Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since I've owned my vulcan, I've always had problems with tire cupping, expecially on the rear. It happens worst on long 2-up trips with the bike loaded down. I run 45 pounds of pressure for trips like that, and I know we're probably a bit over the load rate.

This has happened with my original stones as well as with Michelins and Dunlops which I've tried. I've recently installed a set of avons which are load rated a little higher to see if that makes a difference. I've taken one long trip so far and they are holding up ok, but I've only got about 2k miles on them.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with rear tires and figured out any way to avoid them? it's one of several reasons that I'd love to put a car tire on, but they won't fit my 1500 classic, unfortunately.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think that stiffer/ stronger shocks would lessen the spread of the tire. The weight is still the same, but distributed differently.

And why are you starting threads on m/c related questions?

We're getting off track from more important things like Jello, and tats, and floorboard fringe. :mrgreen: :wink:
Well, I do need new shocks on the bike after 50,000 miles, but it had the same problems when it was at 10,000 miles too. We'll see if any other experts chime in with words of wisdom. I guess to get people to read I should have included "Naked" in the title or something! :D

...and yes, I DO have motorcycle thoughts every now and then! :mrgreen:

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Dave, The amount and degree of tire cupping is directly related to where the bike is ridden in this hemisphere. The closer to the equator you are, the less cupping you will observe. You must understand that riding in counter rotation to Earth also has a dramatic impact on tire wear. The theory is that the curvature of the moon and radius of the Earth is directly related to the degree of wear on the tire due to the gravitational pull. In order to slow this process down and equalize the wear an extremely long trip towards the equator will help greatly.

Hope this helped :mrgreen:

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Dave, The amount and degree of tire cupping is directly related to where the bike is ridden in this hemisphere. The closer to the equator you are, the less cupping you will observe. You must understand that riding in counter rotation to Earth also has a dramatic impact on tire wear. The theory is that the curvature of the moon and radius of the Earth is directly related to the degree of wear on the tire due to the gravitational pull. In order to slow this process down and equalize the wear an extremely long trip towards the equator will help greatly.

Hope this helped :mrgreen:
I'll bet you listen to "Coast to Coast" a lot don't you. ;)

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Isn't that a program hosted by Space Ghost?

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I can't believe you guys have never heard Coast to Coast with Art Bell and George Noory. COAST TO COAST AM WITH GEORGE NOORY

They can explain tire cupping or anything else you want to know about. ;)

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Never heard of it!

I did a search on the site for tire cupping. Nothing came up. :(

There was a link to hot anna kournikova pictures though. :)
You may have to submit your question. I'm sure some of the alien-illuminitae mind controlling vapor trail corporations/government types are behind it. After all it couldn't have anything to do with like physics or anything.;)

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I know on cars tire cupping is caused by poor shocks. Never experianced cupping on any of my bikes.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
What is Coast to Coast? Seriously ... never heard of it.
COAST TO COAST AM WITH GEORGE NOORY

Art Bell went off the air maybe 10 years ago, supposedly his wife was raped and his daughter threatened.
He came back a few years back, but ultimately turned the weekday shows over to George, while he still covered the weekend shows.
Now it seems that he's given up the weekends as well and turned them over to a different host.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I've heard Art Bell a few night recently. He isn't totally gone but George Noory is primary now from what I can tell.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Anyways, back on topic...

I've read that some cupping is normal. I believe the explanation was that it is due to the curvature of the tread and the way the tread flexes when coming into contact with the road. This would make sense, since underinflation (or even factory inflation) and/or overloading will cause it to happen more quickly.

My stockers were not cupped badly, but I didn't start riding 2-up until shortly before I replaced them. The E3s look pretty bad, but tread depth is still just shy of 5mm after about 9,000 miles.... the stockers were down to 3mm at 7,500.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts