Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I "FINALLY" got all of the tire changing equipment sitting in the garage and a new rear Metzler tire. Of course there is 3-5 inches of snow on the ground so no riding for now. Also, my wifes Super Beetle is sitting in the garage sharing space with the V2K so I can't setup the equipment to do the work due to space constraints. Oh well...it's fun to look at it all waiting to be used. :)

Here's what I bought to do the work:

1. Harbor Freight motorcycle tire changer attachment
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

2. Habor Freight portable tire changer
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

3. No-Mar mount/demount Bar & free spray lube & paste & extra tips
::No-Mar:: Scratchproof Motorcycle Tire Changer : Static Wheel Balancer and Tire Spoon by No Mar

4. Marc Parnes wheel balancer
Kawasaki Motorcycle Wheel Balancer

5. New Metzler rear tire

Once I can get to doing the work I intend to video the process as this is on my V2K and it may be helpful to others who have been thinking of doing this also. I can't commit to a time frame yet but when I get it done I'll do a follow up and post the video for reference.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

P.S. Check out the online "How-To" videos at the No-Mar website. Good stuff!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Good luck. I used to change tires when I worked at a motorcycle shop years ago. Got good and tired of it so I just take mine to the dealer and pay them. It's not a real hard chore and the equipment you have will make it much easier.

Have a great weekend!

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck. I used to change tires when I worked at a motorcycle shop years ago. Got good and tired of it so I just take mine to the dealer and pay them. It's not a real hard chore and the equipment you have will make it much easier.

Have a great weekend!
I'll bet it got tiring doing that work all the time. I wouldn't want to do it.

I don't mind being able to do it for myself as it will also lend an opportunity to look at other parts of the bike when the rear wheel is off. I enjoy tinkering so that fits what I enjoy doing working on the bike.

Any suggestions before I dive into tire removal/replacement?

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Very cool, Cary!

Gonna have all your buddy's over to use the tire machine soon ... by the way if I bring the chips and drinks will you show me how to mount my new tire :mrgreen:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool, Cary!

Gonna have all your buddy's over to use the tire machine soon ... by the way if I bring the chips and drinks will you show me how to mount my new tire :mrgreen:
You betch'a Mr Goodwrench! I'm hoping to video all of us taking turns busting our knuckles while rolling rubber onto rims. LOL :)

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Hmmm, maybe I should bring bandaids and splints instead? :wink:

That is one tool I haven't picked up yet, that I want. Think I will make my own balancing tool though, but all of it will have to wait for next summer :biggrin:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, maybe I should bring bandaids and splints instead? :wink:

That is one tool I haven't picked up yet, that I want. Think I will make my own balancing tool though, but all of it will have to wait for next summer :biggrin:
LOL...:)

I'm sure we'd need first and second aid after we're done! :)

Ahhhh!!!!! I forgot to add the balancer that I bought!? I'll go add it to the list. I bought a nice one from Marc Parnes. It's well made. It's only the steel shaft and cones with bearing on the ends and you supply the platform to sit it on. It takes up less room then one built on a stand but is of high quality. DOH!!! I'd forget my head if it weren't attached!!! :)

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Neat Cary Santa comes early...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Any suggestions before I dive into tire removal/replacement?
Soapy water in a bucket. Use it around the beads on both sides to help unseat and seat the tire. Do you have any hand-held tire tools? They make it easier if you have a stubborn tire but you can carefully use a couple of long flat-blade screw drivers wrapped with some tape on the ends if needed. Also, make sure you air the tires up and seat both beads of the tire when going back on with a new one.

If the tires came wrapped in plastic, cut it off a couple of days before you are to mount them and let them relax and regain their shape.

Good luck!

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Thanks for posting the info on the balancer, Cary. I watched the bike shop use that same system when putting my unmentionable rear tire on the V2K. They are actually easy to use and my bike rides smooth.

Buying this will probably be cheaper then building my own.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soapy water in a bucket. Use it around the beads on both sides to help unseat and seat the tire. Do you have any hand-held tire tools? They make it easier if you have a stubborn tire but you can carefully use a couple of long flat-blade screw drivers wrapped with some tape on the ends if needed. Also, make sure you air the tires up and seat both beads of the tire when going back on with a new one.

If the tires came wrapped in plastic, cut it off a couple of days before you are to mount them and let them relax and regain their shape.

Good luck!
Great points and thanks for posting them!

I don't have the hand tools "YET" but they are on my list. I think Santa is bringing them as stocking stuffers. :)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Looks like a good setup man! I kinda don't want a garage anymore due to how much money I might spend setting it up how I want it :D

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for posting the info on the balancer, Cary. I watched the bike shop use that same system when putting my unmentionable rear tire on the V2K. They are actually easy to use and my bike rides smooth.

Buying this will probably be cheaper then building my own.
Your welcome!

Somehow I can see you wanting to build your own since you have the tools to do it and the skills...BUT...his is reasonably priced "for me" so it's one less thing to deal with having it pre-built. I also picked up sticky weights when it's time to balance the wheel.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Did you find those (sticky weights) locally or have to order them?

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I'm looking to gear up with the same stuff. I was looking on EBAY and found a similar balancer for $70.

There is also a whole kit from the No-Mar company with a tire changer, bar, balancer, etc., for the low-low price of $800! ouch

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like a good setup man! I kinda don't want a garage anymore due to how much money I might spend setting it up how I want it :D
I hear ya. It can get expensive quick when you dwell on and act on things you want to buy. I'm sure I need all of this stuff! :)

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you find those (sticky weights) locally or have to order them?
I ordered them along with the balancer. You can get them from Marc or from the No-Mar website as well as other places online.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm looking to gear up with the same stuff. I was looking on EBAY and found a similar balancer for $70.

There is also a whole kit from the No-Mar company with a tire changer, bar, balancer, etc., for the low-low price of $800! ouch
I was looking on eBay too but at the time not much was available so I went with Marc's balancer.

Shawn...if you look at the No-Mar site they sell an entry level setup for around $595.00. Of course you might want/need additional items which would raise the cost.

Product Listing No-Mar Tire Changer

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I was looking on eBay too but at the time not much was available so I went with Marc's balancer.

Shawn...if you look at the No-Mar site they sell an entry level setup for around $595.00. Of course you might want/need additional items which would raise the cost.

Product Listing No-Mar Tire Changer
Yeah, I just spent about an hour looking at the video's on their site. Lots of good info there. They show the 3 different models side by side.

The setup on EBAY was a whole kit, included all the goodies, with the balancer and the extra hands clamps, etc. I'm not certain which machine it was though. I just went back on there looking for it, and its gone, so someone must have snagged it.

For my needs, I think the Harbor Freight version will do the trick. I'll probably use the thing twice a year at most. Hopefully a lot less once I go darkside.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts