Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this has potential. That big engine is way undertuned, parts are plentiful including chrome headpipes, and imagine all the excess weight that can be freed.

Slammed with a cafe fairing and drag bars.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stock 1200 engine is rated at 97 horsepower, this with 30 mm carbs.

I am curious if 32 mm ZG1000 Concours carbs can be adapted.

This along with an uncorked exhaust will push peak power over 100 hp. By sending the cams out for regrinding and porting the head myself the potential goes further.
Just musings at this point.

·
Super Moderator
2,262 Posts
I noticed the heavy duty frame. Those top rails are beefy and spaced as far apart as most any bike I have seen from that era. An aftermarket exhaust should net you a few more HP.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed the heavy duty frame. Those top rails are beefy and spaced as far apart as most any bike I have seen from that era. An aftermarket exhaust should net you a few more HP.
This guy just put auto store turn-down tips on the headers (headers about $50 a set on ebay, tips $20), I will just copy that. This is a budget buuld
,;)

·
Super Moderator
2,262 Posts
It looks good but looks loud. Without the back pressure from a baffle you may get ticketed, annoy your neighbours and ultimately burn your exhaust valves. Just my two cent's worth. You could probably fab a baffle for it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks good but looks loud. Without the back pressure from a baffle you may get ticketed, annoy your neighbours and ultimately burn your exhaust valves. Just my two cent's worth. You could probably fab a baffle for it.
A 45 degree elbow will allow a megaphone to bolt up to the frame, yeah better than open.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Not sure why the specs say 1986 - 1988 because these were sold up through 2003 I think. It was the lightest of the full bag tourers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a KZ1300 but the engine cosmetics are similar, it looks really sharp polished up

The ZG1200 frame is yuge, massive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts