Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Quick question. I just got my 440 LTD up and running after a rebuild and adjusted the mixture screws properly and the throttle screw (which determines how open the throttle butterflys are during idle) and the bike idles like a top. However, when I rev the engine, say to 4,000 rpm's, the bike will stay revving this high even when I get off the throttle. It will only stay stuck for a couple seconds and then it will come back down.

Not only that, but the bike just seems to rev high for no reason. Like if I start the bike up, it'll just rev up to 3 or 4 grand on idle. So I'll shut it down, restart it and it'll be fine. It just seems erratic. I assume it's something with the throttle cable but there doesn't appear to be any sticking of the cable and the throttle adjustment lever doesn't appear to be stuck or sticking either. Just confused because there doesn't appear to be any cable related reason for it. Anyway, if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kirk

·
Registered
359 Posts
Could be vacuum leak, check the manifolds, they get hard and then don't seal well to the head. Lean condition can cause racing at idle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey,

Thanks for the replies, I'll check the manifold. Also, the airbox is on the bike but I don't have the air filter piece fitted on yet, would that make a difference in the idle? I'll try fitting it to the bike and see if it makes a difference and let you know. Thanks!

Kirk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts