Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently wrecked the quad into water and have fully changed oil twice. I took it out today in the mud and now the throttle is sticking badly. I already checked the throttle housing on the handlebars and where the throttle mounts onto the carb. This is an 1987 bike. Could the cable just be worn out or is there something else that would cause this?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Kawa mojave said:
I recently wrecked the quad into water and have fully changed oil twice. I took it out today in the mud and now the throttle is sticking badly. I already checked the throttle housing on the handlebars and where the throttle mounts onto the carb. This is an 1987 bike. Could the cable just be worn out or is there something else that would cause this?
make sure the screws holding the housing are not too TIGHT, make sure that your cable isnt kinked, make sure your grip didnt slide over and is not pressing on the housing too much if all these things check out then pull the throttle housing on the bar and pull the cable by hand, it should snap back without a problem, if it gets held up then it may be kinked, rusted inside or frayed.
good luck :wink:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Sameinfo

Just loosten the throttle line and feel for the tightness in the cable at the motor and then feel for tightness in the cable...you should be able to get enough slack to be able to do this...narrow it down to either the cable, throttle end or hte engine end...and work from there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help. I ended up taking the cable off the bike and found out the the housing was filled with all sorts of stuff. I decided to buy a new one.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Keep it as a spare

Soak it in diesel, blow it out wit compressed air and then plug the ends with grease, or whatever, you can use it again when you need to...just rol it up or hang it and save it till later...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts