Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I was looking into buying a new ninja 500R. This will be my first bike. I have been riding dirtbikes and ATVs since I was nine years old. The only on road experience I have is with a Honda Magna 750. Anyway, I wanted to know what some people pay for insurance on this bike. Also if they have any tickets or accidents on there record.

One other thing, how much should I have to pay. I'm 21 years old with one accident on my record from back when i was 17.

Any Info would be great.

Andrew9578

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have heard from some different websites, which I cannot remember at the moment, that you can expect to pay around $150/6mo on a brand new 500r. This obviously changes according to where you live, your driving record, etc. but whatever you pay I'm sure it won't be much at all. Also, I don't know how it's handled where you live but here in Maryland whenever you have an accident/violation, after three years it no longer plays a negative effect on your insurance rates. It sort of gets erased or overlooked. You might want to look into that as would most likely help you save even more money.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Having just bought a new 500R the other week, hopefully I can help. Keep in mind this is my very first bike and I live in a very congested area - Washington, DC suburbs. However, I have a perfect driving record and am only months away from that magic 25 year old mark. I was a little dissapointed by the quotes I got.

GEICO - don't even think about it, and my family and I have had Geico our whole lives with spotless records. You ready...they wanted $3300 per year full coverage. I did everything short of calling them idiots. $2200 of the was collision. I told them I didn't need insurance costing more than half the price of the bike.........

PROGRESSIVE - $700 per year, without collision and with most of the coverages bumped up from the state minimum. Collision would've put nearly another $1000 on the cost per year.

I went with Progressive, as I was looking to get insured quick, but in hindsight maybe I should've checked around a little better. I am thinking mine is so high because of where I live, but I'm not sure. Progressive claims to be the top insurer of motorcycles, but from what I've heard....I'm paying more than people expected.

FYI - If you are financed through Kawasaki (or one of there subs), you are only required to have collision if you are financing more than $10k.

I'm interested in what others are paying also, whether they have collision, and what kind of area they live in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride. I just bought an '04 500r about 3 weeks for my first bike. I pay $888 for the entire year for full coverage, and I have a few speeding tix on my record. If you are financing you're bike thru a bank you will need to have full coverage, but if you finanace it thru Kawasaki's Good Time Credit Card you own the bike yourself and won;t need the full coverage (even though I did opt to have it full insured). I hope this info helps and happy riding!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
State Farm

Hey !

I am 19 and have a clean record.. mc license for bout 4 months after MSF and good grades discount i pay 120$ per 6 months but thats for 50/100/50 liabilty only and its lower because we have 2 other cars insured with state farm...

Anything more for older people should be absurd...
Jrodan

·
Registered
85 Posts
fyi - I called State Farm yesterday, turns out they will only insure motorcycles if you already have a policy of some sort with them already. I'm still trying to figure out why I am being charged so much........must be the area (lots of people = lots of theft and lots of congestion = lots of accidents).

·
Registered
395 Posts
In North Carolina, full coverage for my '88 EX500-A2 is slightly less than $1000/yr with State Farm. Five hundred dollar deductable, standard limits. That's with two cars and renter's insurance. I believe my agent told me that they don't offer discounts on cycles, since they have to write them as a seperate policy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You guys are crazy spending that much money on insurance. I have GMAC insurance with all kinds of accident's and violations and I have full coverage on my 500r for only $300 a full year! If you pay more than that your are definately getting ripped off!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Man, that BikelinE gave me a $50 quote on my insurance for just Il state min on an 85 ZN1100 Anyone use them or heard of them? I may buy a policy through them

I will have to run a google on them and read up on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BIKELINE

I heard about BikeLine from a friend who rides an SV650. He originally heard about BikeLine from other bikers on the www.SVrider.com forum. I haven't had any trouble with BikeLine so far. In fact, their phone reps are much more helpful and friendly than those from Progressive, Geiko and other companies that I spoke with during the quoting process.

Good Luck!

-Betty

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow

Bikeline sounds good.. and you who got 300 from state farm for the whole year full is awsome too..

like i said my 2000 five hundred is 120 per 6 mo.

the only hting state farm said/asked was the cc's Kawasaki says 498cc so thats a light bike :) so i pay evenless.. i asked what other things go into the calculation for liabilty and they said just engine size.. ?true? but you need to be insured with them .. i had a higher rate when I was not on my parents car... our agent isn't fair though.. my siter is 26 and she's been out of hte house for 4 years and they jsut stopped charging us for her.. its not even legal coverage past 25.. they wanna ge tevery last penny...mofos..

·
Registered
395 Posts
jonesie619 said:
In North Carolina, full coverage for my '88 EX500-A2 is slightly less than $1000/yr with State Farm. Five hundred dollar deductable, standard limits. That's with two cars and renter's insurance. I believe my agent told me that they don't offer discounts on cycles, since they have to write them as a seperate policy.
My bad, I was thinking of my total for the bike, 2 cars and renters insurance. :oops: Actually, it's $306/year for the bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts