Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bike for sale on ebay. A guy wants to come from out of state and check it out and of course he is going to want to test ride it.

A lot of bike accidents are due to unfamiliarity with the bike, or he might not be an experienced rider. I am concerned with him banging up the bike and going his merry way leaving me with the damage. I’ve taken meticulous care of this machine.

The bike is a 2006 Suzuki C50 Black, in mint condition, perfectly maintained by the dealer (have papers). No one rode it but me. Mileage is 9413, $1500 in extras, tires are about half life, a warranty good for 14 months (Till April 2011) no accidents and never has been dropped.

I did transfer the tags and insurance to my new bike in January, so the Suzuki is not registered or insured at this time. If he wants it, I thought I could get cash in hand and then let him ride it through the neighborhood (though I am still liable), or put him on the back and 2 up it. However, I myself would want to drive it if I were buying it as I'm sure any of you would also.

How have some of you handled private sales with your bikes re: to not having them banged up by test riders? I usually do not sell privately.

Thanks

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
cash in hand for a test ride...proof if ins can be faked or expired

·
Registered
240 Posts
I got a friend at work that happened to. Guy shows up to test ride it so he just told him any damage and it is your bike then for sure. Cash in hand before he leaves if he brings it back unharmed and doesn't want it then give him cash back as long as came back exactly how it left.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I for one would never buy a bike without a test ride. I got my first bike used from an individual and he let me take it for a ride. I likewise, let the guy who bought it from me two years later take it for a ride.

The reason I say this, is when I sold my first bike I was looking to get a VStar 1300. I test rode the VStar and a VTX 1300 and ended up with a VTX. I did not like the VStar at all. Had I bought it without riding, I would have regretted it.

Now in your case, with no insurance, I wouldn't do it. If he gets hurt, you are probably on the hook.

·
Year Round Rider
203 Posts
endorsement?

As long as he's got a motorcycle endorsement in his license, designate a route, follow behind. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
have him hand you the cash for the bike and then hand him the key!

·
Registered
591 Posts
If I were selling or buying a bike a test ride would be in order. However, you already took the tags and insurance off, which makes it a dicey proposition for you. He wouldn't even have to get into an accident, if he got pulled over for any reason there would be trouble. No insurance and plates complicates things.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Very simple. Cash in hand, his full name, license number and let him do what ever he wants. If he does not return then just drop the title from your name the same day and that's all there is to it. If any damage to the bike while testing then its his bike and not yours. At least here in Texas you have 20 or 21 days to register the new vehicle under your name and insured by then so as long as you drop it from your name you're done! Good luck

·
Registered
141 Posts
Depends on how much you have to lose if he should say get killed or lose a limb on your bike he or his family will come after to you for all you own even if by some slim chance you win which wouldn't seem likely since you gave him permission to ride your unregistered uninsured motorcycle your lawyer fees would be huge. JUST SAY NO TO TEST RIDES. Unless you have millions in insurance. And don't say it won't happen because it happens everyday.

·
Registered
106 Posts
JUST SAY NO TO TEST RIDES
Have you ever sold a bike? Because I can tell you right now that you're not going to without giving a test ride unless you get very lucky. Would you buy a used bike without taking it for a ride?

I've sold two bikes privately and the buyers got to take the bike on a spin before the sale took place. I verified they both had a valid motorcycle license and I had cash in hand before they went anywhere. I made sure they understood that if they broke it..they bought it. Worked out good for me.

You can "what if" the thing to death. But the truth of the matter is, it is very hard to sell a used bike without letting the prospective buyer take the bike on a ride.

Rob

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
I'd never buy a bike I couldn't test. Who knows what the seller might be hiding if s/he refuses to let you test it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes I have, I've sold 5 bikes in the last 35 years without test rides and never had a problem of course I have never lied about the condition of the bike so I was never worried about it. I was willing to take the bike to there mechanic for a check up at their expense but no one ever asked me too. Everyone has their right to allow test rides I have worked to long and too hard to pay for everything I own and will not risk it to sell a couple thousand dollar motorcycle. I guess I'll add I bought my nomad without a test ride my friend sold his goldwing on ebay and got his asking price from a guy that didn't even see the bike till he picked it up then he bought a V2k without a test ride and there was no problems with any of the deals.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Best way for a used bike is to have the transaction take place. Put the money in the bank and sign a simple agreement to have the purchaser bring the bike back after two hours undamaged if it is not to their standards. After two hours the deal is done. If they try to bring the bike back damaged or dropped then you are covered. It works great for both buyer and seller. I've done it both ways and once went and got my money back no problem since we were on the same page. Communication is key.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts