Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the 2021 klx300 dual sport but like to play around with some mods like skid plate, hand guards and maybe a new tail. In particular I’m looking to free up the restriction from the small bore and a more throaty sound than the stock exhaust. A lot of the klx250 mods fit the 300 so I’m considering the Delkevic 14” stubby carbon fiber oval slip on muffler because it’s not too expensive and it doesn’t require rejetting or remapping. Anyone familiar with their line or can make other recommendations? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,859 Posts
I have Delkevics 14" on my FJR. They sound great with earplugs but without hearing protection they can be painfully loud. And they can be particularly annoying on long trips when I'm riding 400-550 miles per day. Plus you are not "freeing up" anything if A) you don't modify the intake and B) you don't remove the catalytic converters, usually in the pipes not the muffler. And then, if you do go through the whole routine to "free up the restriction" you're going to have to rejet or remap.

You are headed down the typical expensive road of modifications. I suggest you face the facts and be sensible for now- it's a brand new 300cc dual sport bike. What are you thinking you're going to gain performance-wise with aftermarket exhaust? Sorry but there just isn't all that much to be gained. I say again- it's 300 cc's!! Nope, it's just not there to be gained. I agree wholeheartedly with the first list- skid plate, hand guards and maybe a new tail- but I'd ride it for a while to determine more functional mods first like seat mod, handlebar mod, saddle/tail/tank bag(s), TPMS, gps, etc. Things to make comfort and not just noise.

Here's a pic of mine. It my seem like contrary advice I'm giving but mine's a 1300 cc liquid cooled 4 cyl. It pumps out 128 hp at the wheel. There were gains to be had by modifying the exhaust, intake and mapping. It's a 2007 I bought brand new and now has 138,xxx miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Hey Hope, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new KLX. I would be very interested in hearing about your first impressions. I might be in the market for something like this.

You asked for advice, which is what this site is all about. I agree with what rbentnail is saying. On top of that, I expect muffler mods will terminate your Kawasaki warranty, so you have that to consider as well. So you may want to hold off on that mod at least until you are off warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Delkevics 14" on my FJR. They sound great with earplugs but without hearing protection they can be painfully loud. And they can be particularly annoying on long trips when I'm riding 400-550 miles per day. Plus you are not "freeing up" anything if A) you don't modify the intake and B) you don't remove the catalytic converters, usually in the pipes not the muffler. And then, if you do go through the whole routine to "free up the restriction" you're going to have to rejet or remap.

You are headed down the typical expensive road of modifications. I suggest you face the facts and be sensible for now- it's a brand new 300cc dual sport bike. What are you thinking you're going to gain performance-wise with aftermarket exhaust? Sorry but there just isn't all that much to be gained. I say again- it's 300 cc's!! Nope, it's just not there to be gained. I agree wholeheartedly with the first list- skid plate, hand guards and maybe a new tail- but I'd ride it for a while to determine more functional mods first like seat mod, handlebar mod, saddle/tail/tank bag(s), TPMS, gps, etc. Things to make comfort and not just noise.

Here's a pic of mine. It my seem like contrary advice I'm giving but mine's a 1300 cc liquid cooled 4 cyl. It pumps out 128 hp at the wheel. There were gains to be had by modifying the exhaust, intake and mapping. It's a 2007 I bought brand new and now has 138,xxx miles on it.

View attachment 42742

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s REALLY sound advice and makes complete sense. Got a little ‘happy’ there for awhile thinking about tricking it out. Thanks for bringing me to my senses!!! Love this forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Hope, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new KLX. I would be very interested in hearing about your first impressions. I might be in the market for something like this.

You asked for advice, which is what this site is all about. I agree with what rbentnail is saying. On top of that, I expect muffler mods will terminate your Kawasaki warranty, so you have that to consider as well. So you may want to hold off on that mod at least until you are off warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Are you having problems with the Reply feature? You don't actually have to use Reply, you can just go down to the empty text window at the very bottom and type into that window and then hit the green "Post reply" button.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So glad I asked you guys. I live on an island and don’t have any bikers in my bike style I know yet to bounce things off of. I’ll stick with the basic mods and stay away from warranty killers until I should. I’ll be sure to keep you posted on my impressions. We’ve got a mini mx course on the island that I’m curious to see how it performs with light riding and small air on it. Supposedly the stock suspension is decent on it. Also, just received the INNOVV K2 Dual Channel Motorcyle Motocam with WiFi, GPS and Parking Mode (32GB). Will let you guys know my impressions. Cheers and thanks again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK, I expect I will offend many but here it goes. I have been riding for fifty years, raced MX, roadraced, worked as a professional motorcycle mechanic. There is nothing that offends non riders, nothing that will close land and riding opportunities faster than noise. I am at the end of my life and riding so it really does not make much difference for me, but if you want to see motorcycling severely curtailed by legislation and local ordinances just make more noise. I am also an auto and aviation enthusiast. Both race tracks and airports have suffered over the noise issue. Finally on a personal note, when I am working a winding back road, up and down thru the gear box, braking into turns and hard on the throttle out the last thing I want to do is advertise my approach eight turns before I pass a motorcycle hating home owner. Much better to be in stealth mode, I am there and gone before there is any chance of reading a tag number.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts