Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a kawasaki 800 classic reallynice bike runs great but a few months ago i started to hear like a ticking noise as i slowed down,i dont get it when the engine is running when i have stopped.Ihave tryed to listenwhile i have changed gears but that seems okay.
Any ideas
Thanks mackblack.:

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
R u using the recomended oil? some guys use 20-50 and that's too thick for water cooled engines.

·
Registered
543 Posts
check the slack and condition of your chain and sprokets. I'd be willing to bet some adjustment is needed.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
So you only get this sound when you are slowing down?

Does any of the following affect the tick:

1. reeving the engine - Does the tick increase or decrease in frequency with just engine reeving while moving and holding in clutch?

2. If you pull the clutch in while moving at a slower speed (12-25 or when ever you hear the ticking) and you hold the clutch in and kill the engine does the ticking still remain?

Clean your chain first. It could be a link hanging up.

If that doesn't work you might have a brake caliper hanging up in the front. It may not be retracting all the way causing a brake pad to click.

This happened on my old ZX-12R. I tried cleaning the calipers really well first, but one of the pots kept sticking (Dual 6 piston calipers) so I just rebuilt the calipers since they were due to begine with. New seals and dust rings.

After that the ticking went away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to you all who replied my question,it helped me a lot and yes it was the chain it was to slack .

Thanks again
mackblack

·
This We'll Defend
1,374 Posts
Whew... I thought this was going to turn into another 1,000 + thread... glad to hear you got it figured out. :wink:

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
When I read this thread earlier, I was going to refer him to the donkey thread. But then I realized how mean that would be...

If you are curious, look for the thread titled "going in for service, ticking driving me nuts" or something to that effect. Grab a few beers, make some popcorn, and enjoy hours of entertainment!

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
When I read this thread earlier, I was going to refer him to the donkey thread. But then I realized how mean that would be...

If you are curious, look for the thread titled "going in for service, ticking driving me nuts" or something to that effect. Grab a few beers, make some popcorn, and enjoy hours of entertainment!
As soon as I saw the thread title I nearly choked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts