Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently have been getting the urge to buy either a ZX10 or R1. I own a Suzuki SV 650S and want to get something bigger, handles better and is just more of a performance bike. I have read numerous times that the R1 is just alittle out of control and it is not as fun as smaller bikes cause it just doesnt want to stay tamed. Any thought on the power of the ZX10 and anything to look out for!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a 636 so this may not be entirely true, but Ive heard that the 1000cc bikes don't handle as well as 600s. This is why sometimes you hear some people say that they can beat liter bikes at the track but not on the street, since track is curves and turns and street is usually straight line.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
anytime you take a 1000cc and throw it on bike thats not much larger then a 600cc your gonna have some serious front end lifting and not wanting to be tamed. If you take a look at the R1 its just like a R6 but with a 1000cc motor on it, same as the zx10r. The bikes might be a tiny bit longer in wheelbase and size but overaul there not much larger then a 600cc bike.

If you really want a zx10r then get one, you will just have to respect the machine and I think you'll have plenty of fun on it because when your done ripping it up your gonna have one hell of a rush. Let me tell you this, there is plenty of times where Im riding and say to myself that this zx6r 636 just doesnt move fast enough for me, then when I run her up to 15,500 and shift into 2nd-3rd-4th and she's hauling ***, thats where the rush comes in like **** I still love this bike lol.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The thing you have to remember about bikes is that bikes aren't fast. Riders are fast. All the new liter bikes handle just as well as a 600 on the track. The people who say a liter bike handles worse are watching crappy riders on a big bike. Horse power does not automaticly put you in the lead. You have to be a good rider to be there.

·
Registered
551 Posts
if the 650S is your first bike i would SERIOUSLY consider a different bike , because thats a HUGE step up.

·
Red Lodge Approved
1,732 Posts
AzZx7R said:
if the 650S is your first bike i would SERIOUSLY consider a different bike , because thats a HUGE step up.

x 2...

i would look at a 600 or 750.. trust me, any 600 will out run any 1000 with the right rider..

·
Registered
512 Posts
x 2 again. id say get a 636. u may be downsizing but your getting alot more bike... just liek everyone always posts or read in a magazine " the 636 flats out hauls".

plus your thinking about getting the most ridiculous bike there is basically.
its a big jump from a streetbike to the best sportbike.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
asldkj

elr658 said:
The 636 is a huge upgrade. Really. Take another step before going big. Stuff happens fast on a ZX10 or R1!

Ya you guys are giving me some sound advise here, I will seriously consider it!!!!. Dont worry im not joking or macking you. Does anyone have some specs on say the 2003 or 2004 636 with some performance ratings on it. Thanks, just want to compare to the SV 650S, I know its better, just want to compare.

·
Red Lodge Approved
1,732 Posts
Jon Mueller said:
Ya you guys are giving me some sound advise here, I will seriously consider it!!!!. Dont worry im not joking or macking you. Does anyone have some specs on say the 2003 or 2004 636 with some performance ratings on it. Thanks, just want to compare to the SV 650S, I know its better, just want to compare.

I dont have any numbers, somebody like greenknight will prob. pull them right out of his memory...

... but im sure it would read something like.. "636 whoops all day long on the sv650, 636 has more power than can ever be used on the street".. LOL...

By the way.. the sv line from suzuki is one of my fav's... im not doggin it..

·
Registered
512 Posts
id say it would be around 107rwhp and around 44rwtq.... run something around mid high 10's with good rider.

just a educated guess

·
Registered
435 Posts
What's the SV650 like anyway? Was at a Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer and they suggested that for my wife. I know the little 300 she has won't cut it for very long. Too slow.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The SV650 is a V-twin. Has something like 60 or 70 rwhp I think??? With an aftermarket exhuast on it it has a REALLY nice rumble to it. Those bikes are very forgiving but sound just plain MEAN. They also have some really nice features that the Kawasaki 500r doesn't... Like duel rotors up front. If I was looking for a bike with less power than a 600 the SV650s is the one I'd pick out.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I own a 04 636 and the bike basically loves to haul *** and at 10,000rpm it feels fast but once you hit 13,000-15,500 it feels like a angry pitbull on a chain ready to attack something lol. it wants to break loose and catch anything in its view.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jon, i have to agree with the replies on trying a 600/636. A lot of the liter bike guys I know downgraded to Supersports and are enjoying them. The newer ones have a lot of power and can still be ridden at sane legal speeds with restraint.

Green Knight said it in a nutshell, a fast bike doesn't make you a fast rider. Take the time to really learn how these bikes ride before jumping on one of the fastest production machines out there.

Give the 636 a try before you decide..... :wink:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I rode my Honda VAlkyrie to the dealership last year to test ride an sv650. Riding these two bikes back to back gave me an appreciation of how fast the sv650 is, which is to say not very. My Valkyrie would leave one of those in the dust, I just can't believe that bike is any where in the 12's in the quarter. I will say, however, that it was perfectly balanced and the handling was the best i have ever felt - razorlike. Just a whole different world from any other bike I have ridden, but I gotta have that straight line accelleration to get me interested.
My second bike turned out to be a 1991 600R, yeah I went cheap. This bike is right about as fast as my Valkyrie in a quarter mile, which is to say it too could romp on the sv650 in a straight line test.
Bottom line - that 636 is beyond night and day from your sv, I say try to get a test on one of those - literbikes are really way too much for the street and while there are those that can enjoy them safely, they are in the minority.

·
Registered
629 Posts
"literbikes are really way too much for the street " and you would be riding how many cc's?

Don't knock the bikes. Someone is controlling all that power. The potential to hurt yourself or others and ride carelessly are the same for all bikes.

·
Registered
334 Posts
forest1000 said:
"literbikes are really way too much for the street " and you would be riding how many cc's?

Don't knock the bikes. Someone is controlling all that power. The potential to hurt yourself or others and ride carelessly are the same for all bikes.
Forest, if you don't know the difference between 1500 cc of cruiser and 1000 cc of pure sportbike, all I can do is point you toward your nearest Motorcyclist magazine numbers column at the back of any of their mags.
If you really believe all bikes have the same potential for danger, that's certainly your right, however wrong I think you are.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts