Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone could help a feller out with some "key" issues. I keep my ignition key for my 1600 on my keyring with the dozen other keys I use regularly. I have to keep them all together on the same keyring because I am notorious for losing things. As many of us know, leaving your ignition key in the ignition switch on the 1600 is counterproductive because the keys bang all over the nacelle and tank, and your keychain usually flops over on top of the speedometer, covering everything from 60 - 80 mph. The easy answer is to pull the keys out of the ignition once it's running and stick the wad of 'em back in your pocket, which I have been doing. I don't like this because A: I don't like carrying around an uncomfortable hedgehog of keys in my pants, especially while I'm riding and B: I wear leather gloves whenever I ride, so I have to remove them before fishing my keys out of my pocket where they have settled to the very depths of my front pocket. I tried carrying them around on my belt loop on a D-ring, but... nah. I've been considering one of those key cases, the folding leather wallet-type ones that hold about 8 or 12 keys, but for some I can find them online but not anywhere in town. I guess not many people use those anymore.
I dunno. What is the key to all of this? O-key do-key, happy Tur-key day, and keyp the rubber side down.
(Sorry for the idiotic key references, but I can't stop myself) :oops:

·
Registered
224 Posts
OMG. Think there are two ways to handle this. First, just suck it up and deal with your keys. Second, sell the Vulcan and get a Concourse which has a proximity fob so you don't have to mess with keys.

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG. Think there are two ways to handle this. First, just suck it up and deal with your keys. Second, sell the Vulcan and get a Concourse which has a proximity fob so you don't have to mess with keys.
Thanks. I'll try both of those and see how that works out.

Yeah, I know this is a real mentally-challenged issue, but it's the day before Thanksgiving, I'm at work, it's dead in here, and I'm bored. (But I really do hate my keyring).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why don't you buy one of those little tool pouches that mounts to
the windshield or the forks to put the keys in while you're riding?

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Well, you can't argue with the logic, huh!

How about this...use one of those little carabeeners to connect your bike key to the rest of your key ring. when you ride, just take your bike key off and use it, when you turn the bike off, hook it back on the carabeener.

Or.....buy a concours! :D

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
I use a quick release keyring with a ring on each end.

My Ignition key is the only one attached to the smaller end of the connector, and even when it's dangling, it isn't long enough to reach any painted parts to scratch them.

Once I get off the bike, I snap the connector to the rest of the keys and they're all together again so I can lose them all at once.
(usually when I put them someplace where I wont' forget where I put them) :D

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here, I just scanned my keys on my flatbed scanner.

Today, I decided to go with this D-ring (which is I suppose just a variation on a carbeener) because it matches my denim vest :tongue: .
Not really.
If you count the keys, there are 8 total, not the dozen I mentioned earlier, which makes me a flat-out, bald faced liar, or at least an exaggerationist:confused: .
In pondering this dilemma along with other grave matters of the universe just now, I came up with this idea:

I just did this quick representation in photoshop. I do a lot of woodworking, and I just might try to slap one of these together. The keys would be strung up on the little metal rod, and they would all lie together sort of like a big swiss army knife. Maybe string a short spring on the rod also, to push the keys together for tension. It would be about the size of a cell phone, and maybe I could put a little strap on the top to make it easy to pull out of my pocket.
Next? Maybe one that holds a single key that springs out... like a switchblade. That way, I could act real threatening and pull it out, then flip it open and start up my bike and run away. :shock:

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

My Ignition key is the only one attached to the smaller end of the connector, and even when it's dangling, it isn't long enough to reach any painted parts to scratch them.

Once I get off the bike, I snap the connector to the rest of the keys and they're all together again so I can lose them all at once.
(usually when I put them someplace where I wont' forget where I put them) :D
Now that just might be a more practical solution. That way I could leave the dang key in the ignition. Thanks!

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
It's easy enough to manipulate the quick connector even with gloves on, or in the cold. It's worked for me for many years.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Tod,

I have the same thing, been using it so long most of the chrome is gone. It used to be a Jeep key and a house key on one side and all the rest on the other, now it's the 900 key and a house key.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Yep, same here.

I usually use them for a couple of years until all the chrome is gone and it's just brass, then I buy a new one for 2.99 at Pep Boys and start all over again wearing the chrome off. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Get a "clipping" keyring for your motorcycle key. When you ride, unclip it from your larger ring of keys. When you get off the bike, clip it back on the overall ring. Lots of "clipping-style" rings out there. D-ring like a climber's clip works, too. Or a detachable one.

·
Thats a Kawasaki?
220 Posts
I just put my motorcycle key, which is only one key by itself with a loop on the end, and shove it in my change pocket, the little pocket above your big pocket on your right hand side. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I always just leave my bike keys seperate and tossed it in a back pocket, which works great as long as there isn't a hole in the pocket...

My Duc key is HUGE since it's a chipped key for the immobilizer ignition.

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I always just leave my bike keys seperate and tossed it in a back pocket, which works great as long as there isn't a hole in the pocket...

My Duc key is HUGE since it's a chipped key for the immobilizer ignition.
I can't do that. I'd have my key lost in no time. I'm about as absentminded as they come. I have to consolidate all of my pocketed stuff into as few separate items as possible, which boils down to keys, wallet, and phone. Anything more than that and I'm lost, man.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I hear you on the annoying keyrings in the pockets though, I actually have mine split into two. My Explorer has the little remote for the alarm and locks and another massive key for the ignition, so I leave those two on a ring and drop them into my pocket, and my house keys and other various keys are on another keyring that has an anchor on it that I had in my Navy days, that gets dropped in my pocket, but hooked on the top of it so it just kind of hangs inside of my pocket, much more comfortable!

·
Registered
604 Posts

My Ignition key is the only one attached to the smaller end
I use this too but I still take it out and stuff it in my pocket. If I'm only getting off the bike for a minute I don't turn the ignition off, I just hit the kill switch. Then I just start the bike back up when I'm ready to push off. If I'm gonna be off the bike for more than about 5 minutes or so I figure I'll be taking my gloves off anyway so I can pull the key out of my pocket before I put my gloves back on....

Works for me anyway :smile:

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
I have to consolidate all of my pocketed stuff into as few separate items as possible, which boils down to keys, wallet, and phone. Anything more than that and I'm lost, man.
+1

1 - 20 of 43 Posts