Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,
So I bought the bike of my dreams a couple of months ago, a 2004 Mean Streak.
I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and I am going to buy me some forward controls over the winter.
My question to you all out there is what do you like and why?
In searching the net two products keep coming up, the Mapam 4"Fwd controls, and the Jardine 7"Fwd controls.
Any thoughts out there?

And to get my "two bits" worth in on the whole metric vs. harley thing that will not die. I don't care what you ride. Wave as you pass by and I'll do the same (I have noticed that "some" of the Harley guys won't give you the time of day as they pass and really it only shows the character of that person, not much else)
Other than that most two-wheelers I run into are the greatest people I have ever met. Hands down.

Merry Xmas to you all out there,
from a newbie to the forum.
Carlo.

·
Registered
132 Posts
ppark said:
I like the stock forward control because I have short legs. But for people w/ long legs, after marktet forward control will give your more leg room.
For another option, try this: http://www.highwayman.bc.ca/kawasaki.shtml
So what exactly is the reason for these "forward controls". Is it just for taller people with longer legs?

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
i personally prefer forward controls no matter what cruiser i ride. the only reason i don't have them now is i have footboards. to answer your questions btreaves, it saves you from having controls and highway pegs and switching back and forth all of the time. it is nice to be able to shift and brake from your comfort postition. that said, comfort is the reason i like them and also the reason a lot of people don't, its all a personal choice.
now, trikebubble, i had a pair of mapam controls on my old magna. the quality was definitely not jardine, but neither was the price. i normally don't buy accessories to shine so i was only looking at the price. they served me well for two years.
as far as your comments about harley vs. metric, i will jump on board with you. i am installing a harley FLH fairing on my nomad this winter and can't wait to see all the harley guys that wave thinking i am on a harley !!! hehehe, jokes on them. oh well, should keep me from having comments under my breath for the ones that don't wave ! either way, welcome to the forum and merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

david

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
btreaves said:
So what exactly is the reason for these "forward controls". Is it just for taller people with longer legs?
If you are referring to after market forward controls, all of them (at least for the Mean Streaks) are mounted a few inches forward of the stock forward control. Many people find the existing forward control too close for comfort and find the after market controls more comfortable (and better looking).

I tried to find adirect replacement (i.e., maintain the same location) forward control or mid control but was not able to for my Mean Strek. [I thought the mid control on my Mean streak will be easier to ride fast without a wind shield. The only mid control for a cruiser I saw was for the Harley V-Rod - actually a kit to relocate the stock forward control to mid control]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the info on forward controls...Now I understand what they are for...Luckily I don't need any, the stock controls suit me just fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know this post is kinda old, but has anyone bought the Mapam's for their Meanie? I am thinking about getting them and wanted to see if anyone had used them and if it was really worth the extra $100 for the Jardine version. I think the Mapam actually looks a little better than the Jardine, but quality matters too.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
msharc said:
I know this post is kinda old, but has anyone bought the Mapam's for their Meanie? I am thinking about getting them and wanted to see if anyone had used them and if it was really worth the extra $100 for the Jardine version. I think the Mapam actually looks a little better than the Jardine, but quality matters too.

I bought and installed the Mapam controls a month ago. I really like them. I noticed on a picture of the Jardine controls that they seem to raise your footpeg up, as well as pushing it forward. For me anyways, I wanted to keep the pedals at the same height as the stock, just further forward, hence the Mapam's.
They give the bike a whole new feel, it certainly makes it more comfortable.
As far as installation goes, they do not come with instructions. Just a schematic of the assembly, in Italian.
They go on without too much troulbe, you just have to be patient. I did have to shorten the brake linkage to get the pedal where I wanted it.
I am 6'2" and would recommend them to anyone around my height.

·
Ludicrous Speed...GO!
1,866 Posts
If you are tall they will be a nice addition to your Meanie but if you have a short inseam you will probably regret the purchase.

·
32,545 Posts
msharc said:
i had Mapam controls on my old Magna and i know a few guys on here are happy with them. trike covered the basics, but i also wanted to add that i'd be surprised if the Jardine's were only $100 more. from what i have seen, Jardine's usually run around $600 and i know some guys on here have picked up the Mapam's for in the $300 range.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I have seen the Jardines in the $500 range on a few websites and I saw the Mapams for about $400. I am 6'3" and about a 34" inseam, so I am definitely in need of them. Thanks for the two cents. Now all I have to do is find the money!

·
Registered
427 Posts
trikebubble said:
OK,
So I bought the bike of my dreams a couple of months ago, a 2004 Mean Streak.
I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and I am going to buy me some forward controls over the winter.
My question to you all out there is what do you like and why?
In searching the net two products keep coming up, the Mapam 4"Fwd controls, and the Jardine 7"Fwd controls.
Any thoughts out there?

And to get my "two bits" worth in on the whole metric vs. harley thing that will not die. I don't care what you ride. Wave as you pass by and I'll do the same (I have noticed that "some" of the Harley guys won't give you the time of day as they pass and really it only shows the character of that person, not much else)
Other than that most two-wheelers I run into are the greatest people I have ever met. Hands down.

Merry Xmas to you all out there,
from a newbie to the forum.
Carlo.
Mapam! I'm 6"5 and a 36" inseam. They work great!

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I have the Jardine's on my MS with the matching mini-floorboards. They are awesome. I beleive I paid $600 installed for the controls, and about $175 for the floorboards and added them myself.

I haven't seem the Mapam's installed, so I can't comment on the difference.

I'm 6'3", so I had to do forwards. The factory pegs were just too cramped for me.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Lattimer said:
I have the Jardine's on my MS with the matching mini-floorboards. They are awesome. I beleive I paid $600 installed for the controls, and about $175 for the floorboards and added them myself.

I haven't seem the Mapam's installed, so I can't comment on the difference.

I'm 6'3", so I had to do forwards. The factory pegs were just too cramped for me.
See the PICS here

·
Registered
534 Posts
I may be the only Mean Streak rider that feels like this, but ... sometimes I find myself wanting rear controls, like on a sport tourer bike. Sometimes, I lean forward with my back straight and wish that my feet were right under or just behind me ... :?

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
OMG! Me too!

tcobar said:
I may be the only Mean Streak rider that feels like this, but ... sometimes I find myself wanting rear controls, like on a sport tourer bike. Sometimes, I lean forward with my back straight and wish that my feet were right under or just behind me ... :?

I feel like I want rear controls too... funny you should say that... sometimes I pretend I have them and lean forward like I am on a crotch rocket with my legs behind me....
that's funny....
I guess it's cuz it's a sport cruiser!

·
C14 quick like a bunny!
2,504 Posts
Ioops I keep logging in and posting under snickerdoodle!

snickerdoodle said:
I feel like I want rear controls too... funny you should say that... sometimes I pretend I have them and lean forward like I am on a crotch rocket with my legs behind me....
that's funny....

That was me az chick!

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
32,545 Posts
AweSix said:
I really like how simple these are, and think they look great. Although, I think this distributor put the pegs on backwards, I believe from another picture on Highwayhawk.com, that they are supposed to face the other way and taper to the rear, not the front.

http://secure.cycleaccessoriesoutlet.com/str/customer/product.php?productid=697&cat=399&page=1

I have a message into them asking how far forward they move the peg. I'll let you know if you are interested.
those do look pretty good. cycleaccessoriesoutlet is a pretty decent place. the prices are good, and they ship stuff pretty quick, as long as you don't feel the need to speak with or email an actual person. i ordered the sissy bar, rack, and forward controls for my old Magna from them and i was pleased with the pricing.

·
Registered
534 Posts
that's funny....

Hi AZ Chick! Glad to see that I'm not the only one. There are times where I put down the passenger pegs, lean forward and put my feet back on the passenger pegs. Rest my upper body on the tank bag. Really gives you the feel of a sport bike.... Only done this a few times that I wanted to go a bit faster than normal.... Gotta love the sport cruiser !! :grin:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts