Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll also take this oportunity to introduce myself .... My name is Mike and I'm from the VA/MD area, I read alot of the info here and yous guys and gals seem to be a great bunch of folks. I never owned or ridden on a bike before (other then as a passenger on My dad's Honda v45, and v65 Magnas.... that he no longer owns) and I really do not feel like getting a "starter" bike like a nija 250 or something ..... I just want to jump right onto the 800 Classic (after getting my license of course). I'll be 29 in less then a week so I'm not a young dumb kid (I'm a youngish slightly less-dumber adult :) )

... talk me out of getting the 800 Classic and into getting a "starter" bike instead, smack some since into me! :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Welcome Mike! I'm fairly new on here too, but have been reading the posts from other Kawasaki owners. I had ridden bikes as a younger man but had not been on one for over 15 years untill just a couple months ago. I bought a 2003 Vulcan 800. Since it had been so many years of not riding I felt as though I was a new rider, although I've had my MC endorsement for about 25 years. I wouldn't try talking you into a smaller bike. The 800 is easy to handle at slow speeds, but has plenty of power when you get used to riding. Be careful on any size motorcycle you may end up with-- a ninja 250 can get away from you as fast as the 800 can!

Good luck Mike, let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Welcome to the forum, 92Notch. Indeed, there is a great group of people here and I'm always amazed at what a tremendous resource this community is.

The 800 is a great bike and, as rwrighter said, I would not try talking you into a smaller bike either. Your choice of first bike has more to do with fit, form, and personal taste. Personally, I learned on a Magna 750. Very quick bike, but only as quick as the driver wants it to be. The 800 Classic is a well balanced bike with a nice compromise between power and weight. Go grab one, and then sign up for the MSF class ASAP. :) Ride safe.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

the 800 is a great bike and very easy to ride - good luck

ride safe!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had an 800A. Great ride.

Since you are less dumb, go for it. :lol:

Definately take the MSF course.

Also, you might consider Highway bars. Kawasaki has a nice set for the 800. They are cheap insurance for a brain fade, like forgetting to put the kickstand down. :wink:

I know. :oops:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone! .... I only know a few people that have ridden motorcycles, my dad and a buddy at work... neither seems to think it is too bad an idea to start out on an 800 cruiser. The MSF course is good? .... they only list email addresses for couse locations on their website for MD .... guess I need to E-Mail them.

I've been kicking around the highway bars (or what ever they're called).... I imagine it'll fall over or I'll drop it at least once.... maybe after a while I can take them off if I do not like them.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i would suggest getting the crash bars - they will protect the bike a little
in case of a drop and they give you a good place to mount hiway pegs :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to have to read up on some more stuff ... not even sure what highway pegs are :)

..... I did some more looking for saftey courses, looks like these's a state sponsored three part course.

PT1 is classroom
PT2 looks like you get to ride their bikes .... and if you don't mess up you get the license right there! :D (Maybe I'm reading that wrong)
PT3 is for expirienced riders who need a refresh (I probably won't need to go to that one)
http://www.mva.state.md.us/MVAProg/MOTO/default.htm

It looks like it's taught by MSF certified instructors.

Seems too easy. :) .... that's really cool if the saftey training and license test is all wraped up!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

footpegs you mount on the bars to be able to stretch you legs out
at hiway speeds for comfort :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
footpegs you mount on the bars to be able to stretch you legs out
at hiway speeds for comfort :wink:
Thanks! ...seems like that should be standard on a cruiser :wink:

·
Registered
458 Posts
92Notch said:
The MSF course is good? ....
I've been kicking around the highway bars (or what ever they're called).... I imagine it'll fall over or I'll drop it at least once.... maybe after a while I can take them off if I do not like them.
The MSF begining rider course should be required of ANYONE getting a motorcycle. It teaches riding techniques as well as defensive riding along with situational awareness. Over half the class time is actually riding.

I was reluctant to call them bars crash bars, but they go by several names, including, highway bars and engine guards. There is some debate about whether they protect the rider at all during a crash, so there is reluctance by some to call them crash bars. Mostly, the motorcycle manufacturers.

In any case, they will save your tank and engine if you should drop the bike.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

there should'nt be any debate about protection in a crash
they will do little to protect you - but they will save a tank,bars,and controls
i never have been politically correct :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Perhaps I should have been more clear about the debate.

Some (perhaps a safety agency) have suggested that they may offer some protection for the legs. I believe some testng was done in Europe several years ago. I don't recall the results or who was on what side of the debate, but believe it was inconclusive at best. That is the reason bike manufacturers call them engine guards, so as not to infer any body protection.

I agree with you. They should be viewed as bike protectors and then pretty much limited to minor drops. I doubt they would do any good in a major get off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts