Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my dad told me that due to my lovely brother and sister, both older (sister 26, brother 24), he will no longer cosign for a bike because my siblings hurt his credit horribly. So now, I probably have to wait until i'm 18, which won't be until july 20th, to even think about getting a bike. I refuse though and I am going to fight to find another way or convince them. Hell, my parents are saying No to the MSF course until feb. because neither of them want to drop me off at the course and sign a parent consent forum.

orz.

·
Giggidy-Giggidy-Goo!
1,623 Posts
If your siblings hurt his credit as bad as you say, it might not be that he "won't" ...but that he "can't". As a parent now and, once upon a long time ago, a teenager, I'd advise you to see what you can do to have a little patience and take on a little more responsibility for the purchase. You didn't mention if you have a job and are actively saving any money. With a decent job, you can probably pay outright for a motorcycle when you turn 18 in July 2008 ...problem solved.

It's a good lesson your parents are trying to teach you ...life doesn't just hand you stuff whenever you want it, and credit is never a good quick solution. Waiting and saving for big purchases through life is a far better approach than doing what most other people do ...bury themselves so far into credit, they may never see daylight again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. Quit acting like a two-year-old.
That's great advice. But in seriousness, I realised soon after I posted this thread that I was just in a horrible mood and just needed to vent a little. I talked to the parents, things will work out. I have a job and will be paying monthly for the bike.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Been there, been there, been there & so have many peeps on these forums!!! Beagle is a wise man. Listen to him! It's hard & it sucks but saving for & buying your own just might also save your life! Having to do the work 1st will help to make you a more careful rider cuz you already realize the sacrifice you had to make to get what you want & how much more you'll have to sacrifice if you tear it up.

I know you couldn't care less but I was in my 20's before my 1st dirt bike (my dad wouldn't even consider it) & then had to sell it. Went 25 yrs & was in my 50's before I got my cruiser cuz I had to do the family thing & just couldn't afford a bike! Work, save, do it yourself! A year is nothing! You can do it & believe it or not, you'll enjoy it even more, cuz you bought it with your money & you'll show your dad you are indeed a responsible young man!!:biggrin: 8)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been there, been there, been there & so have many peeps on these forums!!! Beagle is a wise man. Listen to him! It's hard & it sucks but saving for & buying your own just might also save your life! Having to do the work 1st will help to make you a more careful rider cuz you already realize the sacrifice you had to make to get what you want & how much more you'll have to sacrifice if you tear it up.

I know you couldn't care less but I was in my 20's before my 1st dirt bike (my dad wouldn't even consider it) & then had to sell it. Went 25 yrs & was in my 50's before I got my cruiser cuz I had to do the family thing & just couldn't afford a bike! Work, save, do it yourself! A year is nothing! You can do it & believe it or not, you'll enjoy it even more, cuz you bought it with your money & you'll show your dad you are indeed a responsible young man!!:biggrin: 8)
Cool, reading this makes me feel better haha. I'm crazy when it comes to things I want.. for example, I have just recently convinced myself to stay here in tallahassee to do college. My mind was set to move out RIGHT after high school. I'm learning slowly from my stupidity :)

But for everything big I own like my tv, computer, xbox, ipod, etc, I was able to save up from my job. I guess for a bike is the next big step to saving lol.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Most teens have grown up in an instant society. To your credit, you seem more mature than most others your age. It may take longer, but owning it outright will give you more satisfaction than "right now".

My manager at work hassles me all the time about my old bike. "Just go buy a new one", he says. I tell him I can't do that, and this bike means so much more than my Shadow ever did. I know that each piece is in its proper place, torqued to the right spec, and lovingly put together, because I did it myself.

Piece is my baby, and eventually I will get another, newer bike, but this one has taught me more than any new bike ever will.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
All great and wise advice to you young man. All I can add is my support to those offering that advice and encouragement for you to continue to get what you want under your own power as an individual consumer. Everything has more value if you bought and or built it yourself.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hang in there man, the more you work for it the better you will appreciate it. You seem to have a good head on your shoulder, so just keep looking up and dont hesitate to ask the great people here for advise, alot of wisdom here.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
I'm 18n myself and bought my bike outright... no payments or anything to that matter... now that i am in college i am glad i saved enough to buy it outright rather than have to work much during school. i am an A Biology major and plan on keeping it that way. Not working really helps that. Plan Ahead man.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the great advice. I have decided to take it slow and focus on my grades and school more than the bike. I guess I just got a little carried away because I have always been dependent on getting a ride with someone else or having a parent to chauffeur me around. I never got my permit or drivers license because honestly I never wanted a car. I am going to wait till 18 to get that.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
hey gkhyde,

just because you are waiting, you can still be an active member of this forum, and learn a few things along the way.

besides, sometimes waiting for something you really want, can be worth it

·
www.learntoride.org
1,364 Posts
Now you're sounding a lot more mature.
I did stupid things when I was right out of high school. My parents convinced me to let them sell my horse during my first year of college because I wasn't riding every day. The choices they presented were sell, ride daily, or pay for upkeep. I was taking a full load of classes and dating the guy I married, and later divorced. I wished I'd gotten a job earlier and paid for the horse upkeep.
Montly payments on something financed aren't really a good thing, especially when you're in college. The big risk is that if someone screws up and doesn't get your payment posted on time, even though you send it in on time, then you have a late penalty and they raise your interest rate, or, if the lendor looks at your credit report and sees anything they don't like, and they don't have to have much excuse, they can raise your interest rate. Having a monthly payment is stressful. Think of the worse-case scenario and decide if you can live with it. If the bike gets wrecked and you still owe on it, will the insurance company pay enough to pay it off? Stress. It'll ride much sweeter being paid for and owned outright.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
hey gkhyde,

just because you are waiting, you can still be an active member of this forum, and learn a few things along the way.

besides, sometimes waiting for something you really want, can be worth it
+1 stay with us!!!!!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yeh i'm not leaving lol. This forum is what makes 1st period go by at school :) I'm gonna start working a lot more since I was busy with school earlier. I have the time to work, and honestly, it keeps me busy and allows me to be more organized. Maybe within a few months I will have enough money to buy a good starter bike for cheap.

·
www.learntoride.org
1,364 Posts
He might not get a desk job.

Hyde, what DO you want to do when you grow up?
If you have any ideas, let me know, I'm always looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
So, my dad told me that due to my lovely brother and sister, both older (sister 26, brother 24), he will no longer cosign for a bike because my siblings hurt his credit horribly. So now, I probably have to wait until i'm 18, which won't be until july 20th, to even think about getting a bike. I refuse though and I am going to fight to find another way or convince them. Hell, my parents are saying No to the MSF course until feb. because neither of them want to drop me off at the course and sign a parent consent forum.

orz.
"Loan"? My parents NEVER cosigned for a loan for me on ANYTHING.

If you have to take out a loan, maybe you'd be better off rethinking this. Instead of spending several thousand dollars, find a smaller, used bike that you can save up and pay cash for (or that your parents can float the whole loan for you, instead of going to the bank).

Look around, there are some CLASSIC motorcycles out there at low prices, because of the mistaken idea that everyone needs to buy the latest and greatest. Go buy a $500 bike and put some elbow grease into it so that it looks and runs like a new one. No, it won't have the graphite and the latest paint scheme, but it won't look like every other motor in town, and it will be PAID OFF. For a guy your age, nothing beats the thrill of looking at the pink slip and seeing "Lienholder: NONE" -- and that's something that most of the guys on the latest motor will NEVER SEE.

Oh, BTW, older bikes usually come with lower insurance rates, so you save twice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He might not get a desk job.

Hyde, what DO you want to do when you grow up?
If you have any ideas, let me know, I'm always looking for suggestions.
I posted somewhere on one of my previous threads that I am going to Community College to take EMT training so that I can become a Firefighter. Also, when i'm 18, I am going to attend bartending school.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Loan"? My parents NEVER cosigned for a loan for me on ANYTHING.

If you have to take out a loan, maybe you'd be better off rethinking this. Instead of spending several thousand dollars, find a smaller, used bike that you can save up and pay cash for (or that your parents can float the whole loan for you, instead of going to the bank).

Look around, there are some CLASSIC motorcycles out there at low prices, because of the mistaken idea that everyone needs to buy the latest and greatest. Go buy a $500 bike and put some elbow grease into it so that it looks and runs like a new one. No, it won't have the graphite and the latest paint scheme, but it won't look like every other motor in town, and it will be PAID OFF. For a guy your age, nothing beats the thrill of looking at the pink slip and seeing "Lienholder: NONE" -- and that's something that most of the guys on the latest motor will NEVER SEE.

Oh, BTW, older bikes usually come with lower insurance rates, so you save twice.
I am keeping my eyes out on local dealers, craigslist, the newspaper and ebay on any bike that is relatively cheap. If you know any other sources I can use to find good deals please let me know :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts