Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember those blaster water guns your kids or neighbor's kids tossed away years ago, grab one at a thrift store and fill it with ammonia for those trips where black bears and grizzlies can be a problem. I talked with a park ranger and he said it works as effective as bear spray. I've got one, which I painted flat black so I wouldn't look too silly with in hanging off my sissybar bag. You will probably laugh at this post unless you find yourself, like I did, on the Blue Ridge Parkway and noticed something large, black, and furry, brousing around on the side of the road. I stopped, beeped my horn, only to see the bear raise it's furry head and walk toward me (not what I had hoped for). Luckily, I had time to turn my bike around and scoot to the next overlook, where I rested over a drink and decided to make my next move.

Once, in Yellowstone, I was in a car, but there were two motorcycles directly in front of me, when we were stopped in traffic as a herd of buffalo crossed the highway. All of them except a large bull who decided to walk down the middle of the highway toward us. The two couples on the two motorcycles were wiggling around trying to move over on the right side of the stopped cars. Luckily, I had enough room behind me to back up a tad and the bikers pulled back and then moved over to the right and I pulled my car up alongside them to offer some protection. The buffalo are more notorious than bears in Yellowstone. They probably would have been fine, but the bull did stop and look their way. He probably was just admiring the bikes, but it's hard to tell what's on their minds!

The blaster might not be a cure all, especially where grizzlies are concerned. I was reading where a protection agent was guarding some surveyors in Alaska and shot a large grizz with substantial rubber bullets. The bear became instantly enraged and became more focused on the agent who had to resort to plan "B"! Still, I know black bears hate pepper spray and if ammonia will work as well, it's a lot cheaper and the blaster will squirt farther!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Remember those blaster water guns your kids or neighbor's kids tossed away years ago, grab one at a thrift store and fill it with ammonia for those trips where black bears and grizzlies can be a problem. I talked with a park ranger and he said it works as effective as bear spray. I've got one, which I painted flat black so I wouldn't look too silly with in hanging off my sissybar bag. You will probably laugh at this post unless you find yourself, like I did, on the Blue Ridge Parkway and noticed something large, black, and furry, brousing around on the side of the road. I stopped, beeped my horn, only to see the bear raise it's furry head and walk toward me (not what I had hoped for). Luckily, I had time to turn my bike around and scoot to the next overlook, where I rested over a drink and decided to make my next move.

Once, in Yellowstone, I was in a car, but there were two motorcycles directly in front of me, when we were stopped in traffic as a herd of buffalo crossed the highway. All of them except a large bull who decided to walk down the middle of the highway toward us. The two couples on the two motorcycles were wiggling around trying to move over on the right side of the stopped cars. Luckily, I had enough room behind me to back up a tad and the bikers pulled back and then moved over to the right and I pulled my car up alongside them to offer some protection. The buffalo are more notorious than bears in Yellowstone. They probably would have been fine, but the bull did stop and look their way. He probably was just admiring the bikes, but it's hard to tell what's on their minds!

The blaster might not be a cure all, especially where grizzlies are concerned. I was reading where a protection agent was guarding some surveyors in Alaska and shot a large grizz with substantial rubber bullets. The bear became instantly enraged and became more focused on the agent who had to resort to plan "B"! Still, I know black bears hate pepper spray and if ammonia will work as well, it's a lot cheaper and the blaster will squirt farther!
This has been my favorite bear deterent. I' rather have a dead bear then one mad at me, sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This has been my favorite bear deterent. I' rather have a dead bear then one mad at me, sorry.
I couldn't agree with you more, and own several myself. The problem is, if you are found carrying on national park terrain, the fines start out at around $5,000, not to mention all that time hanging around Federal Court. Still, that's better than being ripped open by an animal. Personally, I think everyone should be "required" to carry a firearm, especially where bears and mountain lions hang out. I have a permit to carry in all 50 states and usually have one stashed somewhere, since I'm retired law enforcement.

·
Ninja tomato farmer
17,646 Posts
Reminds me of my first trip across the Cherohala Skyway. I stopped at a viewing area and was admiring the bear proof garbage cans when it occurred to me that you only need bear proof garbage cans if there are bears in your area. I became a bit nervous bacause it was almost dark and there was no traffic whatsoever. So I hopped on the scoot and headed back out.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Best means to get a bear to leave you alone is to be faster than the slowest in your party. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
try bells or pepper spray-or maybe not....

With grizz, ya gotta wonder why they wouldn't like pepper spray.........we're talking about an animal that buries a moose and then comes back weeks later to eat it..........pepper spray has got to be better than that!!

In grizz country, anything short of an M-60 would make me worry. Something the size of a charlet bull with claws, teeth, and attitude scares me!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
With grizz, ya gotta wonder why they wouldn't like pepper spray.........we're talking about an animal that buries a moose and then comes back weeks later to eat it..........pepper spray has got to be better than that!!

In grizz country, anything short of an M-60 would make me worry. Something the size of a charlet bull with claws, teeth, and attitude scares me!
HAHHHHHHH, My point exactly!!!!! Too Funny

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like most situations where death is staring me in the face, I find if I repeat "Oh snit, Oh snit, Oh snit" over and over, I usually work through the event. Did I mention my eyes are closed when I do this?????

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
along with Bear encounters, one also needs to know what to do when faced with a mountain lion, the following is an illustration;

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
You will probably laugh at this post unless you find yourself, like I did, on the Blue Ridge Parkway and noticed something large, black, and furry, brousing around on the side of the road. I stopped, beeped my horn, only to see the bear raise it's furry head and walk toward me (not what I had hoped for).

I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway last week and would have loved to see a bear!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ride on the BRP a lot, it's near my home. During the day, you'll know if there's a bear nearby because traffic will be backed up forever. When you finally work your way through the traffic, it's not unusual to see people trying to hand feed the bear/s, that is until the Rangers show up. That's what makes the bears a problem for bikers, they are not that afraid of people. That and they can smell beer on your breath for a long distance and figure you're holding out on them!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts