Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get a different tire other than the OEM Bridgestone that comes with the bike, but there are not alot of other companies the make a rear tire for the bike, has anyone tried a larger radial tire on this bike??

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Metzler 880's! Step up one size from stock 170 to 180. Works great! Great handling tire & trues up your speedometer too! :biggrin: 8)

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Uhh, oh yeah, pardon my manners! :oops:

Welcome mate!! Wanna post up some pics of your scoot?!!
Ride safe! :biggrin: 8)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
+1 to both.

Dunlop E3 180/70-16... got 10k on them now, tread at 4mm.
Stockers were down to 3mm at 7k.
Radial E3 on the back, bias E3 MT90B16 on the front.

If you want to go to Wide Whites, you're stuck... nothing larger than a 150/80-16 available.

·
Drink Plenty of Water
784 Posts
Welcome Vulcan 1600! I have been doing some tire shopping for my Nomad as well. I have 150/80/16 front and 170/70/16 on rear. Both stock Bridgestone Exedras. I have been researching this for about 6 weeks and I still dont know which way to go.

I've got 8k on the tires and the rear needs replacing now. The front might go a couple more thousand miles but I'm thinking replace them both now. The bike had 3400 miles on it when I bought it and I dont know if those were hard miles or what. Also the tires were not at 40 psi front and back, which from what I understand, will help the tires last.

Ive read all the reviews I could find here, but riding style, road conditions, and inflation pressure are sure to be different. I figure 8k is pretty good on any tire so I'm thinking of just sticking with the Stones for the money, and putting this decision behind me. Maybe I will try something else next time. Depends on how they hold up for me as I will be the one putting all the miles on them this time.

Good luck with your search and decision! :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can I do the same for a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 A-6 ? I want to move up one size on tires if possible

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also went to the Dunlop Elite 3 (180/70-16) So far it seems to be a gr8 tyre. Speedo is now spot-on. Just remains to be seen on the mileage, but from all reports from other guys, I'm optimistic. Couldn't be worse than the B/stone!

Cheers,
Boyd

·
Registered
357 Posts
May I sugest Bridgestone?

I hit 10.000 miles on my 1600 today. The stock tires are ready to change. I have another set of stock bridgestones in the garage. I think these stock tires actually wore pretty good. No cupping-- I feel pretty secure dragging the floorboard. Honestly I think they are decent tires. IMHO

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
I run ME 880 180/70 HR 16. This tire was made for the Valk and VTX 1800. It has been a superior tire in every respect. 17K on the first one, 14K on this one. They cost a little more but have superior grip and wear.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ditto on the Metzeler 880's. I've had a set on my 06 1600 Classic for 3K and couldn't be more pleased. Excellant feel and confidence riding on them. A big improvement over the factory stones, IMHO. Would not hesitate to recommend them. Although, sometime in the future I want to try some Elite 3's.
Buzz

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
I've got 1500 miles on the OEM Bridgestones on my 1600. If I get 10K out of the rear(or there abouts) I will get another Bridgestone. I put ME880's on my 1500(former bike) when I replaced the OEM's and they were good, but not crazy good like some people on the forum would have you believe. I'm thinking that by the time I wear 2 rear Bridgestones out, the front will be worn out, then I will go with the Dunlop Elite 3's. At least thats my plan right now, unless the Bridgestones continue to impress, in which case I will keep running them, they are very inexpensive compared to metz or dunlop.

·
Registered
864 Posts
+1 on the EIII's, ran them all summer, great tire, bias front, radial rear, best thing I ever done to the bike. Also look at Avon Cobras, also a outstanding tire. My dad's got 15,000 on a EIII on front of his G/W trike and it isn't halfway worn yet! BB

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I'm thinking that by the time I wear 2 rear Bridgestones out, the front will be worn out, then I will go with the Dunlop Elite 3's. At least thats my plan right now, unless the Bridgestones continue to impress, in which case I will keep running them, they are very inexpensive compared to metz or dunlop.
When I went to the E3 on the rear, my front was in good shape. I figured I'd offer it up to a friend if they needed it, but after switching tires, my feeling was that I could not in good conscience GIVE that front tire to anyone.
Off-tracking on grooves in the road was cut in half, and the handling was greatly improved. I don't know how much of that came from the radial construction on the rear and how much came from the tread pattern on the E3, but I love them.
I've got about 22k on that first E3 front and it still has just over 2mm left (service limit is 1mm).

My only issue with the E3 radial rear is feathering or light cupping, which causes some noise in the turns, but doesn't seem to impact handling and the ride is still silky smooth. I think it's just a fact of life with a radial, and I put 14k on that first one and still had a couple of k left in it (it was just hitting 3mm, but I was prepping for Zion in May and the July trip to Red Lodge).

My next tire will be a 150/80-16 bias Avon Venom WWW, since the front will be due by the time I put another 6k on the rear.

·
Registered
621 Posts
When I went to the E3 on the rear, my front was in good shape. I figured I'd offer it up to a friend if they needed it, but after switching tires, my feeling was that I could not in good conscience GIVE that front tire to anyone.
Off-tracking on grooves in the road was cut in half, and the handling was greatly improved. I don't know how much of that came from the radial construction on the rear and how much came from the tread pattern on the E3, but I love them.
I've got about 22k on that first E3 front and it still has just over 2mm left (service limit is 1mm).

My only issue with the E3 radial rear is feathering or light cupping, which causes some noise in the turns, but doesn't seem to impact handling and the ride is still silky smooth. I think it's just a fact of life with a radial, and I put 14k on that first one and still had a couple of k left in it (it was just hitting 3mm, but I was prepping for Zion in May and the July trip to Red Lodge).

My next tire will be a 150/80-16 bias Avon Venom WWW, since the front will be due by the time I put another 6k on the rear.

Rich, I thought you went to the Dark Side?
As you know I sold my 900 before I could put a CT on it. This New Nomad, I'm sure when I'm ready I will try a CT.
Rich, one other thing, I have tried to search for anything on the Nomad and seem to get every bike on the forum, can you set me straight?
Thanks

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Nahh... If I had a V2K or a 900, I would be running a CT, but I just don't like the fitment for the 1600 rim.
The wheel is really too narrow for a 195, much less a 205, and the availability in the 195 is so limited that it's hard to find something with a comparable height to the 180/70, and many who have tried have been forced to go with "what fits" rather than the best tire for the application.
One of the recent attempts on the 1600 was with what really amounted to an SUV tire with a recommended inflation of 60psi.

The smaller sizes/higher profiles we need just aren't available for the 16" rim.

My next set will probably be Avon Venom in WWW.

I've done a lot of research on it and don't agree with the naysayers, but there are some bikes where there just aren't any good options.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
+1 My 1500 is living proof....at least for me. Those bikes that have 15 inch rims or rims wider that 3.5 or 4 inches have more options when it comes to CTs.

As for brands, Metz is always a good choice. I'm going back to OEM stones on mine this time. I got about 12k out of the rear on my original one and have not found any that were significantly better for mileage. *Your results may vary

·
Registered
621 Posts
Nahh... If I had a V2K or a 900, I would be running a CT, but I just don't like the fitment for the 1600 rim.
The wheel is really too narrow for a 195, much less a 205, and the availability in the 195 is so limited that it's hard to find something with a comparable height to the 180/70, and many who have tried have been forced to go with "what fits" rather than the best tire for the application.
One of the recent attempts on the 1600 was with what really amounted to an SUV tire with a recommended inflation of 60psi.

The smaller sizes/higher profiles we need just aren't available for the 16" rim.

My next set will probably be Avon Venom in WWW.

I've done a lot of research on it and don't agree with the naysayers, but there are some bikes where there just aren't any good options.
Rich, so the CT is out eh?
Well that just makes me very angry. I thought the Nomad would handle a CT over any other kawi line up.
That means the rim is like the 900, it was 4.5 inches wide.(is that correct?)

I have heard that the speedo is off on the Nomad, what size of tire will correct this problem?
Thanks man, you are always a big help.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Speedo is part of the problem, but easily corrected.
All metric cruisers are off on speed by about 10%, and the odometer by about 5%.
Going from the stock 170/70-16 to a 180/70-16 corrects about half of that error, but the speedo healer is needed to bring it in.

The two problems with the car tire are the wheel width and tire diameter.
Stock 170/70-16 is about 25.3" diameter.
180/70-16 is about 26"
150/80-16 (stock for 1500 Nomad) is 25.25"
160/80-16 (common upgrade for the 1500 Nomad) is 26.1"

A 195/55-16, by comparison, is only 24.4" diameter, and compared to a 180/70-16, it will increase speedo error by an ADDITIONAL 7%.
Again, the Speedo Healer can correct that, but you're also increasing highway RPM by 7%.

More importantly, Vulcans are not known for good ground clearance... not only cornering dragging the floorboards, but also hitting the case on speed bumps. Putting a 195/55-16 is going to drop the bike nearly 1/2" over stock, and 3/4" from the common 180 or 160 replacements.

The 900 doesn't have the same problems because there is a HUGE selection of car tires that will work well with the 900's 15" rim.
The 16" rim? It's hard to find a tire narrower than 205, and even harder to find one that's not a 40-55 profile.

Like I said.. if Goodyear made a 185/70-16 or 175/75-16 in a Tripletread, I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Stock 170/70-16 is about 25.3" diameter
160/80-16 (common upgrade for the 1500 Nomad) is 26.1"

So does this mean that the 160/80-16 would make the speedo almost dead on?
I am concerned when it comes to speed, I can't afford the tickets or insurance hike.
Thanks Rich

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The speedo reads higher than actual, so rather than getting tickets, you become a hood ornament ;)

The 160/80 and 180/70 are about the same and will correct about half of the factory error, but a SpeedoHealer is only about $100 and can correct it dead-on (which will leave your odometer running about 5% slow).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts