Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 900lt silver and blue with about 1800 miles and warrwbty untill 2012. I have added road burner pipes, barrons big air kit and a PCIII. I want a larger bike for 2 up riding. I know I will lose my butt on trade in and looking at prices on used bikes they are all over the place. What could I expect to get for mine? I know book is 6500-6800. I was thinking about 6300 would that scare people away? Thanks

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
I think the normal wisdom is you're better off selling than trading in. I understand that's not always possible though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You should wait until the spring, when you may be able to get a better price for your bike. And I second that you should sell it in the open market, not trade it in.

·
Registered
591 Posts
On the flip side, if you but now you'll get a better deal (especially if you are buying used), than if you wait until riding weather returns. Tell us, how has your experience with the 900LT been? Have you had any problems with 2 riders?

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
It would scare me away. On the flip side, you should be able to pick up a perfect, gently used '05 1600, fully equipped for under $6000. You will love it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the flip side, if you but now you'll get a better deal (especially if you are buying used), than if you wait until riding weather returns. Tell us, how has your experience with the 900LT been? Have you had any problems with 2 riders?
I love the bike just want a little more power and a little less buzziness (if that is a word) at freeway speeds. It works nice for running around town and short rides by myself and, or, with my wife along for the ride. It just isn't want I want as far as long trips.
I had a bullet bike (929RR) before this and don't think I would go back to the speed, but miss the power.
I am thinking about a new Nomad.

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts
I agree to wait until it warms up, then put an ad in cycletrader.com or in your local paper. That 900 should sell pretty fast. I'm not sure what you'll get though...maybe 6k?

But for 6k you can pick up a 1500 I bet with little mileage (like was mentioned earlier). Unless you just want to drop that 6k on a the Nomad and have tiny payments for a while.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
You need to ride a Nomad. The power may be disappointing.
As opposed to what? The Nad has plenty of power... the only way to step up in the Kawi line is the V2k and it, unfortunately, does not come equipped like the Nad - if it did, they'd sell a ton of them.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Tell us, how has your experience with the 900LT been? Have you had any problems with 2 riders?
Overall experience with the 900LT has been great.

I have had 2 of us on my bike weighing about 350 total and the bike rode and drove just fine. I had the shock adjusted up to 6 to help. Plenty of power and plenty of brake.

·
Drink Plenty of Water
784 Posts
Other than a VN 800 my 1600 Nomad is the only thing I have ridden. But I have no problems with the power. I have been able to cruise along with anyone so far. I just had some new tires put on by a Harley mechanic and picked up the bike today. He told me he test rode the bike and was complimenting the power it had. He said it had more power than his bike, but its an older model Harley with more miles.

I've been very happy with mine and would buy another one in a heartbeat. A Nomad also has great balance for a big bike.

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts
Other than a VN 800 my 1600 Nomad is the only thing I have ridden. But I have no problems with the power. I have been able to cruise along with anyone so far. I just had some new tires put on by a Harley mechanic and picked up the bike today. He told me he test rode the bike and was complimenting the power it had. He said it had more power than his bike, but its an older model Harley with more miles.

I've been very happy with mine and would buy another one in a heartbeat. A Nomad also has great balance for a big bike.
You should check out the "rude awakening" thread. a guy was complaining that a HD dealer wouldn't put tires on his bike. interesting read. just buttin' in. :)

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Now is the time to buy and when riding season starts is the time to sell your 900 privately. In an ideal situation. I was in the same situation wanting A bigger bike until the wifes van puked its transmission all over the road yesterday. Next year I guess.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
I dunno, all I'm saying is that I have no complaints with my 07 mean streak and my dad loves his 06 Nomad. No power complaints whatsoever and the bikes will happily cruise along at 80+ all day long without breaking a sweat. IMHO, someone fixated on speed and horsepower are doing themselves a disservice by looking to buy a hardbagger. Maybe a C14 would be more up their alley.

·
Drink Plenty of Water
784 Posts
You should check out the "rude awakening" thread. a guy was complaining that a HD dealer wouldn't put tires on his bike. interesting read. just buttin' in. :)
Yeah, I read that one last nite. This guy isnt a dealer, just a mechanic that mostly works on HD's. But he will change tires on anything. He asked me to sign a paper saying he wasnt responsible though, I went to the Metz 880's.:biggrin:

·
Drink Plenty of Water
784 Posts
If you're happy that's great. Someone who's coming over from something that's alot faster might not be. My buddy who had the Nomad (last year of the 1500 FI I think) had rode my near 80 hp modded MS, liked it and bought the Nomad without riding one. He was extremely disappointed. Sold it 3 months after he bought it.
Power doesnt really seem to be what the author of the thread is interested in anyway. He stated he was wanting to ride 2 up. I dont think there is a better bike than the Nomad for that. JMHO

·
Registered
554 Posts
Your price would scare me off due to you can find a 07 model for just about that.

On the other hand if you sell your accessories keep us updtated. I'm looking for a set of pipes, bak and fuel management.

[email protected]

·
Drink Plenty of Water
784 Posts
STR8RZR, Sounded to me like power was a consideration.
It could be you and I are looking at this thread from different angles. Sounded to me like he once had a bike with lots of power. Went to the 900 and tried 2 up on it and didnt have the power he wanted for 2 up riding. He mentioned he was thinking Nomad to give him more power for 2 up riding which it will surely do, and it will do it with more power than the 900 was giving him without the "buzziness at freeway speeds". The Nomad, as I said before IMHO, is the best bike out there for 2 up riding. It has the power, comfort, balance, and standard accessories needed to make 2 up riding enjoyable.

But everyone has a favorite for what thier biking needs are. ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts