Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Still Kickin
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have a very close friend who's husband was killed in Iraq in January 2006. She had their second daughter in April 2006. She pretty much has her hands full so my wife and I do her yard work during the summer. Our kids are grown and hers are like grandkids to us.

A couple of weeks ago she caught a flight out of Nashville for California to attend a gathering of military wives and children who had lost husbands and fathers. When she got back she had quite a story to tell.

They traveled on a tour bus at least part of the time. She was carrying all the stuff for the youngest daughter and the slightly older one as well. If you've had kids, you know it's like moving day everytime you go somewhere. When she got off the bus and gathered all her stuff and guided the kids along the way, she accidentally left her purse on the bus. By the time she realized it, the bus was back at the barn and someone had stolen her purse with all her money, cards, Military ID, etc. She was a long way from home with nothing but their clothes. That's the bad part.

The good part is that two of California's finest gave her $20 to buy breakfast for the kids until she could get more money wired to her. Best of all, and she smiled when she told us this, at every airport and stop along their way, the Patriot Guard was there to take care of their luggage and help in any way they could. It was obvious how thankful she was.

There are some really evil people out there, but when this lady was about as low as she had been since January 06, the Patriot Guard made a real difference in her life.

I chuckled when she told me that the youngest daughter thought every bike was Mike.

Mike

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing it!

·
www.learntoride.org
1,364 Posts
I wish I'd been off work to help at the airport.
So, Mike, do you live in Clarksville? We're South of Nashville, neighbors!!

·
Still Kickin
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I'd been off work to help at the airport.
So, Mike, do you live in Clarksville? We're South of Nashville, neighbors!!
Actually I live in Kingston . . . East Tennessee. Our neighbor lived in Clarksville until shortly after her second daughter was born. Her folks are here so she moved back close to them. If you're in Tennessee, we're still neighbors though!!
Mike

·
www.learntoride.org
1,364 Posts
Made me pull out a map. There it is, right on the TN River by the interstate.
I've ridden as far East as McMinnville. Looking at the map now, wow, I was far from home. Goes to show that I'll go further and wider in a group than solo. We're in Santa Fe, pronounced Santa "Fee", not "Fay", but you probably know about TN pronunciationating.
That's great that you and your wife are supplimental grandparents for those little girls. As our daughter is slim on grandparents, I've come to believe the more supplimental grandparents, the better. I didn't believe that at first.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Thanks for sharing Mike. We need more people that care and less people to worry about.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Very touching. Cool to know that in this crazy society that there are still good people out there.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Good story. Thank you for sharing it with us Mike.

·
Still Kickin
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made me pull out a map. There it is, right on the TN River by the interstate.
I've ridden as far East as McMinnville. Looking at the map now, wow, I was far from home. Goes to show that I'll go further and wider in a group than solo. We're in Santa Fe, pronounced Santa "Fee", not "Fay", but you probably know about TN pronunciationating.
That's great that you and your wife are supplimental grandparents for those little girls. As our daughter is slim on grandparents, I've come to believe the more supplimental grandparents, the better. I didn't believe that at first.
I'd never heard of Santa Fe Tennessee before. You're in a good area for riding. I want to ride down to McKenzie in West Tennessee sometime, but I need to find a good route around Nashville. I don't want to go through there on I-40.

My wife and I raised two girls and we are a few months short of having grandkids of our own so we are practicing on the neighbor kids. There's a fine line to chocolate. You want to give them enough to spin them up, but not enough that they throw up the evidence when they get home.;)
Mike

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Great story and thank you for sharing it with us!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts