Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(bike's in the sig)

got my new tires mounted and balanced today, pirelli sport demons in the stock sizes, at a local shop i was hoping to be able to post good things about... but...

in riding the bike home from the shop, at around 40mph+, i noticed the bike has a very distinct wobble in the front end now, kind of a shimmy from side to side. it's not enough to make me lose control of the bike, and it lessens under heavy braking/turning, but it worries me, because it was not doing that when i took the bike in, and doesn't feel right.

i think the tire isn't set on the bead properly, cause when i look down at the left side of the tire rolling about 25 mph, the egde of the tire tread moves slightly up and down, about 3/16 of an inch from center, but the rim doesn't move in relation to it. the right hand side doesn't do this. could it also be that the tire just isn't round?

also, would the rear wheel being out of alignment, causing a slight side-step/dog-track (or what ever you'd like to call it when the rear doesn't track directly behind the front)also cause the above mentioned shimmy?
(i will be re-aligning the wheel myself tomorrow.)

the shop i took it to doesn't open again untill tuesday, i would have taken it back right after i took it home, but they closed as i left. i'd like to see what i might do to fix it myself, as i don't trust any other shops in town, but i will be taking it back to that shop and explaining this to them. the bike is rideable, but it doesn't feel right. it is my only mode of transportation, other than feet and a bicycle, so i need it fixed soon!

also, on a side note, the one that makes me mad, the mechanic that did all the work took it for a test drive, as they do, to check it over. the part that makes me mad, is that he said nothing about the shimmy. granted he didn't ride it before he started working on it, but he should have felt the wobble and known something wasn't right.

sorry for the long post, but i'm frustrated, mad, and in need of help. thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My guess would be bad balance job. Take it back, make sure they zero out and calibrate the balancer, and have them do it again. Free of charge of course. That's nothing to mess with. I'd be pissed too, but you'll get more flies with honey. Good luck.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
When reading your post and before I read Ken's, I thought that you needed to have your tires rebalanced.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wouldn't a balance problm cause it to hop tho, and not wobble side to side?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Any balance problems I've had caused wobble and vibration. I've never experienced a hop, but maybe others have that could chime in here.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It could be any number of things. The moron may have bent the rim, not tightened the axle bolts to spec, out of balance, didn't put the heavy spot on the tire in the right place, put the tire on backwards so it rotates the wrong way, etc.

I would try to not ride it or mess with it until you can take it back. Some of these things you can check easily, some you can't. In any case riding it could be dangerous or at the least put some bad wear on the tire that may require replacing the tire to get it properly mounted.

Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll look into the balance issue, since i don't know much about the physics of a motorcycle as far as mysterious wobbles go, i won't rule anything out.

also, in looking at the wheel weights, i noticed that on the left side of the rim, they have a weight at cira 90 degrees to the marked heavy spot of the tire, and on the right side, anothe weight, still apbout 90 degrees away form the heavy spot,, but exactly opposite the weight on the left side. maybe i'm used to car tire balancing, but you don't balance a wheel like that!

the variation in the edge tread still bugs me too, but i'll look into balance first.

i just need to learn to do this stuff myself.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TIRES

Yeah they will hop if they are out of ballance! If the rim is bent, or even if the tire is just barely off and not seated properly. If you still have a centerstand plop something heavy on the back of the seat and turn the wheel. It should spin freely n adnot wobble and the tire should be exactly the same width an dtread should be exactly the same distanc away from a pencil or wahtever held closely to the tire anywhere. It should always stop in a dirrerent position and if it doesn't, and stops in the same place every time you KNOW that the balance is off. Check the axle bolts and nuts for proper torque, and log what you have or leave it and write it down and then when they do it at theshop have the Service manager present to measure it and check out the tires and wheels...Keep your receipts, and documentation!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, gonna spin the wheel and see what happens, check torque specs, possibly take the wheel off to check for proper balance. i don't plan on riding it any farther than to take it back to the shop, about 4 miles away on tuesday. i will be having them check it over, and i will watch. i've done many car tires, and i know a motorcycle tire isn't that much different.

i just need to do this stuff by myself from now on -.-

thanks for your help so far everyone.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GOOD!

Let us know what you find and then what they do...keep us informed...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok.... someone's getting yelled at when i go back. a friend of mine came over to help, and as we were checking it over, i noticed one of the brake caliper bolts on the fork was fairly rounded on the corners of the head.

my friend took it for a spin, and he said that it was definitely an alignment issue of some sort, and not necesarily a balance issue, tho not to rule anything out.

anyways, i'm not touching it as far as wrenchwise goes. i called theplace that owns that shop and left a message informing them that we have an issue, and monday i'm swinging by the place that owns the shop i took it to, to inform them of the problem. on tuesday, i will be taking my bike to the shop that actually did the work, and let them look it over, with me watching with service manual in hand. i will go from there, and i will let you all know what happens.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Documentation & Pictures!

Not only write a Letter, make a detailed list of what you found and what you are experiencing...take pictures with a film camera as well as a digital. You can use the digital to make copies for them on a floppy, and if they acuse you of altering (fat chance) you will have film with frof as well. Be nice, and don't lose your cool...Chill a moment and see if you can find the SPORT RIDER April, 2004 and go to page 88...Consumers Rule, by Marc Cook. Specifically it refers to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. www.sportrider.com
IF you can't find it let me know and I will have my wife fax it from the Law Office of Charles F. Lay, Atty. Karen is his Legal Secretary, notary....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i plan on being calm about it... i think it was just a case of the "last day at work" syndrome. i'm sure it'll get worked out. just a little hot over the bolt we found is all.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
rednek426//Main Lobby

I just posted in the Main Lobby and used your name as well as mine...I'm really upset. Seems we just had this darn topic...and chatted rathere in depth...and once again the situation raises it's ugly head! If things aren't done right then htere should be a shop looking for not only a mechanic but the guy in charge. IF he can't have a bike put out the door that he personally would ride then he shouldn't expect it to leave the shop till it was taken care of properly. Even if the Mechanic made a mistake he should have ordered and installed the part new out of stock and not charged for it and told his boss what happened. I'm just really upset...as much as you are. YOu shouldn't have to stand ther or have to reinspect the work of a certified mechanic and not trust the shop to do a Perfect Job everytime, all the time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
one more reason for me to do it myself... i have the knowlege to do it, just at this point in time the lack of tools.

i should have been scared when i heard an impact wrench.

tomorrow i will be talking with the owners, informing them of the situation, hopefully it will be resolved then.

·
Registered
456 Posts
rednek426 said:
one more reason for me to do it myself...
Now you're talking. Nobody loves your bike as much as you do. You might be an average mechanic and have so-so tools, but you're not going to slap it together in a hurry or take shortcuts just because it's almost 5:00. Other than alignments and tires, I've had a car in the shop only once in 15 years -- and that was when I needed a transmission replaced while I was out of town. Everything else I've done myself, including swapping an engine, rebuilding an engine, swapping a couple of transmissions, and tons of lesser stuff. And I've never had the bike in a shop, and I doubt I ever will.

There are plenty of great mechanics that work in shops. The problem is that there are some real losers thrown into the mix. You rarely know ahead of time which guy will be working on your bike. Even great mechanics make mistakes sometimes. But if I make my own mistakes, I call it a learning experience and I don't get mad at anyone.

I really enjoy doing my own "wrenching." It's so easy on a bike compared to a car. And labor is where the big money is on most repairs, so if you can do the labor yourself, you can really cut your repair bills.
Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
CURT wrenching

Curt, is the rany way that you would consider moving to the Flagstaff, or perhaps Sierra Vista AZ, Area? I figure by the time you get set up I should be moving down there...

·
Registered
458 Posts
You wouldn't need one in Flagstaff. It gets well below zero in the winter. Kinda like Minnesota, but not quite as cold. Only 20 below. :wink:

Forgot to say...but it's dry cold. :lol:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Airconditioners

Heck yes! You take the little screws out of the windscreen and save everything for later. I guess if you wanted one made out of Stainless steel it could be arranged. HMMM! Perhaps a great GAG Gift for Christmas or a birthday...a windSCREEN... Pureed, bugs, like eating baby food, strained and right to the source...Yum!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts