Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was Thanksgiving ’09. The plan was to head out to my sister and BIL’s place in Hesperia. We live in Orange Co. This was going to be the wife’s first time riding with me. I would ride my ’04 Kawi 1500 Vulcan Nomad out there, my first longish ride since it’s purchase in June. Friday morning, left my house, headed for the 210 east and Hwy 18 up to Crestline. Meet up with BIL, then down the back side of the San Gabriel Mtns via 138 to Summit Valley Rd to his place. Good ride. Turkey and trimmings with desserts, then cigars and wine on the patio.

A cold front was expected. It rained a little on Friday night. Saturday morning showed snow on the mountains and it was just cloudy and cool enough at 45 degrees that the girls bailed. Undaunted, we boys decided on a test ride. The temp dropped even further as a huge dark cloud moved in, and at the fuel stop, it began to drizzle. This was the PONR. We decided a cocktail by the fire sounded better than getting drenched, and headed for the barn, ten miles away. Within minutes, it was raining hard, a high-desert cloudburst, 38 degrees. At the house, the fire was great, as were the cocktails, snacks and video games.

Sunday dawned clear and cool. A massive breakfast at the Mile High Café at the small airport, then a quick ride, up old Rt. 66, through Barstow, back down the 247. Cranked the Nomad up as high as it would go, a slight incline, touched the century mark and it had no more. Over some nameless summit, on the decline, touched 110 and that’s all she wrote. My BIL passed me on his dual-sport Beemer, but not by much. On to Hwy 18, back to Hesperia. Great ride! Little traffic, dry roads, warm sun, high 50s. Decided to leave the Nomad out in Hesperia for a bit to take in the backroad riding out there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some weekends it's a north Ga. mountain run and others it's a south Ga. wide open plains run. Two totally different rides but both are great fun.

One day I want to trailer my bike out west behind my restored 68 Mustang for some really cool sightseeing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.