Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here and this may have been covered, what are you using to hold throttle grip (cruise control) in place to give the right hand a break on trips.
I am riding a 2008 Vulcan Nomad.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Pretty happy with the vista cruise.

·
Off THE KICKSTAND
123 Posts
riding an 06 nomad with a throttle lock, its ok on flat country but if you have hills and running 70 mph, down hill my bike will pick up quite a bit of speed, sometimes 20+ mph on a tall hill, you might check with your steeler on throttle lock vs cruise control.

·
Registered
42 Posts
riding an 06 nomad with a throttle lock, its ok on flat country but if you have hills and running 70 mph, down hill my bike will pick up quite a bit of speed, sometimes 20+ mph on a tall hill, you might check with your steeler on throttle lock vs cruise control.
I have my FlipaLever set so there is just enough friction to hold the throttle. It makes it easy to make adjustments with the throttle and it still gives my hand a rest. A simple twist on the throttle in either direction is all it takes.Where I live it is not flat. As long as I have the throttle tension off my hand, I am good to go for a long time. I have an 07 Nomad.

JohnR

·
Registered
117 Posts
HIGHWAY is correct about not holding speed up and down. I just use mine to rest my hand and not for riding for any long time period. It's a lot cheaper than cruise control and will let your hand rest.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
The "Clever Lever"....Small,discrete,cheap,well made,effective.
Really like mine

·
Pass Me Safely!
72 Posts
I use Break Away. Works great and no problems after using this throttle for about a year. Does not look out of place either.

·
Another fat truck driver!
12 Posts
New here and this may have been covered, what are you using to hold throttle grip (cruise control) in place to give the right hand a break on trips.
I use an o-ring for now. Slide it between the grip and the control housing and cruise. I have a universal electronic cruise control waiting to be installed but never got around to installing it.

Hope this helps.
Huck..

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would think a throttle lock would need constant adjustment to maintain a desired speed over the ups and downs, particularly in a state like Colorado, where I live. I'm also amazed at all the rolling hills in Kansas, a state which I thought was flat until I traveled across it.

Because of this and to avoid the cost of cruise control, I've opted for the Kuryakyn Throttle Boss. This allows me to rest my open hand across the top of the grip, thus pressing the Boss down and maintain the desired speed, easily making adjustments to maintain speed over variations in the slope of the road. The only effort required to cut the throttle is to lift the hand and the OEM spring will move the throttle back to its lowest setting. A throttle lock would require some additional movement or effort to disengage the lock. To vary my hand position to further avoid fatigue, I grasp the throttle at the end of the grip and the protruding Boss lets me control the throttle with very little gripping effort. The trick to the most comfort is to adjust the Boss so it will be nearly horizontal while maintaining highway speeds under most conditions. Trying to hold the Boss for the majority of the time either above or below horizontal does require added effort and if up, presses into the palm. The Boss can't (well -- maybe, but shouldn't) be adjusted while riding, but is easily adjusted when stopped and after a few trial and error sequences, will be just right most of the time.

I used the standard Boss on my '02 VN800 Classic on 1820 and 1490 mile trips experiencing almost no cramping or fatigue. I put the Extended Throttle Boss, which is 1/4 inch longer, on my '07 VN900 Classic, and though needing a little more adjustment to reach that horizontal position most of the time, and was a little uncomfortable because it was sticking up a little into the palm of my hand, kept me from getting cramps and undue fatique on a 910 mile trip.

Nowhere as nice as cruise control, but really good for $16 to $30 list!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
With a throttle lock you do have to adjust with the hills and valleys, wind intensities. But just the fact that you set it, relax your grip and bump it one way or the other from time to time gives you hand a break. Except for my last trip through Kansas. I had periods of over half an hour that I didn't change the setting that I was conscious of. Not as flat as the run from Houston to Galveston, but flat enough.

I had a buddy tell me once that the Galveston run you can kick your dog and watch him run away for three days just by standing on the curb.

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
I use the Vista, but not like alot of guys do. I never leave it on like a cruise control. when my hand gets tired, I lock'r on. maybe for a mile or two, at most. then click it off and ride.
I like knowing I have control of my throttle. now, if I had the Brakeaway, I might use it like a cruise, because with that unit, when you hit your front brakes, it disengages. pretty nifty unit

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Vista Cruise

Got a Vista Cruise just before my holidays this summer and made all the diff in the world. I only used it when i felt my hand fatiguing or getting numb but that was all i needed it for. Was nice to be able to switch from one hand to the other while riding.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts