Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a couple of weeks so far on business in Cornwall, UK with another week to go. Frequent a pub in Bude (Brendon Arms) among others. Let met tell you, the Brits like to drink and drink a lot, some of it seems different to an American. I haven't seen so much pub activity since the 1980's in the US. The pubs here have outdoor seating, and the drinking starts around 2 PM and continues until midnight. Then it stops suddenly.

Thank God for Guiness Extra Cold (45F), otherwise I'd have to drink regular Guiness (55F). Ask for a Carlsberg with lime and you get a couple of shots of lime liquor of some sort in the bottom of your pint glass (no extra charge) before topping off with Carlsberg. A particular local favorite seems to be Wood's Old Navy 100 proof rum over ice. Sometimes with Coke, but the Captain's got few takers. Wine spritzer's (WTH?) served by mixing wine with soda or lemonade (!!!). Local cask ale's are very popular and it's nice getting an honest pint beer (no foam here). Hard apple cider or pear cider (7% alcohol) is on the same tap rack as the beer. The gents drink 4.4% ale and the ladies drink 7% cider, go figure. 50/50 mix of dry apple/pear cider is quite popular.

Pitch, Southern Comfort is in every pub, along with Jack Daniels. Just got done talking with a group of 20-something ladies commiserating after one their boyfriend's brother's funeral by doing massive shots of Southern Comfort and Smirnroff. They were dressed more like going to the prom than going to a funeral. Each was wearing a touch of black, but not much.

This Monday is the May Bank Holiday (May 4) in Britain, a national holiday. That's the name of it, a Bank Holiday. They also have a Spring Bank Holiday (May 25) and a Summer Bank Holiday (August 31). I've decided that whenever I need a Monday off, I'm declaring a Bank Holiday in the US.

Oh, to be 25 again....

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Nothing can compare to drinking in British pubs. Nothing. My favorite is my friend's local in Weston-super-Mare. Whenever I visit him, I'm in that pub every single night. :)

·
09 1700 Nomad
221 Posts
I work in a joint US/UK Navy Command. We have about 50 UK Navy and RAF personnel and we have to give many briefings to our young new US Navy checkins about not trying to keep up with them when it comes to drinking and if they do try they will also have to keep in mind that the Brits will have no quams about fighting. Overall I have to say 23 years in the Navy with 9 different commands under my belt and this is by far my most favorite. The Brits are awesome to work with. Oh yea we have smack a Brit day (July 4th) coming up soon too, that should be fun. J/K, we love our UK brothers and sisters.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Actually mkelleythe Lime is a cordial (prob Rosens) It's known as Lager and lime - no booze in the lime though - and as for the not so cold darker ales and traditional Stouts there is a reason for this...... what temp do you drink red wine at? The majority would agree not chilled - thats because the heavier the flavour the better you can taste it when it's not super cold (so the bitters and hoppy tastes are more recognizable in the beers when you don't super cool the beer).....That being said a lot of lagers are sold cold in UK pubs.
I love the real ale pubs of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire....mmmmmmmm

·
Super Moderator
10,778 Posts
I work in a joint US/UK Navy Command. We have about 50 UK Navy and RAF personnel and we have to give many briefings to our young new US Navy checkins about not trying to keep up with them when it comes to drinking and if they do try they will also have to keep in mind that the Brits will have no quams about fighting. Overall I have to say 23 years in the Navy with 9 different commands under my belt and this is by far my most favorite. The Brits are awesome to work with. Oh yea we have smack a Brit day (July 4th) coming up soon too, that should be fun. J/K, we love our UK brothers and sisters.
Man, ain't that the truth!! Had some UK Navy visitors in Charleston back in the '80s and I was assigned "baby sitting" duty. What a hoot! Drink, fight, shake hands, drink more, go to another bar, repeat. I still miss those guys sometimes....

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
When I was in the Navy we stopped a few times in Scotland. WOW.

I watched an old mad down enough beer to float our submarine, and then shoot darts...... and did right well!

We had pulled into the British sub base there and, after hitting Glasgow with a friend we stopped in the enlisted club on the base (cheaper drinks). We had been there about 30 minutes when a British sailor comes up and asks; "So, are you blokes of the American boat?"

My first thought was, "oh boy, here comes the fight." But instead he said that there was no reason that we should be drinking alone, to come and join his mates.

They wouldn't let us buy a drink after that. We tried several times to pay for a round but they wouldn't hear of it. I asked why and they told me that they had just returned from Naval Air Station Bermuda, and they were "shown the town" by the Americans for several days. "And it's a bloody British colony!", he said. They said that this was their way of saying thanks.

Who was I to argue? :)

We ended up trading dolphins. I still have mine. Don't drink anymore, but harbor great memories of my mates from across the pond.

·
Former Vulcan Lady
4,225 Posts
This Monday is the May Bank Holiday (May 4) in Britain, a national holiday. That's the name of it, a Bank Holiday.
I didn't know it was a holiday in the UK. Now I know why my boss hasn't answered any of my e-mails.

And you are correct, they can drink. Apparently I am a legend in my company since a few years back we all went out on my next to last day visiting. No one made it to the office the next day except me and one other. They were impressed. Once I got home, I spent the next few days in bed. Never told them that.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
When I was in the Navy we stopped a few times in Scotland. WOW.

I watched an old mad down enough beer to float our submarine, and then shoot darts...... and did right well!

We had pulled into the British sub base there and, after hitting Glasgow with a friend we stopped in the enlisted club on the base (cheaper drinks). We had been there about 30 minutes when a British sailor comes up and asks; "So, are you blokes of the American boat?"

My first thought was, "oh boy, here comes the fight." But instead he said that there was no reason that we should be drinking alone, to come and join his mates.

They wouldn't let us buy a drink after that. We tried several times to pay for a round but they wouldn't hear of it. I asked why and they told me that they had just returned from Naval Air Station Bermuda, and they were "shown the town" by the Americans for several days. "And it's a bloody British colony!", he said. They said that this was their way of saying thanks.

Who was I to argue? :)

We ended up trading dolphins. I still have mine. Don't drink anymore, but harbor great memories of my mates from across the pond.
How long ago were you in the Navy? I have a cousin that was a CPO on attack subs, I think he was based out of Georgia.

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
Spent a week in Dublin. Company I used to work for had a largish office there.
The Dublin people were the primary software engineers for some of the products. Hehe...and man could those people drink!!!! Phew!!! Loved Ireland!
One of my co-workers took an assignment there for a year. When the year was up, he decided to live there. This was back in 2000. He is still there.

Lucky...

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
:biggrin:

we have 24 hour drinking licenses, but they're really expensive, so most pubs still close at midnight.
And Cornwall isn't the best for it's post-midnight nightlife as far as i'm aware.

In London you can leave the pubs at midnight closing (sometimes 2) then go onto a bar for closing at 3ish and then onto a club (if you can still walk) for more partying until 5/6am closing :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
How long ago were you in the Navy? I have a cousin that was a CPO on attack subs, I think he was based out of Georgia.
6 years. I was out of Norfolk, on the Baton Rouge (SSN-689).

I miss some of it, but not all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts