Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some of you might remember, but I am practically completely new to motorcycling and motorycles themselfs. I'm waiting to get my owners manual and the service manuals, need the money lol. But my throttle doesn't seem to snap back all the way and it does it at a kinda slow pace.
The bike is a 2000 Kawa 250R. It has 7544 miles on it and needs a bit of TLC. And that is why I'm here after doing a quick search through the forums. I was just wondering what might be going on and if any one could tell me how to fix this or if its hard or even if I have to buy somthing new. Thank you in advance. Oh and like I said, I'm new to motorcycles so if you could be as descriptive as possible or maybe even take pictures of similar parts, that would be great. Thank you again.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um, like I said, I'm totally new and have no idea how to do that lol. any tips?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also another question. Can I use WD-40 to clean the gunk off the chain and lube the throttle and clutch cables by the handles on the handle bars? Will it hurt those components? Also I know I have to lube the chain but I can still use WD-40 to clean the gunk first right? And also to clean other hinges too right? Like kickstand pivots and pivots for my handle bars, passenger pegs and such aswell correct?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
WD-40 should be alright on the o-ring chain. If my chain is excessively gunky I use a bicycle chain cleaner (google "grunge brush") with an automotive degreaser, usually whatevers on sale at autoquestzonepartsPA. A nylon brush would work too I suppose, as well as old toothbrushes you might have around. I happen to work at a bike shop so.... yoink. :mrgreen:

You'll want to get a quality motorcycle chain wax. I use Maxima brand as its been heavily recommended and it tends to be thicker than the PJ stuff I've used. I've also used the Castrol black stuff but I'll only use it again in a pinch. Its too runny and black (instead of white) so it makes an awful mess.

WD-40 will work on just about any situation. Its generally plastic and paint friendly. To lube your cables the only real solution is to literally disassemble your handlebar controls and use an old fashioned oil can to drip oil into them very slowly. It took me the better part of 90 minutes to do but I was killing time and it's well worth it as my cables are much smoother. Night and day difference.

Its messy and not for those without patience though lol

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
in line on the throttle cable there is a place that you can adjust the length of the cables. undo the jamb nut and twist. one way makes the cable longer giving less freeplay, the other makes the cable shorter giving more freeplay.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Also another question. Can I use WD-40 to clean the gunk off the chain and lube the throttle and clutch cables by the handles on the handle bars? Will it hurt those components? Also I know I have to lube the chain but I can still use WD-40 to clean the gunk first right? And also to clean other hinges too right? Like kickstand pivots and pivots for my handle bars, passenger pegs and such aswell correct?
WD-40 doesn't hurt anything. The problem with using it foir a lube is that it degrades to something like varnish over time. There are better spray lubes available (in fact, I don't think there are any worse ones possible). You can use it for hosing crap off but I would using something better inside cables.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
To lube your cables the only real solution is to literally disassemble your handlebar controls and use an old fashioned oil can to drip oil into them very slowly. It took me the better part of 90 minutes to do but I was killing time and it's well worth it as my cables are much smoother. Night and day difference.

Its messy and not for those without patience though lol
Another easy way is to take the cables off and hold them up. I use a good spray lube with teflon and hook the nozzle into the cable at the top (wrap a rag around it) and hose away inside the cable. Let it soak down, work the cable a bit, then do it again. It doesn't take long to flush the gunk through (gravity is working for you) and get it really smooth running again.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the jamb nut on the handle bars or on the thing on my engine where the throttle cable attaches too? Also I have my oil window thing on my throttle handle bar and if the Jamb nut is on the handle bar, would it be like next to that or what?

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Another easy way is to take the cables off and hold them up. I use a good spray lube with teflon and hook the nozzle into the cable at the top (wrap a rag around it) and hose away inside the cable. Let it soak down, work the cable a bit, then do it again. It doesn't take long to flush the gunk through (gravity is working for you) and get it really smooth running again.
Or, you can buy one of these and do it quickly without getting goo all over your bike. Works way better than gravity.

Motion Pro Cables - Cable Luber

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and JimmyD, what kind of oil do you mean with the oil drip. I know what you mean by oil drip but I don't know a name brand to buy or generally where to buy it. Because my throttle kinda sticks open, but just a little, so I'm trying to figure out what is causing it and how to fix it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you skewt. That would make lubing much easier, but not the question is what kind of cable lube should I use? Anyone have any reccomendations?

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Thank you skewt. That would make lubing much easier, but not the question is what kind of cable lube should I use? Anyone have any reccomendations?
check out CableLife made by protectall.

Protect All Polish, Wax and Treatment

You can probably find it or something like it at your local bicycle shop or auto parts store. One can will last you a very long time. You might be able to use Tri-Flow (check your hardware store) as well, but I've had good luck w/CableLife. I would avoid oil and especially WD40 for this purpose. They both attract & retain dirt, which in turn invites corrosion.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, thank you so much for the help. Once I get some money saved up I want to take it either to the dealer or a cycle repair shop and get it check out and see if it needs anything. I'm going to order an owners manual tomorrow so I can take care of simple things like the anti-freeze to water ratio considering my coolant lvl is like 1/4-1/2 inch away from the Low mark line.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
Is the jamb nut on the handle bars or on the thing on my engine where the throttle cable attaches too? Also I have my oil window thing on my throttle handle bar and if the Jamb nut is on the handle bar, would it be like next to that or what?
I'm assuming that the oil level window on the handle bar is for your brake fluid. do not put oil in there.

the jamb nut is inline of the cable. grab the throttle cable where it comes out of the housing, there is an adjuster on the opening cable. undo the locking nut and turn it one way then try it if it is worse go the other way.

you can look up the part at kawasaki.com and it is part number 54012-1291

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ok, thank you so much for the help. Once I get some money saved up I want to take it either to the dealer or a cycle repair shop and get it check out and see if it needs anything. I'm going to order an owners manual tomorrow so I can take care of simple things like the anti-freeze to water ratio considering my coolant lvl is like 1/4-1/2 inch away from the Low mark line.
You might want to get a Haynes manual instead, they have all the amounts of fluids you would need and alot more repair info, I got one for my 95 zx6r and if I had the tools and the b*lls I could take my whole bike apart and rebuild it darn near from the book. Just used it to remove the carbs so I can rebuild those and I got them off fairly quickly considering I had no idea what I was doing.

Think it cost me like 20-25 bucks on ebay

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, thanks man. Yea I meant brake fluid lmao, but my fingers typed oil. That would have been a disaster if I put oil in there right. But I have one more question. Would adjusting this make my throttle twistgrip snap fully closed? or is there a spring in there that might have worn out or something.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
If you follow the end of your throttle cable down to the carbs, twist the throttle and see what happens.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The thing that the throttle attaches to will get stuck at about half open. I physically have to twist the twist grip in the opposite direction to close it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts