Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't ridden in many, many years and I would love to buy a nice Vulcan 800. However, I'm thinking of buying this 1983 550 LTD with 4,500 original miles to get my feet wet this year and maybe leave it around if the wife ever decides she wants to learn. I remember riding my friends 440 LTD in the late '70's and it was pretty zippy.
- Anything specific I should look for when I test drive it?
- Are parts readily available for this year (I have a dealer closeby)
- Any recommendations?
I haven't seen it yet but the owner tells me its in great shape. Assuming he's telling the truth, is it worth $800?
Thanks for your help!

PS Second owner who bought it from his neighbor years ago.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'd buy it for $800 If that picture represents the bike and runs as good as it looks ...heck yeah

Now, the good bad and ugly. Some parts are available through your local dealer, but not all of them. That means you will either have the patience of a saint when needing a part, buy a second bike for spares, Join clubs to network and find the parts you need.

I have an 85 and have been fortunate through ebay and my dealer. I also know that I can get great spares from the UK, Japan, Germany and Australia as they had a much longer life run than in the US. 84-86 was US and abroad 1984-1991 I think.

Did the bike sit along time 4500 miles is nothing Although I had 5500 on the clock when I bought mine.

Be careful with riding in its current condition unless it has been in regular use.

1. Tire rot - change the tires if it has been more than 4 years
2. Battery
3. Gas/Carbs
4. Is it blowing smoke out the exhaust?
5. All fluids new - change them if not
6. I think that bike is air cooled so you won' t have to mess with a radiator.

There was a really good post on what to check. Hopefully someones post before I come back.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

make sure its road ready-ride it -comeback and tell us what you found :wink:

that bike looks to be in very good shape from that pic
pull a plug and look at the oil if you can

1 - 4 of 4 Posts