Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally wake up this morning and feel really in the mood to take the bike to work. It's a cool, fall, Florida morning... only a 20% chance of showers... she's cleaned up and ready to roll.

The ride in was gorgeous.

10 minutes before quitting time, it starts spitting rain, then drizzling. It never did more than that, but it was enough to keep my face shield and windshield wet most of the way.

Which brought about this observation: I'm 5'8" and I look THROUGH my windshield even when it's at its lowest position. I craned my neck long enough to look over the shield and two things happened: I could SEE, and it got QUIET...

Do most of you look through your shield or over it? Is one way the "right" way?

Jim

·
Registered
950 Posts
In a relaxed position, I am looking right over the top of my shield. The top of my shield is about even with the tip of my nose. I'm about your height and have a 17 inch Memphis Fats. Personally, I think it could be a hazard looking through the shield with sun glare, rain, etc. But some folks like it that way.

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
I'm height disadvantaged at a mere 5'7''. I usually look over the windshield of my 900 LT, but the upper edge is in my line of sight so I have to raise up a little to see over. I don't like looking through the windshield. It makes me feel like I'm in my cage. Has anyone taken their windshield off of their LT? If they did, does it look funny without the shield?

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
...Do most of you look through your shield or over it? Is one way the "right" way?
I don't think there is a "right" way, just the way you prefer. However, in my time scanning writeups on the topic most folks seem to think you should look over not through.

On my Nomad I typically leave it set so that I look through it when slumped down in a relaxed riding position, i.e. feet up on highway pegs leaning hard into Mustang backrest. The only real danger is (like someone here mentioned) impared vision in those rare instances when riding in a downpour or if the shield gets scratched up and you find yourself riding into the sun.

I've concluded that the riding in the rain issue is overblown. I've ridden many days with rain from light showers to real downpours and the water on my full face helment was more troublesome than the water on the Nad's shield -though it does help to use some Plexus or Pledge for cleaning as the water tends to wisk away better (on both shield and helment). The sun issue is more of a problem and if you look through a shield -watch out for the hazing/scratches that occurs over time.

OTOH, if you don't get head buffeting then set it low and just look over it. Since I use the Nad for long cruises nowadays (got a Ninja 250 for commuting), I like to reduce head buffeting to a minimum so I leave it up high.

Your milage may vary...;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've always heard that you should look just over the windshield and I've heard about riding in the rain.....but every time I got caught in the rain (real rain, not just light drizzle).....I found myself bending down and looking thought the windshield...the rain on the goggles made it difficult to see and the rain on my face was uncomfortable. So I moved my Nomad windshield to the highest position, look thought it all the time and have never gone back. I've just order a new windshield from Clearview that is even a bit higher and wider.
ED

·
Registered
294 Posts
I rode for a while with a memphis fats 19" on my 1500 and still got the annoying buffeting, nose level with the top of the shield ,even with lowers. Moved up to the 21" and I am now looking through the shield. Much better.

The best is a shield that you can get some adjustment up/down and play with it to see at what position you put the buffeting monster in his place. Rain???? I chased rain clouds this summer and had to travel interstate to find any.

Point is you can always streatch and adjust riding postion to look over the shield. I believe IMHO that it is rider preference. However, I Listen very carefully to the rain riders,those with the experience in riding in the rain cause someday...............it will all come back to me

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wear a Shoei full helmet. My previous bike was a VN800 with a Memphis Shade and I looked about 2 inches over the top. My current bike is a VN900 LT and even lowered all the way, I end up looking through the factory, Kawasaki windshield in my normal seated position.

I don't think the height of the windshield is the cause, but I definitely feel I'm getting more buffeting on the 900.

In the several heavy rains I rode through on the 800 and the two good rains I've been through on the 900, I definitely feel my visibility is much better looking over the windshield. I, in fact, found myself stretching and at times standing a little (thank God for the 900's floor boards) on the 900 to get a better view.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
Some, I'm sure, will disagree, but seated normally you should be looking over the windshield.
You are correct, I disagree. Looking through the windshield has never caused me any issues, in fact saved me from a bird strike or two.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have the windshield off my 900LT and I think it looks great without it. As a matter of fact, I plan to keep it off unless I'm going on long highway runs. The bike looks great with the windshield on also, it's just a different look. With the shield it looks more staid and conservative, and it seems to say "we have a long road ahead of us". Without the shield it looks sportier, and it seems to say "I'm bad".

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
i bought a product called zooke at biketoberfest-supposed to be an antifog chemical and lense cleaner-safe for bike windshields. i can testify that in the rain altho it doesnt necc aid in water shed it makes the shield clear even with water on it so its easy to look thru.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
Zooke works on my riding glasses and helps keep them fog free when it is raining. I've not tried it on the windshiled but will. As for windshield height, Irais it up a bit in the winter.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
i keep some needed quick tools im my saddle bags on my 900LT
in cooler weather my sheild is full height i look thru it
in warmer weather its full down i look over it
i alwaus have the tools handy to lower it if it starts to rain

1 - 17 of 17 Posts