomad. :cry:

8 ) I am sold on the Nomad. Some Kaw add-on parts seem a little pricey (pass. backrest, saddle bag side and top rub rails, etc) but, hey, what isn't these days? I hope to soon be able to report that there is a new Nomad parked in my garage...... :wink:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Great review x-wing. I thought I was bad with the heal/toe setup, all of my previous riding just had the toe bar. After less than 400 miles on my new ride it was like I had never shifted any other way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I suppose you're right. This set-up did not seem amenable to getting your toe under the front lever. Some bikes you can shift all from the front even though there is a heal/toe lever set-up. Perhaps the Nomad lever can be adjusted to give more room under it-- I didn't look that close. But if having to adjust to that shifter is my biggest problem, I guess I'm lucky :wink:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have about 560 on my new drifter. This is my first experiance with the heel toe but found it very easy to get use to. I like it now.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i've heard that complaint about the passenger seat before :x

a guy i ride with just put a power commander on his nomad and then put it on the dyno
and got it up to 134mph wide open but i don't know what the hp was.
he says it feels like it has more torque than before and feels it was a worthwhile investment

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what is a 'power commander'? I also have seen reference on this board to remapping. How and by whom is this done? I am assuming the reference was to the ECM but I have no clue about this area.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Don1500 said:
Then he should kill it.
Easy there Don. I was simply making light of a recent post by another member about reviving old threads. I personally don't care. By the way, you have a couple of really nice looking bikes. :-D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks.

Now that I'm back home after 6 mts, and I'm not sick, the rain is coming!!! I haven't been on either one of those bikes since Thanksgiving! And I'm leaving on the 15th for NYC! I got a right to be cranky!

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
I'll say you've got a right to be just a tad cranky.

Well, this is one thread that's been revived successfully, and stayed on topic. :D

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Tod said:
I'll say you've got a right.

Well, this is one thread that's been revived successfully, and stayed on topic. :D

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
"I am always beneath you...but there is NOTHING beneath ME!!" :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts