Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I'm looking for at least a rear tire, maybe both (if different brand than what I have now), but the front tire seems to have lots of life left. I currently have the Bridgestone Exedra that came with the bike (Nomad). I've had dealers tell me to stick with the Bridgestones, others tell me to go with Metzelers ME880 and I saw on an older post here that someone recommended the Michelin Commanders. Anyone got a suggestion?
Also what is the difference between electronic balancing and mechanical balancing? Is one better than the other? That could make a difference as to where I get the tires from.
Where do you guys shop for tires? Any good online dealers with good prices?

Looking forward to your opinions.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The most expencive doesn't always mean its the best. On your Nomad you shouldn't end up pulling any excecive lean angles (without ripping off some parts hehe). A good set of touring tires will work great for you. Some of the most expencive tires are actually worse on public roads. The reason is that you never get them heated up enough to grip like they do on a race track.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just had a Dunlop D404 installed on the rear of my Nomad. I just couldn't see spending the money for an Avon or Metzler. The Dunlop is performing fine.
I have a question on balancing also. The shop that sold and installed the tire said "line the yellow dot on tire with the valve stem and the tire is balance". I'm not getting any vibration. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tire Balancing

Thanks for the info on balancing. Is one method better than the other though? Also what is the reason they say it's better to have the same brand of tire front and back?
Man, it's beautiful outside, the snow's melting (about 4C or 39F), it smells like spring. Can't wait to get the bike outside, shine it all up and go for a ride.

Oh well, in the meantime I'll just have a wobbly pop and dream about riding season. Makes me wish I lived down south, then it would always be ridin' season. :grin:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I have front and rear Metzler 880's waiting to be put on. Have other projects going for now so will not be able to offer an opinion just yet. I think if you buy Dunlop...Michelin...or Metzler...you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
283 Posts
ranjan said:
I just had a Dunlop D404 installed on the rear of my Nomad. I just couldn't see spending the money for an Avon or Metzler. The Dunlop is performing fine.
I have a question on balancing also. The shop that sold and installed the tire said "line the yellow dot on tire with the valve stem and the tire is balance". I'm not getting any vibration. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Thanks
I put a set of Dunlop 404's on my Vulcan 1500 Classic. I had the stock Bridgestone Excedras with about 3mm tread left, but the bike would not handle well with ruts in the road. The 404's handle very well and were half the price of Metzlers.

I did not have any yellow dots on the tires, but have not had any vibration from out of balance conditions.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hey Grunt,
I'll be putting a set of new tires on my 1500 this spring as well and will be looking at those Dunlops. I've heard that they are very cost efficient and hold up well. Did you by any chance consider the whitewalls? I'm considering equiping my Vulcan with these after seeing a set on my neighbors VTX retro. They look pretty cool. Not sure if they'll make the bike go any faster though, white might be a slower color:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
****wol,

I got the Dunlops for 1/2 the price of Metzlers and am very happy with them.

They do not come in WW's.

I had WW's on some of my older cars and they were a pita to clean. Have saddle bags on the rear of the bike and would have to remove them to clean the WW's.

I like to keep the bike in show condition and don't need the pita to keep the WW's clean.

Without saddle bags and old tires.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Fully Dressed

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes, I keep my 1500 in immaculate condition as well but think I'll go ahead and put those WW on anyway in spite of the extra cleaning effort. I like your bags. I've been narrowing down my search and will be purchasing some in the next couple of weeks. Did you get those bags from this site? They look very similar to what is offered here.
You have a very nice bike. You plan on replacing those stock pipes? I think you'd be very happy if you did. http://www.leatherconnexion.com/index.htm

·
Registered
283 Posts
I got the bags at a swap meet. They do look similar to what I've seen on this site.

What you see on the bike is Cobra Classic pipes. Loud enough to make a statement and sound mean, but you can ride all day without your ears ringing. Has K&N filter and Dynojet rejetting.

My 98 Camaro SS has a wide open Borla exhaust. Your ears ring after a 1/4 mile run.

The truck is all stock.

As you can see, I don't have time to keep WW's clean.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Very nice wheels, all around!! At first glance those Cobra's looked like the stock pipes. I wasn't into having my ears getting beat up either so I put those quiet baffles in my V+H's. Just the right sound now.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Friend of mine who has put on over 74K on his 1500 Classic and has run Bridgestone, Metzler, and Dunlop says....Dunlop, I believe they were model 421. Said he gets almost 20K miles on a set. I am running on my 2nd set of Bridgestones, which have performed very well but only got 13K. My next will be Dunlop.

·
Registered
447 Posts
ranjan said:
Thanks
I wouldn't trust just aligning the marks, we did that and my wheel was still unbalanced. I will always balance my tires!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nadmeister said:
Thanks for the info on balancing. Is one method better than the other though? Also what is the reason they say it's better to have the same brand of tire front and back?
All my racing friends always balance their own tires by hand, in other words by placing the wheel on a balancing stand and adding or removing weights until the wheel is balanced. They recommend staying away from electronic balancing and that's why I always get my tires balanced by hand.

Most manufacturers will design the tires as a set, with the front and rear complementing each other. So I would always try to get the same brand and model on both front and rear.

Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Ranjan wrote:
The shop that sold and installed the tire said "line the yellow dot on tire with the valve stem and the tire is balance
Uh, I would run from that shop right now!! :shock: While the yellow dot means to align this point with the valve stem, it does NOT mean the tire is in balance whatsoever!! The assembly must be balanced after the tire has been mounted to the rim. Any shop stating this falsehood should be avoided. If you have no vibes, consider yourself lucky, but I would still want my assembly checked on a balancer, static or dynamic.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Here is what Dunlop reccomends,

Wheel Balance

It is essential tire/wheel assemblies be balanced before use and rebalanced each time the tire is removed or replaced. Unbalanced tire/wheel assemblies can vibrate at certain speeds, and tire wear will be greatly accelerated.

All Dunlop street tires should be installed with the yellow balance dot at the valve. Wheels may be balanced with spoke nipple weights, lead wire or self-adhesive rim weights. Consult the motorcycle manufacturer for approved wheel weights.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of dry or liquid balancers/sealers and will not warrant tires into which these materials have been injected. Tire and wheel assembly balance must be checked with a balance stand or computer wheel balancer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts