Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I started riding a little over a year and-a-half ago, I always read or heard about how litre bikes are "top heavy" or are "huge" and have to be "lugged" around the twisties or through traffic. Then people would add that the power of a litre bike is too difficult to control. If you wanted the perfect combination of power and agility, it was in a 600cc SuperSport or it was in the coveted GSX-R 750. "...the 600's are faster into the through the turns whether they be on the track or in the canyons...lighter, more flickable than the 1000's...".

Well, I look at the spec's for the new litre SuperSports and with things like the TCBI that the ZX10-R has or the 388 lbs. dry CBR1000RR, are those claims of the litre bike being a "gigantic, heavy monster" to handle a thing of the past?

I ask because in a 500R forum there was a thread discussing downshifting which became this "lively" discussion on the pros/cons of clutchless shifting, when it's best...racing this, racing that...you don't know what you're talking about, blah...blah...blah. Well, I joked that if they got a litre bike no one would have to worry about downshifting because they could do all of their city riding in first gear. An interesting response I got was, "...That is true. however, is not the same to try and maneuver a behemoth like a litre bike as it is a nimble thing like my little ex-250...". I wanted to respond and say that as far as the Z1000 goes, I think it's easier to ride than the 500R (admittedly I attribute a big part of that from the fact that the 500R is 20 y/o technology). Please note that I'm not saying that my Z1000 is as easy to "flick" as a 250R.

So what do you all think about opinions of the latest litre Street Bikes (SuperSport or Naked)? Mostly fact or fiction?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Good points. I rode a Ducati GT1000 last week and not only was the throttle extremely easy to control but thing was as nimble as a frickin Schwinn. Make that a Huffy.

I consider myself a fairly "natural" motorcycle rider...and I don't mean naturally confident...I mean naturally sensible and capable of making all the right decisions and modus operandi while riding.

Behemothe? Might need to go to the V2K or the Honda Valkeyrie before you can throw a word like that around... ;D

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
This is ONLY my opinion, but I don't think a liter bike is any harder to ride, for an experienced rider. New technology has just come so far and they have done so much to make them light. Even with my 650R I'd have a hard time with anyone telling me it's not light enough to flick through traffic and better than a 250.

What I've often pondered was the racing perspective of the different classes. On tight courses, would a 600 be faster than liter bikes? I don't know because I've never had experience on them.

so at the risk of hijacking the thread, who would win on a tight technical course, 600s or 1000s?????

·
Registered
96 Posts
liter bikes dont' handle as well as a 600 for a normal rider. I have a 636 and do alot of trackdays. My buddy rides a 1000rr and i can pass him on a short track all day. I even had a higher top speed them him at beaver run. He's a good rider but you have to be careful cuz the power will make the rear slide out in the corners... his 1000rr compared to my 636 feels super topheavy and no where near as flickable. We started riding at the same time so we're both about the same skill level

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is ONLY my opinion, but I don't think a liter bike is any harder to ride, for an experienced rider.

no way..... when i hit the apex on my 636 i'm wide open throttle..... on a 1000 you'd be on your *** if you did that. you need a lot more control and experience to ride a liter fast if its not a strait line.

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
Depends on so many factors that you cant really compare 600's to 1000's on any type of track. However, if professional race rider where too use both bikes on the same course i would say the liter is going to take the checkered. However, i'm happy with my lil 636 she's all size i need for what i intend on doing, i'd go 1000 if i wanted to "drag" race but other than that there is no need for me to buy a new bike just to get an extra boost in HP/TQ. JIMHO! :p

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
no way..... when i hit the apex on my 636 i'm wide open throttle..... on a 1000 you'd be on your *** if you did that. you need a lot more control and experience to ride a liter fast if its not a strait line.
True, but my assumption is that an experienced rider would know how to control either. All other things being equal (like experience/time on the bike), I don't know if there is all that much difference in the difficulty of riding either.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Depends on so many factors that you cant really compare 600's to 1000's on any type of track. However, if professional race rider where too use both bikes on the same course i would say the liter is going to take the checkered. However, i'm happy with my lil 636 she's all size i need for what i intend on doing, i'd go 1000 if i wanted to "drag" race but other than that there is no need for me to buy a new bike just to get an extra boost in HP/TQ. JIMHO! :p
Agreed Kev. I have often said that my 650 is more than enough for any sane person to go fast on streets/curves.

I just thought it used to be that 600s had a distinct advantage on tight courses because of "quickness" where on courses that were more open and sweeping, the liters did because of "power". I'm just not sure either is true any more because liters have become more quick and 600s more powerful.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
We started riding at the same time so we're both about the same skill level
you can not believe that just because you started riding at the same time that your skill level is about the same. I know several that started way after me that are better and some that started before me that I can out ride.

everyone knows that on a tight technical course that a 600 will stomp a 1K, don't really think it has to do with the bike being harder to ride, power delivery is what comes into play.

on a longer more open course the 1K bike will walk away from the 600 without breaking a sweat.

as for what I think the original question was. it's in the geometry of the bike that makes one handle differently from another. some bikes are like riding a knife edge while some are more stable.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
can't agree with you. we have a local HD dealership that has a team that is racing an XBRR, they have put plenty of extras on the bike and have a couple decent riders. I don't remember the times they were running at Hallette but when they got on a 600 and ran the track on the same day they cut a couple seconds off their time. the XBRR is a 900 +/-.

a liter bike is not just for drag racing. :p

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
I am buys right now...Or else I would be verbose...I will respond when I can...There are a ton of myths....Tons. One person hit it on the nail though...They are not comparable...I will respond later.
I am so waiting on this. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Harder to ride with a new rider, yes. An experienced rider should be able to ride it just as well or easier than the smaller SS bikes. Although it will still never beat the 250R in terms of sheer fun or flickability

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Haha hey Eidian, I saw that comment. :mrgreen:

I'd have to say that having rode a 250, a 500 (my ex) and an '88 CBR600 all in the same day I found the 250 the most "flickable". It surprised me as my riding order went 500>250>600. The 250 made the 500 seem like a tank, and moving from 250>600 it felt like I was riding a space shuttle! I didn't feel as confident leaning over on the 250 but it had stock tires and suspension. It was VERY responsive to turn input though. I feel like I could avoid an accident in a turn much easier on the 250 than the other bikes.

The 600 definitely cornered better. It stuck to the road and it's an '88. But it just didn't seem like it wanted to start cornering; it required a little more body language to "convince" it. Also keep in mind that there have been several hundreds of millions of dollars in R+D put into frame geometry of sport bikes since 1988.

I think the thing here is that when you're not used to a bike you obviously pick up on these differences in handling. The poster probably hasn't had the chance to ride a 1000cc bike for very long if at all, or it might have been one of the iron sleds of the early 80s.

I dunno, my two cents.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I still cant fathom what riding on a 1000 is like, hell im scared to hop on a 08 750, maybe even 600. My POS 95 super sport is such a rush and scary even though I havnt really went fast on it, I just can imagin the accelaration of a extra 150 to 400ccs added on top of 13 years of extra technology.

I still wanna find out though, well I could look at it this way, by the time Im ready for it that nice juicy black and orange k7 gsxr 1000 will be so much cheaper to buy/fix/upgrade

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
1000's have a higher rotating mass than a 600. If both bikes were the same weight the 1000 would feel slightly heavier than a 600. Cornering? The cornering ability of a bike is directly related to the wheelbase and geometry, which 600's, with a shorter wheelbase and steeper geometry, are usually better suited to this task. Not by alot though, just slightly. However the extra power of a 1000 can usually overcome the slight disadvantages, so they usually are quicker in most cornering situation because they can get out of the corner harder. A 600 may be able to apex a corner a bit faster, but cannot come out of one with the same speed.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts