Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am starting to entertain the idea of getting a turbo for my 2001 ZX9r.

-what are the pro's and con's of a turbo?

-are they reliable?

-do they make the bottom end of the motor vulnerable to damage? is it likely?

-what do they do for your gas mileage? i would be getting a mild turbo (i understand they come in stage kits, with varying effectiveness, i'd steer towards the lower end)

-how much should i expect to pay to have one professionally installed?

-how big of a HP increase?

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
Pro's is a lot of Hp. Con's, compression will need to be changed, engine needs to be serviced more becuase more Hp=more heat/friction thus causing things to fail faster. If you inject a lot of PSI you will have lag in the beginning and then a massive surge of power near top end, which could make you spin the rear and loose control of the bike. Really bad in corners..

Turbo's are reliable, but remember they still have moving parts and anything with moving parts will break down.

Turbo's will decrease gas millage. More air=more gas.

Talked to a guy who makes Canada's fastest superstock bike. You're looking at a couple thousand.

Depending of PSI you could have anywhere from 150-400 or more, who knows how much that motor can take. I think a 5psi boost will give you 150 at wheel on a zx6r.

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
How much will it cost?
He never gave me an exact $ just said it will cost a couple thousand. I'm going to assume all the part's necessary to build a turbo kit for the zx6r will be $1000 or less. But since he works for a dealer, he'll probably tach on another $500 or so haha. Then you got to pay for his time, tools, etc. Then a custom map and dyno. So in the end you'll probably look at $2000-$3000 I bet. I don't think I would really consider this becuase there's a reason why turbo bike aren't made anymore. The most I would want to get out of my bike is 150-160 anyways to avoid damage to the engine, and if it cost $2000-$3000 just to fit a turbo on, I would just buy a liter and save myself the hassle...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i think it's upwards of $4000 - $5000 once it's all said and done.

what about this - i can bore it out for probably $2500ish

how big could i go on my zx9r? could i bore it to 1100? with my mods now i'd guess that im in 135hp range. i have full exhaust, jetted carbs, air filter and advanced timing. what kind of HP would a big bore kit give me?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm a fuel injection guy at heart, so I'm not sure how easily/costly it would be to tune a carb'd motor for boost, but i'd imagine it's gonna be a pain to get a streetable low-end...

Turbo kits don't have to be costly (honda car guys like myself have been piecing together homemade turbo kits for <$1000 for a while now). If you know someone who can weld you a manifold, you can save a lot of money. I know a lot of 'busa guys are using turbos from DSMs ('90s Mitsu Eclipse, Eagle Talon, etc.) so I'd think a t25 snail from a 2g DSM would work well with a 9r, and those turbos can easily be found for <$100 on eBay ;)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Best advice...Save the cash and get a ZX14, ZX10, or Busa...To much money to make an OLD bike faster.
+1. Too many squids in ****ty cars around here have strapped on a turbo to their ****box cavalier only to have the valve train explode 5000km later. It doesn't occur to them that you have to reinforce everything on the engine when you're pushing 25% more horsepower or more through a turbo.

Boreing out the bike is also bad news. I'd imagine 1100 would be too much, you'd get into the water jackets, but I dunno how thick the cylinder walls are. The EX will bore out to about 550 (IIRC) but generally self destructs because the engine is at well over 100% by that point. It's also not worth the money, considering the most heavily modified EX I know of has over 3000 bucks into it for a little over 60hp (they're 50 stock). Of course YMMV.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Turbo would give 40-50 hp with stock motor. Turning up boost would require better studs and head gasket. Spacer under cylinder block to lower compression. Maybe rods and pistons required too. Not familiar with your engine.

You'd have $4k, or more, in it pretty quick.
Then the addiction starts and you want intercooler, secondaries, and the list goes on.

Getting a bigger bike would be better value.

·
Registered
905 Posts
i am starting to entertain the idea of getting a turbo for my 2001 ZX9r.

-what are the pro's and con's of a turbo?

-are they reliable?

-do they make the bottom end of the motor vulnerable to damage? is it likely?

-what do they do for your gas mileage? i would be getting a mild turbo (i understand they come in stage kits, with varying effectiveness, i'd steer towards the lower end)

-how much should i expect to pay to have one professionally installed?

-how big of a HP increase?
My first question would be why?

- Pro would be better output power and performance numbers.

- Cons for me would be cost, reliability and dependability of the bike. A system done by a professional who knows how to do it right will cost you several thousands. Even then it can involve a bit of tinkering, especially if it is a "one of" install. The various components are a given, but how they work together on different vehicles with custom primaries, etc. can be strangely unique. Reliability of the engine goes down IMO, even if the turbo is done right with a low boost.

How much HP is a variable, a low boost system could be 50hp, while a full on 20+ PSI system could be tossing out 200+.

I'm guessing there are no off the shelf kits for your bike, so your best bet for a real answer is to contact people to TC bikes and have a proven record of doing so. My guess is you aren't going to want to pay for this sort of thing and have your bike sit in someone's shop while it gets the kinks knocked out.

·
Gear Head
434 Posts
I'm a fuel injection guy at heart, so I'm not sure how easily/costly it would be to tune a carb'd motor for boost, but i'd imagine it's gonna be a pain to get a streetable low-end...

Turbo kits don't have to be costly (honda car guys like myself have been piecing together homemade turbo kits for <$1000 for a while now). If you know someone who can weld you a manifold, you can save a lot of money. I know a lot of 'busa guys are using turbos from DSMs ('90s Mitsu Eclipse, Eagle Talon, etc.) so I'd think a t25 snail from a 2g DSM would work well with a 9r, and those turbos can easily be found for <$100 on eBay ;)
I wouldn't reccoment a T25....I'd say for a low en pick me up that's got good staying power, either get a TD03/04 or TD02/03 hybrid turbo.

between new pistons, compression drop, head work to support, and parts, if you did it right, it could run you about $1500 for your bike.

I'm looking at putting a turbo on my R6, when I get the free time and money.

·
Registered
340 Posts
why not do a super charger, they do make them I just forget who, and when you do that it gets rid of the turbo lag

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
I don't even know how you would supercharge a bike...First a bike doesn't have a exposed drive belt so some serious modifying would be needed to but a supercharger on... secondly, trying to supercharge a little 900 would be just plain stupid! You could probably get a max of another 10-30hp becuase the engine is too small and doesn't have enough power to spin the supercharger to generate any sort of useful PSI. You would probably have to NOS start the engine and let it run at 4000rpm to keep that supercharger running...

If you want to do something to the engine add the turbo

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't even know how you would supercharge a bike...First a bike doesn't have a exposed drive belt so some serious modifying would be needed to but a supercharger on... secondly, trying to supercharge a little 900 would be just plain stupid! You could probably get a max of another 10-30hp becuase the engine is too small and doesn't have enough power to spin the supercharger to generate any sort of useful PSI. You would probably have to NOS start the engine and let it run at 4000rpm to keep that supercharger running...

If you want to do something to the engine add the turbo
Electromagnetic clutch ;) . Same thing used to turn on the a/c in your car, so you don't have so much parasitic off the line and you can engage the s/c in mid-range rpm's (this technology is used on twin-charge set-ups when the s/c is only used to help eliminate lag on large turbos). But I agree, an s/c wouldn't be the best idea for a 900, but I have seem blowers on cruisers ;)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If you don't know what a super charger is you should be leaving the bike stock and driving it very carefully....

·
Gear Head
434 Posts
If you don't know what a super charger is you should be leaving the bike stock and driving it very carefully....
+1

I wouldn't even DREAM of going forced induction until you knew a lot more about what you're doing, how it works, and WHY it works....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts