Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok 2002 1500 nomad fi V&H bagger duels, just did a woody filter mod from the gadget site and removed the reed system and cold air system. Capped the two cold air fittings at the throttle body also plugged the one for the reed system. Hooked up the TFI got a good light started her up warmed it up good and checked the #1 pot setting at 2000rpm and at any setting other the off the 1 o'clock position the rpm drops per the TFI instructions if the bike won't take fuel with pot#1 there "may" be problem
here's the instructions I guess the stock ecu could be rich already in which case I would need a dynatek or pc111 to take fuel away
I think I'll pull the tank again and make sure I didn't knock off any vacuum lines while I was pulling the cold air and reeds hoses.

Motorcycle
Fuel injected bikes all have the same exact fuel curve and is corrected everyday by the on board weather
station. Nothing is leaner than a stock fuel injection map. So with our box on and the bike fully
warmed up, if you slowly turn on the green pot and the engine does not accept any more fuel (RPM
drops when adding fuel) then you “may” have one or more of these problems.
(Order from most common to least common)
1. Engine not fully warmed up.
2. A vacuum leak on the intake.
3. High lift cams affecting map at light loads and low RPM.
4. Cylinder head temp sensor malfunction.
5. The loss of TPS and ECU sync.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
You need to ride it a couple miles to get the ECU off the cold start circuit. It takes mine about two miles. From my house I'm on a 55 mph road at that time and can feel when the cold start "shuts off". Takes longer than you'd think.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
makes sense, is that where the cylinder head temp sensor comes into play?
it was pretty cool here today and it's not acting like a vacuum leak.
Guess I know what the cold idle solenoid system did now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So did the solenoids help make it drivable till it warms up just wondering how it will be different with the mods I did

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
In a way yes. The ICS's are a controlled vacuum leak to try and help hold a more constant idle speed (and clatter annoyingly). No vacuum leak and it will be slightly richer. Some people don't like removing the ICS's because their cold idle speed is lower causing them to have to use the "choke" because they leave their bike sitting idling warming up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never really heard the clatter maybe I do a fake left side woody and put the solenoids there and wrap them in foam to cut noise and they can draw filtered air and I'll have that balanced look again

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think I'll find a spot to mount the solenoids I can see where this cold start thing might get old, plenty of hiding spots on a nomad to hide things

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try it without them I haven't been able to ride it because of the rain and too many wet leaves stuck to the road right now

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your help got to ride it today after it was good and warm I could get the TFI to adjust it was very vague in the adjustment of pot #1 but I did get the slightest rpm change and ended up at 1:15 she has allot more get up and go now that's for sure. I think I'll go ahead and have it dyno'd so I'll know all is well with the mixture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.