Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I got a 2004 500R and I notice when I stand near my bike and listen I hear ticking noise not loud but it comes from the valves. Is valves ticking slightly normal?

I just had my bike serviced for the first time at my dealer and all they basically did was change oil, lub chain/brakes ect, check over the bike.

Do they not do carb adjustments? or valves adjustment for the first tune up?

·
Registered
412 Posts
If it the 500-mile service, yes, they are supposed to adjust the valves and sync the carbs. Had mine done a few weeks ago. Look in your owners manual under maintenance, it give a list of everything they should do on the 500-mile service.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I use mid-grade myself. If you are running a lower octane fuel and the engine 'knocks' then you are preigniting and you need to up the octane rating.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I did most of my 600 mile maintance myself. The only thing I couldn't do was the valves, so I took that to a dealer and the mechanic said the valves are fine unless you hear a ticking noise and I dont hear a ticking noise at all so does that mean that I am all set?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
r409z said:
I did most of my 600 mile maintance myself. The only thing I couldn't do was the valves, so I took that to a dealer and the mechanic said the valves are fine unless you hear a ticking noise and I dont hear a ticking noise at all so does that mean that I am all set?
Yeah, I would think so, I need to go in at some point and adjust my valves (I'm working on 16K on the bike) but I doubt I'll get to it till this winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts