Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 800A has stock pegs. Lefty foot's toe stays below the shift lever, and it is comfortable. The right one is tricky. Since I started riding, I kept the right toe slightly above the brake pedal. Recently I suddenly noticed that my right foot gets tired after 20+ mile run. Due to short arm and height, I sit close to the fuel tank, and this makes it worse, because my right foot has to work real hard to keep the toe up.
I tried different positions. The toe under the brake peddal - comfortable and symmetrical, but takes split of second to use the brake. The toe by the right side of the peddal - still comfortable but the toe is pointing 2 oclock.
How are you guys are doing, and any suggestions?
The floorboard will fix this problem, but too pricy...

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
I always keep my toes along side the brake and shifter at an angle comfortable for me. the 900 lt i have now has floorboards and i never noticed what i do on that i will let ya know next time i ride

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
I sometimes hover my toe over the brake pedal, but I usually keep the balls of my feet on the pegs and move them up when I need to shift/brake.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have the floor boards and my right foot is right behind the brake peddle at a comfortable position. I have always driven standard shift so used to moving right foot from gas to brake don't see any problem, doubt it takes any longer to move foot than move fingers to front brake in an emergency. Somebody tell me different?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I rest my toes on both the brake lever and the shift lever. I don't put any weight on them, but they are there when I need them.

Why do you keep your foot under the shift lever? The whole point of pressing down to shift down is that you can quickly downshift if needed in an emergency (either increased engine braking when stopping or quicker acceleration). I keep my foot above for that reason.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Mine are always off to the side of the levers. My feet move to them so fast when they have to that I don't consider it an emergency. Plus I worry about hitting a bump or something and smacking something when I don't want to. Same reasons I don't cover my hand levers.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I adjusted the pedal stopper bolt and the the brake light switch. My toe is little lower than before, so it is better. It could not go any low, because then it would be too low when pressed. I will see how it feels tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh boy.. It is too low. I am going to raise up little bit, and that will do. I think that I will be just fine with pegs. No need for the floorboard yet. Very happy he he...

·
Registered
22 Posts
If anyone has adjusted the shifter on the left side for floorboards, can you confirm what appears to be a single bolt that you remove around the shifter, slide off the shifter, move a couple splines, and retighten? Looks pretty straightforward, yes?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anyone has adjusted the shifter on the left side for floorboards, can you confirm what appears to be a single bolt that you remove around the shifter, slide off the shifter, move a couple splines, and retighten? Looks pretty straightforward, yes?
I adjusted the gear shifter in the past. I just made the tie rod (hopefully correct name) longer or shorter.

·
got lost along the way
23,356 Posts
Lower the brake pedal it's self and then adjust the brakes up so you don't have to "over extend" your foot when you brake. Any decent mechanic can make these adjustments in minutes...prob no charge. It's just a tiny bolt that needs to be move.

It makes all the diff in the world. Then you can ride with your foot almost level and the pedal is not being touched, yet you are still over top of it incase of emergancys. You can also adjust up your shifter so there's more "wiggle" room under it for your other foot. Once you get these set up..no more tired feet :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lower the brake pedal it's self and then adjust the brakes up so you don't have to "over extend" your foot when you brake. Any decent mechanic can make these adjustments in minutes...prob no charge. It's just a tiny bolt that needs to be move.

It makes all the diff in the world. Then you can ride with your foot almost level and the pedal is not being touched, yet you are still over top of it incase of emergancys. You can also adjust up your shifter so there's more "wiggle" room under it for your other foot. Once you get these set up..no more tired feet :)
kawi-girl, you nailed it right on the head. I did just as you said, and both of my feet are happy. Also, the strain on my right back dissappeared magically...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Normally the link between the pedal and master cylinder or between the shift lever and shift shaft is threaded and adjustable allowing more "fine tuning" than just moving the lever/pedal a spline or two. If you look closely there's normally a punch mark on the lever/pedal and it's shaft indicating the "stock" position for assembly purposes.
I will look for the stock position on the parts. it is very interesting to see how far I am off from the stock settings...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep. I saw that punch mark on the shifter. Makes it very easy to play around with settings. Changing the shifter position was a piece of cake. Haven't tried adjusting the link between the pedal and master cylinder though.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
In addition to all of the fine advice (and I mean that sincerely), I have always ridden with the pegs in the arch of the boot. So no wedge soles or fake heels. Some boots are better suited than others. IMHO those boots with higher heels and thick fore foot tread, rest more comfortably on the pegs due to the high arch. Also some hikers are rouned in the arch area and they just seem to hang on.

·
got lost along the way
23,356 Posts
Glad I could help. The stock settings I'm sure are for little footed people.

I got my foot stuck under the shifter one of the first times that I took the bike out. Got hooked on my laces...down I went :(

I wear flat soled boots, I find that way I can "slide" my feet around on the pegs and not have to lift my legs to do it. I also find with out the heal I can rest my heal on the pegs and get alot more knee room. :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fine, fine... I appreciate all the help from you guys and.. gals... It is like having a big happy family.
I think I finally found my comfortable position after a year of riding. My body muscles are more relaxed and symmetrical. Soon I will find something to improve or fix with my riding experience. I wish I get tired of riding before I get too old for the bike, though. Less difficult in that way...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts