Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
Is it possible to retract the tensioner without removing it from the engine?
It is...
That bike should have a cross-wedge design. There should be a wedge going in at 90 degrees to the main tensioner piston. You can remove the cap. Have a look at the kawasaki.com parts diagrams.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff. The one on kawasaki site looks like mine but the one in my manual is different and it does not say how to retract it, only how to lock the plunger in place. Which I did not bother doing when I removed the cams. :frown:

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Ouch!! I assume the tensioner extended all the way and the wedge locked it in place? If you can get the pressure off the wedge by loosening/removing the spring, then you should be able to pull up on the chain and push the tensioner back in, then lock it with the bolt.

I've never had to try this myself, but it "should" work.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure how far it extended as I kept pressure on the chain when I pulled the cams so the chain would not come off the bottom end. I zip tied the chain to the sprockets and then with a piece of romex pulled it up to keep it taught and tied it to the frame. Going back together I see I need a little chain slack to seat both cams.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.