Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be changing out the stock 17 tooth front sprocket on my 04' 800 Classic for the 18 tooth sprocket this weekend.

Is it a simple remove the chain, replace the sprocket or is there any tricks or tip that I should be aware of before I attempt.

I have swapped Sprockets and chain before, just not on the 800 Classic.:wink:

Thanks in advance

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
The sprocket nut is really tight. Using an air wrench is the best bet. If you don't have one, you will need a long cheater bar and someone to help hold the bike.

Some recommend tossing the washer and using locktite on the nut when re-installing, then torque to 150 ft. lbs.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Wow 150 foot pounds.......dang be cautious tightening it that hard.

the lock washer keeps it from loosening, and really no sprocket needs to be squashed in there that hard.
I cannot say i have ever used a torque wrench for a countershaft nut, but i can tell from my pull on the wrench its maybe half of that when I do them up.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Hey Guys,
I just got my hands on the Kawasaki Shop Manual and it calls for 92 ft lbs on that sprocket bolt!!;)

That's with the washer. Lots of riders found after removal of the sprocket nut and washer, re-installing was best without the washer, torque at 150 ft lbs with locktite. The washer caused lots of problems after re-installing.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
I would leave the washer and torque it what the manual says. I have never had trouble with the washer. I don't know what kind of problems you could have.

Well, it's documented. The results are not good.

Maybe you will never have a problem, maybe you will.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, so have at it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It's true, the washers can mushroom out over time, with the jerking of the gears I guess, but when I replaced mine the nut was only finger tight because of this. I removed the washer and locktighted, still tight.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
I'll go ahead and put my dog in.

The oddity was discovered by Tweek over at Scootworks during the development of the belt drive kit. When replacing chains with the belt it was found the countershaft nut was loose to the point of being able to turn it by hand after unlocking the washer. The washer is very soft and after as little as 3000 miles of starting and stopping it will wear to the point of causing a clearance problem to exist. The recommended torque of 94 ft lbs works fine to begin with, but after the soft washer wears, it no longer will hold the sprocket. It is recommended to re-torque to 150 ft. lbs. to stop this problem. The washer can still be used, but some just tossed it and used loctite. But some also found without the washer the nut would bottom out. This was due to different thickness of the countershaft nuts on some models. So, if you do toss the washer, be sure to check that the nut does not bottom out. Either way, with the washer or not, the recommended torque is now 150 ft. lbs.

·
20,826 Posts
Hey Guys,
I just got my hands on the Kawasaki Shop Manual and it calls for 92 ft lbs on that sprocket bolt!!;)
Makes a lot more sense to me than 150 ft lbs of torque.
I would be pizzed off if someone stressed my countershaft that hard for no reason.
Its not going to come loose.
So why torque it so tight.

Might as well do up the triple clamp bolts to 150 ft lbs while your busy overtightening stuff.
Heck lets use a 3/4 impact on that rear axle to, I think snap on rates my big impact at something like 1000 ft lbs so I can let it hammer for a bit.

Yeesh people, do NOT do the nut up to any where near 150 !!!

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
My god......I give up.

If you people don't what the advice from well documented experienced riders and shops that have years of experience and already have been through the trials and testing, found the problems and come up with what works best, then why in hell even ask a question to begin with.

Lots of things were found wrong on these bikes that the manual didn't mention. True riders and shop workers over the years found the solutions and are passing them on to others.

I guess some people will never learn.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
My god......I give up.

If you people don't what the advice from well documented experienced riders and shops that have years of experience and already have been through the trials and testing, found the problems and come up with what works best, then why in hell even ask a question to begin with.

Lots of things were found wrong on these bikes that the manual didn't mention. True riders and shop workers over the years found the solutions and are passing them on to others.

I guess some people will never learn.
LMAO!!:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Blue,
I never meant to insult you or waste your time or not take your advise to heart. I'm new to the 800 scene and I'm just trying to make the best decision that I can base on the responses and information that I get.

I had been given bad advice in the past (78 cb750K rebuild) from experienced riders and owners.

I will admit most of the good advice came from experienced riders and owners like youself and others.

I do appeciate the time and effort that people make when they take the time to answer stupid questions from Newbies like myself.:-D

And some of us will learn....may be the hard way.... but we will learn.:mrgreen:

John

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I repalce the front sprocket should I replace the chain and rear sprocket.

Some on this forum and other forums are saying that you can get away with just replacing the front sprocket only.

The bike has roughly 18,000km (11,000 mi) and as far as I can tell the parts are stock.

When I rebuilt my 78 cb750K I replaced both sprockets and chain.

Thanks

·
20,826 Posts
I always recommend changing them as a set, not just a chain, or a sprocket, as all 3 wear together.

I still think its a bad idea to overtorque parts by 60 ft lbs.

But hey its your bike.

I am just a mechanic, so WTF could I possibly know.

I think I will go and add another 60 lbs of torque to the head bolts on the engine rebuild i am doing today........It must be a good thing to over tighten stuff according to this thread.........sigh

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.