Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently opened a private forum and I was getting a lot of spammers from Russia joining. I had a Captcha that was being used for the signup and after I changed it to a math question all of that stopped. I don't know what you have here but if it is the Captcha maybe try changing it to a math problem to stop all the spammers from joining.

I have mine as " What is the sum of 12 + 12 + 6 =", I change it weekly so they can't make a script program that will answer it.

·
Super Moderator
10,634 Posts
We went through this on another motorcycle.com owned forum and admin was able to apply enough filters to make most of it go away. There it's down to one or two per week and the moderators have little trouble keeping up. Here the spammers start arriving on Thursdays, particularly before big sporting events.

Maybe the admins can apply some of the "stuff" done at fjrowners.com to this forum, eh? In the meantime I pop in daily to weed through and delete spam as I find it.

And thanks to all who hit that 'report post' triangle on spam posts (under the spammers' user name), you're a great help!

·
Administrator
271 Posts
I recently opened a private forum and I was getting a lot of spammers from Russia joining. I had a Captcha that was being used for the signup and after I changed it to a math question all of that stopped. I don't know what you have here but if it is the Captcha maybe try changing it to a math problem to stop all the spammers from joining.

I have mine as " What is the sum of 12 + 12 + 6 =", I change it weekly so they can't make a script program that will answer it.
We currently use SolveMedia as the Captcha which is pretty solid as they update their stuff regularly. We'll keep it in mind though for future updates

We went through this on another motorcycle.com owned forum and admin was able to apply enough filters to make most of it go away. There it's down to one or two per week and the moderators have little trouble keeping up. Here the spammers start arriving on Thursdays, particularly before big sporting events.

Maybe the admins can apply some of the "stuff" done at fjrowners.com to this forum, eh? In the meantime I pop in daily to weed through and delete spam as I find it.

And thanks to all who hit that 'report post' triangle on spam posts (under the spammers' user name), you're a great help!
I added in some of that "stuff", this should help. :D

Let me know if you see any more, and for the members, make sure you use the "Report Post" button to alert the site staff and us about any spam you see.

- JB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts