Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Winter sucks!
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I don't know if it's really mid-winter.. but its about that time when we start really feeling the itch to ride. Of course it's 10 degrees outside and theres two feet of snow, so there'll be none of that :icon_frow

So, what are you guys doing to occupy yourselves this winter? (So jealous of you who don't have to put the bikes away! :mad: )

I've been pretty busy with the semester ending and exams that I haven't really been posting, but now that it's done I have more free time and I get to reading the forums again, I can't help thinking about the spring... I guess I'll play video games or something... :p

Well, only 3 more months...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I went for a ride last night (40degrees no snow on the road here in SW Michigan ;) )

But I'll be leaving the bike at my parents house when I go back up to school after x-mas break... When I'm not bogged down from school, I'm looking forward to some more snowmobiling :)

Oh yea, and Winter STARTED Dec. 22nd, lol

·
Winter sucks!
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish i had a snowmobile.. but they are so expensive, i'd rather just buy another bike!

and wow, no snow in michigan? I'm in Madison, WI and we've had quite a bit so far this year

·
Registered
96 Posts
My roommate at Ferris state has a few late 70s/ early 80s snowmobiles (Cheetah 440cc, Rupp, some 275cc) that are a BLAST. We went riding the snowmobiles in about a foot of snow in Central/Northern LP, but there isn't any snow down here in Kalamazoo...

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Ferris State? Don't they have almost more parties than Western Michigan State?

LOL

Good to see another Michigander on here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
snowmobiles are the best things out there for riders that live in snowy climates. trust the ballsout 1 if ya like fast bikes whippin through the twistys sleds are up your alley. haa havent registered mine in two years and i got the itch... mine are just grass dragged...(theres a sport) and occasionally winter raced. whatever, sleds are cool.

·
Winter sucks!
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love a sled, but I live in the city, don't have a truck (or trailer) and don't know anyone with one either. My cousin has some that I've ridden before, but he lives 4 hours away :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here in Iowa we've got snow and ice with the freezing temps.
So Ive been ordering all kind of goody's to put on my bike to get
it ready for SPRING

evileye

·
humble pie consumer
3,853 Posts
ok, this is a sport bike thread lamenting the winter down time. well here in the mountains of central cal. i have the same issues, i just bought a harley fxdb and can't take it out of the garage. 22 to 35 deg weather, icy canyon roads and sand all over the very roads i want to ride make it a bit of a challenge. hang tough.

·
Hates Helmet Hair
55 Posts
Did the last of my shopping today. The 6R cuts through the holiday traffic nicely. Wore my light jacket but didn't really need it with 75* sunshine. :razz:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
the good thing about where i live :cool: no snow...... temps are cool, but not overly cold (average between 0c and 5c in the mornings) i have pulled up at times and had to brush ice off my jacket...... but that is all. Although, i would love to live somewhere that had snow in the winter. On the down side...... riding in 40+ temps (110+) is not fun either with a leather jacket on :(

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
I rode the bike most of last week. mid 20's on the way in, high 30's on the way home then we got hit by a bunch of snow and ice. should be a some more riding weather still. thinking about taking the sport tires off and put the sport/tour tire back on for more contact patch.

·
Winter sucks!
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I rode the bike most of last week. mid 20's on the way in, high 30's on the way home then we got hit by a bunch of snow and ice. should be a some more riding weather still. thinking about taking the sport tires off and put the sport/tour tire back on for more contact patch.
wow, you're nuts! I wouldn't think of riding once salt hits the roads... and if there's a chance it can snow while i'm out... no chance (wouldn't want to be caught riding in snow!).

I put the bikes away a little before thanksgiving. It snowed the day before thanksgiving and they heavily salted the roads, so once that's out there, the bikes don't come out until spring.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ferris State? Don't they have almost more parties than Western Michigan State?

LOL

Good to see another Michigander on here.
I had always HEARD the Ferris State was a huge party school, but since I've lived in Kalamazoo (where Western Michigan University is located) I can safely say that the parties are way crazier at WMU... but there really isn't anything else to do at Ferris State (middle of no-where) except drink, haha

·
You did what?!
185 Posts
I had always HEARD the Ferris State was a huge party school, but since I've lived in Kalamazoo (where Western Michigan University is located) I can safely say that the parties are way crazier at WMU... but there really isn't anything else to do at Ferris State (middle of no-where) except drink, haha
Westerm Michigan definetly has more resources being in Kalamazoo. Although Ferris has grown and Big Rapids has been updated, I don't think Ferris can compare, which is what I loved about it. Nothing but country. I went there in the mid '80's.......there seemed to be a stream of cars going to Central Michigan and a steady stream from Central to Ferris. I kept to my studies though...........

:lol:

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts
I wish i had a snowmobile.. but they are so expensive, i'd rather just buy another bike!

and wow, no snow in michigan? I'm in Madison, WI and we've had quite a bit so far this year
NEW sleds are expensive, but at least around here, older sleds are CHEAP and plentiful. The last one I had I think I gave $300 for.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
wow, you're nuts! I wouldn't think of riding once salt hits the roads... and if there's a chance it can snow while i'm out... no chance (wouldn't want to be caught riding in snow!).

I put the bikes away a little before thanksgiving. It snowed the day before thanksgiving and they heavily salted the roads, so once that's out there, the bikes don't come out until spring.
I only have about a 10 min. ride to work. mostly straight so it's not that bad. 70-80 on the highway for about 4 miles the rest is city type riding. as long as there isn't snow/ice on the road I'll ride. the salt isn't that bad, sand, that's another story.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I only have about a 10 min. ride to work. mostly straight so it's not that bad. 70-80 on the highway for about 4 miles the rest is city type riding. as long as there isn't snow/ice on the road I'll ride. the salt isn't that bad, sand, that's another story.
Here they lay the salt down so thick it's not funny. Anything between Late november-mid april is white after 5 minutes on the road. Its no wonder the average life expectancy of a car here is 7-8 years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts