Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE THAT RESPONDED TO MY PLEA FOR HELP. THE ADVICE WAS RIGHT ON THE MONEY.. 8) . I WENT AHEAD AND PUT IT THE SHOP.. :? ... JOHNNYROX88

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the fuel gets inside the cylinder it gets into the crankcase too, so your oil is contaminated and lost its lubricating capability. Fix the fuel overflow (probably is the float which is stuck or the valve must be cleaned or replaced) first, change the oil and only after that use the bike again.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
FUEL

I agree with the oil change and oil filter, too. I would not crank the fuel out the way you did, you could really mess things up and bend some internals. There should be a petcock valve for the fuel and I would seriously find it. Just like a Thermos (tm) when you dump out hot water or coffee and then you put the cap on it to let it cool it will create a vacuum...the old days of canning fruits and such too...so definatily shut the gas off. the vacuum will suck it in as it cools off...and it will only get worse every time you do it. There may already be some damage done...but have a PM with JOEY and he will set you up with the right guys to ask...seems like the FORUM gang is slacking on this one for you. I know guys complain about the prices of manuals, but the price can save hundreds of dollars in maintenance...you don't even have to tell anyone that you bought one if you don't want to...Personally I have ALWAYS shut my gas off because I have seen a cracked fuel line leak and a guys bike go up in a ball of flame...one time will change you!

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
FUEL and putting it in the shop

What did they actually find? I know that I personally turn off the petcock even if I go into a resturaunt...as the bike cools it creates a vacuum...like canning in the old days...But was it a gasket, or what and where???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuel in rear cyl. problem solved

some o-rings were bad still but mainly the needles were worn out...i found even when i turned the petcock off it drained the carb bowl... i thought maybe float stuck but seems not...still waiting for her to get out of the shop....it takes awhile to get parts here in grand junction CO...there have only been a few afternoons i could have ridden but not too many so i can wait a little longer...

johnnyrox88

ps i will turn off the fuel no matter what....i never got a for sure answer but as there is an off position i think it best also...

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Gas leaking

Better to have her in the shop now and lose as little riding time...besides leaking is NEVER a good thing...I'm sure that you will find a petcock...my buddy had one broken giving him lots of problems...Thanks for the return information...good thata you found the internal problems too...besides running rich...your plugs should have read blackish...You should probably replace them too and keep them as spares. Clean them with either a sonic cleaner or just take brake clean then let them set on the shelf...heres one...Be careful not to exceed the torque limits when installing a plug...they don't have to be much more than snmug...use a torqu wrench if you have one...you will be surprised how little pressure it takes! And WHILe we're on hte subject...ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO PUT ANYTHING ON THE THREADS OF A PLUG???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts