Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday afternoon , work finished, good weather, time for a quick ride.
Go to the garage, push the 900 Classic onto the driveway, turn on key to start....nothing. Tried again....nothing. I have a 2007 model, thought the battery was dead. Thinks " I have my car, daughters have one each and the wife has hers....I will buy a good battery charger. Went and paid $96.00, bought it home, connected it up to the bike battery and 20 minutes later noticed the fully charged light was on. Got to thinking....looked at the kill switch.....it was on !!!. I never use it but somehow must have engaged it while parking it. Dear lesson.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Go to the garage, push the 900 Classic onto the driveway, turn on key to start....nothing. Tried again....nothing. I have a 2007 model, thought the battery was dead. Thinks " I have my car, daughters have one each and the wife has hers....I will buy a good battery charger. Went and paid $96.00, bought it home, connected it up to the bike battery and 20 minutes later noticed the fully charged light was on. Got to thinking....looked at the kill switch.....it was on !!!. I never use it but somehow must have engaged it while parking it. Dear lesson.
i dont think i would have shared that story......:lol: oh well atleast ya got a good charger......

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
That happened to me once but it wasnt my fault.My father in law was looking at my bike and accidently leaned on my kill switch.I found the problem after a couple of minutes.Always check the switches first!:oops:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Only $96, wish that amount would cover my "uhohs" on a routine basis!

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Get in to the habit of using the killswitch. Good for muscle memory for if/when you need it and also makes sure you avoid the accidental lurch when trying to turn off the ignition. :)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I once had a Tape Drive controller hooked to 8 tape drives, one of them wasn't working. I ran tests, swapped cables ran more tests, the drive faulty was always the same port. Swapped cards that controlled 3 drives each and it was STILL in the same place, Swapped motherboards (not and easy task) and it was STILL there. Ran seperate cables and it was STILL there. Finally had the only more senior tech come out and run through it with me and he agreed to try another motherboard. Was just getting ready to power off the machine and noticed that in a string of 8 online/offline switches one of them was over on offline, MINE. I told the customer and my senior tech 'I thought she didn't work here anymore' while pointing at an employee across the room and as they looked I hit the switch, pushed the test button and the drive started down the road. "ok, we can go." I said. And the grilling began for about 15 seconds before I couldn't hold my laughter back and showed them the switch. This was a whole day thing and luckily not a heavy time for the drives so even the customer thought it was funny and new what the problem was. These were old reel to reel tape drives and to write on a tape you needed a little plastic ring around the center of it. They kept the extra rings on top of the controller and one of their shorter operators had reached up, grabbed a tape and hit the switch. The customer ran a strip of tape over the switches and it NEVER happened again.

I've normally have the kill switch thrown on my motorcycle at the drive through where the attendant will catch me with that look on my face of 'I hit the switch, why isn't it starting' horror that we all experience. Dangit!!!

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
I was on the highway around 7-8am heading back home the day before this last Labor Day when my motorcycle died. I pulled in the clutch and tried starting it and nothing. All power was off. I was near nowhere and pulled over on the shoulder with very, very minimal traffic, like almost nothing.

After I pulled over I tried starting her again and nothing. After a few seconds, I realized somehow, I don't know how or what I was trying to do, I hit the kill switch. I flicked her again and started her back up, hit the road and made it back home otherwise uneventful.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Funny how we 'accidentally' hit the kill switch . . .

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have done that several times,my worst one was during a group ride.We were getting ready to roll out and i couldnt get my bike to start,everyone was waiting on me and my wife to get our bike to start,one of the other riders came over and asked to help and noticed the switch was off. There were 35 bikes in this group waiting and stareing at us most of them i didnt even know,i was embarrassed.:redface:

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
I tell my coworkers, all HD'ers, "I love working around people like yoose guys, all cool and s**t when you get on your bikes". They hit the starter. Nothing. Try again. Zip. Over and over they hit the starter. Zilch. Nada. The look of panic is priceless. It b/c I happened to walking past your bike a couple of hours ago and hit the kill switch fer ya. It never gets old!! :twisted:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Spend the winter riding snowmachines. Use the kill switch 100 times a day and never the key. When on my bike I find myself always useing the kill switch unless going in somewhere or putting up for the night. Same thing on the wheelers riding them. All the accessories still work with the ignition still on. Just different habits I guess.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was on the highway around 7-8am heading back home the day before this last Labor Day when my motorcycle died. I pulled in the clutch and tried starting it and nothing. All power was off. I was near nowhere and pulled over on the shoulder with very, very minimal traffic, like almost nothing.

After I pulled over I tried starting her again and nothing. After a few seconds, I realized somehow, I don't know how or what I was trying to do, I hit the kill switch. I flicked her again and started her back up, hit the road and made it back home otherwise uneventful.
Same here......during a group ride. I was riding as tailgunner on my 1500A and as the group "accelerated rather briskly" from an intersection, no one noticed that my bike died and I pulled to the side of the road. After a few LONG minutes of searching for the cause, I noticed the kill switch was off......to this day I still dont know how I managed to do that.....no alcohol involved here either.....STEVE

·
Beach invasions by appt.
95 Posts
I have gotten in the habit of shutting down with the kickstand. This ensures I know it is down and I don't forget tabout the kill switch. From the MSF class, I was taught to only use the switch in an emergency. I do test it once in a while, but never use it redularly. Just my $.05 (inflaton)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I tell my coworkers, all HD'ers, "I love working around people like yoose guys, all cool and s**t when you get on your bikes". They hit the starter. Nothing. Try again. Zip. Over and over they hit the starter. Zilch. Nada. The look of panic is priceless. It b/c I happened to walking past your bike a couple of hours ago and hit the kill switch fer ya. It never gets old!! :twisted:
You must like to live dangerously!:cool:

I never got into using the kill switch on a street bike. For me, using it is just asking to leave the key in the switch.

I haven't had this particular problem in quite a while, but I'm sure that now it's been talked about - I'll have a starting problem AND it'sll be the kill switch. Thanks guys! :biggrin:

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
At least you'll know what to look for . . .

·
Guilty By Association
650 Posts
I never got into using the kill switch on a street bike. For me, using it is just asking to leave the key in the switch.
did that. 16 hr shift at work, got home, kill switch, went to sleep on the couch. woke up, got on bike to got to work, bike dead.....left the key on. luckily everyone around looked out for one another and nothing happened to the bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
$96 for a battery charger. 96 bucks for a battery charger????????

is that like 4 - 20's a 10, and six ones????????????????.

of course a $96 dollar battery charger WILL bypass that kill switch:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts