Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I recently took a little spill on my Ninja and I'll be getting the replacement parts in very soon. I'm pretty sure nothing major got messed up, but of course I want to be sure. I was planning on riding it up and down my street a few times to see if it felt like the forks were bent..is this a good way to test for this? And, if not, what would you guys suggest?

Also, here's my crash thread for reference.
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/what-i-learned-today/123025-pine-straw-grass-ouch.html

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Take it into your local Kawasaki dealer and have them look at it. I can't remember what the tool/gauge is called, but they will have something to determine if they are bent. I had to take one of my bikes in to have it checked. Not only could the forks be bent, but there could be damage to the frame. It doesn't cost much and it's worth the piece of mind.

EDIT: I just looked at your pictures and read the other thread. It looks like the side of the bike took all of the damage, a basic lowside. The fact that you didn't ride directly into something and go over the bars you are probably fine. In the end, it's your call. If they don't charge much to look at it, I would still take it in, only because you would hate to miss something and find out the hard way later on down the road.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Worst case scenario, what could bent forks do while I'm riding? I'll ask the shop about it too.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm more concerned about cracks. Those are your weak points that could lead to a total failure and accident. At the very least I would take off all of your plastics and check the frame/welds (the headset area). If the forks were damaged they will leak.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, with the deal we got as a replacement the only thing we won't have extra is a frame. I will inspect though.

·
bustedfeet
2,662 Posts
You could try placing a small rectangular piece of glass on the fork tubes to see if it rocks. check. rotate the tubes. check. rotate. etc

Or you could disassemble the forks & roll the tubes on a glass table.

You might be able to check your upper triple by placing it on a glass table to see if it rocks. That's how I discovered a bent upper triple from my old KZ650 - it rockedd when pressing down on one corner (the replacement didn't rock). It might be possible to check the lower triple as well.

You could compress the forks to see if they stick. If your forks are pressurized, a lower psi would make it easier to do.

Just some ideas.

·
I ride what I like
389 Posts
You could try placing a small rectangular piece of glass on the fork tubes to see if it rocks. check. rotate the tubes. check. rotate. etc

Or you could disassemble the forks & roll the tubes on a glass table.

You might be able to check your upper triple by placing it on a glass table to see if it rocks. That's how I discovered a bent upper triple from my old KZ650 - it rockedd when pressing down on one corner (the replacement didn't rock). It might be possible to check the lower triple as well.

You could compress the forks to see if they stick. If your forks are pressurized, a lower psi would make it easier to do.

Just some ideas.

+1

If you end up taking apart the forks then you might as well go ahead and replace the seals and oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts