Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta say, just about every shootout I read - cruisers, sport tourers, v twin tourers, ect ect Kaws always seem to come up short.

The shootouts certainly don't affect me. None of that changes how I feel about my 1600 or my happiness to get back into riding last summer. Just that last time around, Kaws were kinda top dogs amongst the Asian metrics.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I only keep up with cruisers but from what I see, they match up quite well and come out looking good much of the time. I mean they have the biggest V-twin in the market in the V2k. The 900 is the top of the middleweights. And the Nomad can go up against anything in its class.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I tent to believe that the shoot out results are biased in favor of those who advertise heavily in the magazine doing the comparison.

All major manufacturers make good, solid bikes.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Unfortunately advertising dollars continue to 'sway' magazine comparisons. I have little faith in the reporting and must only use the 'advice' as a tool for making my decisions. Most bike fitments are subjective at the least and the testers are mostly giving their opinions. I do like to compare specifications of the bikes and listen to opinions, but take that opinion at face value-an opinion!

Now for my opinion, I have ridden many bikes since the purchase of my 900 Custom and still have not found a bike that I would want to replace my 900. I have ridden Harley, VStar, Kawi, Cannondale, Honda. There are a few that I could 'live with', but none that I would be willing to trade for my 900. I am however considering a move to a 2000 in the long term future.

·
Ed Scott - Old-Time Biker
1,183 Posts
Unfortunately advertising dollars continue to 'sway' magazine comparisons. I have little faith in the reporting and must only use the 'advice' as a tool for making my decisions. Most bike fitments are subjective at the least and the testers are mostly giving their opinions. I do like to compare specifications of the bikes and listen to opinions, but take that opinion at face value-an opinion!

Now for my opinion, I have ridden many bikes since the purchase of my 900 Custom and still have not found a bike that I would want to replace my 900. I have ridden Harley, VStar, Kawi, Cannondale, Honda. There are a few that I could 'live with', but none that I would be willing to trade for my 900. I am however considering a move to a 2000 in the long term future.
Yes, I wish they made a V2K that looked more along the lines of my 900C... I'd buy it in a second!

But as for the advertising, I was in the motorcycle news media in the mid 80's and I have to say when we got ready for a comparison on ANY product, advertisers got the benefit of the doubt and beyond that, the guys that sent their products as 'donations' (not expecting them to be returned) got an even more golden halo. Another thing that affects it is rider/writer preferences. I always remember reading Consumer Reports review of the first Miata, complaining that it was small and rough riding, with no storage space....

·
soft drinks & stiff women
694 Posts
Yes, I wish they made a V2K that looked more along the lines of my 900C... I'd buy it in a second!

But as for the advertising, I was in the motorcycle news media in the mid 80's and I have to say when we got ready for a comparison on ANY product, advertisers got the benefit of the doubt and beyond that, the guys that sent their products as 'donations' (not expecting them to be returned) got an even more golden halo. Another thing that affects it is rider/writer preferences. I always remember reading Consumer Reports review of the first Miata, complaining that it was small and rough riding, with no storage space....
I'm surprised they haven't made a Vulcan 1700 Custom.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A belt drivin 1700 meanstreak would be the only bike I would trade or sell my 900 custom for, and it would have to be Lime Green!:biggrin:

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
I don't put alot of faith in reviews. That's just one persons opinion. If I did, I'd never buy an amercian car based on what Yahoo says! lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
Gotta say, just about every shootout I read - cruisers, sport tourers, v twin tourers, ect ect Kaws always seem to come up short.

The shootouts certainly don't affect me. None of that changes how I feel about my 1600 or my happiness to get back into riding last summer. Just that last time around, Kaws were kinda top dogs amongst the Asian metrics.
I have the 1500 Classic ('06) and all things considered I haven't seen anything out there that would get me to trade, with the exception of another Kawi--the 1700 Classic. But considering the cost of trading and adding accessories that's not going to happen soon. The 1500 and 1600 Vulcans are proven machines and several years ago they had their share of good reviews... Give Kawi another year or 2 to get the bugs out of the 1700 models and they'll be up there with the best of them.

windman

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
A belt drivin 1700 meanstreak would be the only bike I would trade or sell my 900 custom for, and it would have to be Lime Green!:biggrin:
After riding the meanie i now own, its worth the upgrade even with the shaft drive. I do miss the lovely green paint on my custom though..

·
Registered
59 Posts
After riding the meanie i now own, its worth the upgrade even with the shaft drive. I do miss the lovely green paint on my custom though..
I know they made the meanie one year in lime green, but its hard to find any around me for sale. If I do find one, it will have a spot in my shop right next to my custom.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
I tent to believe that the shoot out results are biased in favor of those who advertise heavily in the magazine doing the comparison.

+1

I read a few bass and guitar magazines. The products tested are sometimes really dogs, but they quite favorable reviews in the magazines.... Go figure. :-D

·
Certainly uncertain
146 Posts
I personally do not believe that Mcycle reviews are biased towards advertisers. Bikes are, relatively, cheap enough that no editor would risk that for the meager rewards, if any. Boating magazines, that's another story. Just getting access to a 150K boat to review is tricky. Trash Bayliner and see if you ever get one again to review. But I digress.

The editor for Rider, I think, addressed this over the summer. He basically said that ALL modern bikes are good bikes. They just point out differences and that doesn't equate to the word from God on which is best. Just opinions on what people liked and didn't (as others have noted in this thread). Which is run to write about and to read.

I think Flat screen televisions are a good example people can relate to. Go to any big box store and look at the wall full of panels. NONE of them are dialed into YOUR room, accustics, etc. Yet this one looks better than that one. Doesn't mean you'll like it at home. And when you do get it home and get it tweaked out, you don't have 40 other models set against yours showing its differences. So you love it, it fits, and might recommend it to others. Same thing for bikes et al.

Short of a magazine doing an expose on a manufacturer substituting substandard parts for specified parts and/or the factual specifications, any magazine review is just another person's opinion. Fun to read and look at, that's all.

Now, tie this into a discussion of test ride before you buy (what dealers will and won't let you) and THEN it might get interesting ;-P

1 - 14 of 14 Posts