Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the day long cleanings with a trip to the dump thrown in, you've been there too I'm sure, feels good after but a major PITA during thing.

One interesting framed document turned up though. The document that was sent to buyers of the 1976 Kawasaki KZ900 LTD. Thought I had long ago lost that one. The bike has been long gone, (one of my favorites by the way) but the gold adhesive plaque and now the framed owners document remain.

Interesting too that it was obviously hand written by someone with very highly trained calligraphy skills. Now days I'm sure you'd be lucky to get a computer generated note saying thanks if anything at all for a limited edition run.

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
Pics? That would be cool to see.

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
Neat find, Dave. I wonder how many of those certificates are still around. I'd not heard of Kawasaki issuing anything like that, but my motorcycle knowledge started around 1980. :D

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
When I bought my 1976 KZ650 I found the original purchase receipt in the owner’s manual under the seat dated and signed. Seems like it was around $800 dollars. It went with the bike to the next owner.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW 800.00 for some reason I remember paying close to 2K out the door for my 900 in 76 but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
WOW 800.00 for some reason I remember paying close to 2K out the door for my 900 in 76 but I could be wrong.
I paid $2295 for my 1980 KZ750 LTD brand new. I remember the KZ1000LTD was about 4-500 more.
Greg58

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
I went lookin for the MSRP on the web but found nothing.

I can remember thinking "Jap bikes depreciate my a$$". Could have sworn the recipt said $800 and some change.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I've still got the original sales receipt for mine put away somewhere around here. I guess in 81 they took a pretty good price jump because I paid 4,200 for my 1000 LTD.

P.S. Thats a nice little keepsake Dave. I surely never got anything like that when I purchased mine but I don't think mine was considered limited edition either. :lol:

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
The Inflation Calculator shows that $2350 in 1975 was the equivalent of $9291.19 today.

For comparison, according to Motorcyclist Online, MSRP on a 2009 ZX-10R is $11,799, a 2009 ZX-14 is $12,099 and a 2009 ZX-6R is $9799. In 1975 the Z1 was still the biggest and baddest bike on the road and top o' the technology heap. Today's equivalents are nearly comparably priced adjusted for inflation. Of course, where the dollar/yen ratio figures into this I've not determined.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Inflation Calculator shows that $2350 in 1975 was the equivalent of $9291.19 today.

For comparison, according to Motorcyclist Online, MSRP on a 2009 ZX-10R is $11,799, a 2009 ZX-14 is $12,099 and a 2009 ZX-6R is $9799. In 1975 the Z1 was still the biggest and baddest bike on the road and top o' the technology heap. Today's equivalents are nearly comparably priced adjusted for inflation. Of course, where the dollar/yen ratio figures into this I've not determined.
Man that's an eye opener.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gracie is a total nut job, I've had her since she was about 6 months she's about 4 now. She definitely knows who's who even the cats.

For whatever reason she cannot stand my friend's wife and she pounds herself against the tank if she sees her. She'll eat out of my hand but she'll gouge anyone else and draw blood.

She's all by herself in a 50 gallon tank in the back room away from my other 125. She'd likely try to get out to eat the other fish if she saw them. I'm betting the Jack Dempsey you have is similar.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
And all this time I was thinking your avatar was a pic of a fish you had caught with that boat you recently purchased. :lol:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And all this time I was thinking your avatar was a pic of a fish you had caught with that boat you recently purchased. :lol:
No more boat, I'd never own another. Best two days of my boating experience was the day I bought it and the day I sold it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts