Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.I have a 2009 Vulcan clsssic Lt 900 that I bought In August I like it, But I would like a bike with cruise, and a bigger engine. So I have been looking at a 2009 Nomad.I like how it looks and feels. the bigger engine,hard bags cruise. crash bars, ect,Any thoughts, likes dislikes ect would be great thanks, David

·
Retired Retard
156 Posts
I like it. A lot. In fact I have a choice when I go out to my garage and I take the Nomad nearly every time.
It gets some attention for being purty and it'll do everything I want it to do.

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
If I was buying a bike today, it would be a Nomad, so I lagree with your thinking.

A left over or barely used 1600 would be tempting due to the larger size and great feel for me.

The 1700 is cool for 6th gear.

Preferences - the 1600 is a longer bike with more room. I like that. Proven engine and tranny - though clutch spring may be weak. The 1700 feels a lot like Harley size to me (smaller) but has belt drive which some prefer. And, as stated before, 6th gear.

·
Registered
935 Posts
the biggest down side for you is that the Nomad is not going to handle like your 900 in town. The Nomad is a great bike, and good, maybe even very good in town,but it is not a 900 size bike. Either way you can't go wrong, you will only have some trade offs. Other things to consider- how often you have a passanger, how long are your road trips, long or short, for me a short road trip is 250- 400 miles depending on what direction I go, I live in the sticks, for other a long road trip is 200 miles, all kinds of things to consider. good luck.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I have a 900 Custom and rode a 1700 Nomad at the Arizona Bike Week in April 09. I am 5'8" and thought the bike was slightly cramped. I am referring to the reach to the bars, but maybe that reduced reach equates to a more comfortable long ride. I felt the power was better than my 900, but not quite as strong as I had expected. I would certainly like to ride one again to confirm or clarify my initial impressions.

I have added saddle bags to my Custom and am now very aware of how much space is needed for various objects. I like the hard bags of the Nomad, but without actually loading them, I am not sure of the storage space. I am sure that they are adequate for most trips.

I agree with Slow Ride about defining what type of riding that you like to do. Most of my riding is on the highway trying to stay away from interstates. I ride around town less than 20% of the time, so I would like to upgrade to a larger bike too, but haven't found one I like better than my 900 yet! You will be best served by defining what you want from the bike, better road manners, longer gearing, etc. Have fun and good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts