Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my rear pulley off right now, while changing my rear tire BTW (215/60R/16). I have heard about shimming the rear pulley to help with belt noise. I want to make my own......just wondering about thickness, and if its worth the bother. I hate the noise

If it is the injectors too, is there anyway to stop that crap, without having to listen to it.

It is enough to make me sell the bike even though I love the ride and power. I am obsessive about bikes sounding "RIGHT" and this does not and I can't ignore it and chalk it up to "character" as has been stated.

I ain't sure which other bike to go with, of any size,that has no idiosyncrasies like that. My VTX 1300 did not, it was all good, just too small. The VTX 1800 sounds like crap, and some of the Yamahas don't have enough power, and the ones that do are air cooled. Probably would go with a Roadliner though.......... if I cant stop this sh*t.

I know thats not politically correct........ cause everyone loves their BEAST.....and I want to.......but it's wearing me down...........stupid embarrassing noises:mad:
Please help......thanks

·
Limiter Junkie
187 Posts
My '08 1600 isn't a 2K but after the 'big 3' power is more than capable and NO noise from the shaft drive...I bought it new last March and have 14,500 on it and it seems to keep getting better! I might be a little prejudice, but I love my 1600!

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
I find that the injector noise happens at low rpms, I just shift down. Remember it isn't an HD and does need to pump some oil. The belt issue had me just as frustrated as you sound. I tried all the "fixes that were going around the forums and they were short term at best. I stopped my belt noise by replacing the belt. Knowing what I know now (or think I know) I would have reversed the belt first just to see if the chirp went away. IMO the orig belt was real hard and once the edge got polished Loosening the belt out of specs will, if using all that power, make it skip a cog or 2.

No offence mad5674, I had a 1500 and there is absolutely no comparison in the pulling power of these 2 very different bikes. Bottom line tho, a belt should be just as quiet and problem free as your shaft drive.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
At one point that dang belt was so loud my buddy could hear it IN HIS CAR!! Definately willing to call all the sounds character, but when the belt goes bad, it gets embarrasingly loud.
I can see that. Fortunately my noise went away with loosening it a bit. It was way too tight. I'm currently w/o any odd noises, other than the hypercharger rattle.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
The shim Bare used to make is 0.090". It cured my squealing issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thank you......I am going to make one out of some smooth aluminum plate I have.............if the thickness is right.........

I appreciate that alot!!:p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am stupid......that's about a 1/16 of an inch right??.........thats the stock I have

I am extra stupid on Sundays after working all night

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You CAN'T FIX IT!!!!

Best to just sell it to me cheap. I'm half deaf or at least could be if the price is right.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I am stupid......that's about a 1/16 of an inch right??.........thats the stock I have

I am extra stupid on Sundays after working all night
1/16=0.0625 3/32 =0.09375 So somewhere in between the two, but 3\32 is closer, although slightly over

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1/16=0.0625 3/32 =0.09375 So somewhere in between the two, but 3\32 is closer, although slightly over

I only have 1/16th...so I'll try it.....

On the other hand I have some washers that measure almost perfectly

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
if you hear all those little noises your pipes arent loud enough. i have over three years on my V2K will tire changes and oil changes as only requirements (and other routine maintenance) never stuck stranded or a fail to fire

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
It really is a beautiful machine once you cure what ails her. After 46k kms I need to go out and re-tape my googleye, but I will do so gently, cause I'm still in love.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It is enough to make me sell the bike
I understand totally. This is exactly how I feel about the tall 2nd gear on the Victory Vision. It just ruins your ride and frustrates you. I'd love to strangle the person who signed off on the final gearing ratios. I don't think I'll ever by another Victory again until they make a change with their 6 speed tranmissions.

Herb

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love my 1600 Meanie too, should have never done away with the shaft! No noise, no adjusting, just change the oil occasionally. Foolproof.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts