Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up a finishing nail in my tire today and talked to my bike shop they said the could patch it.my concern is.is this safe?and how long would it really last? ide appreciate any input im new and dont really know about this.thank you

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
+ heaps.
I have had one blowout in over 30 years riding. ( Had "flats" but only one "big bang" )
I pray that never happens again - ever!!!!
Save up for a new tyre , mate.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
i picked up a finishing nail in my tire today and talked to my bike shop they said the could patch it.my concern is.is this safe?and how long would it really last? ide appreciate any input im new and dont really know about this.thank you
If the puncture is in the center area of the tread, a PROPERLY INSTALLED tire plug is safe (they put them in car tires every day). If the puncture is in or near the sidewall, it can not be plugged safely.

If it was mine, I'd tell them to just install a tube in it.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
hard to believe you found a shop that would patch a tire. none of the ones I have worked in would patch, plug or otherwise reseal a tire for a customer for liability reasons.

for my bike, I use plug patches.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
hard to believe you found a shop that would patch a tire. none of the ones I have worked in would patch, plug or otherwise reseal a tire for a customer for liability reasons.

for my bike, I use plug patches.
If you buy the "lifetime puncture warranty" on new tires for your car, they will plug them until the cows come home (as long as they are not in the sidewall).

On my bike, they don't plug them they install a new inner tube.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
A friend rode over a roofing nail smack dab in the center of the tread and had a plug put in his. He rode out the rest of the season, about 2 months. I think he's going to replace it before spring.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
If it's in the sidewall then get a new tire. If it's in the tread, and there is a lot of tread left on the tire, I'd put a patch on the inside then have a tube put in. If the tire has a lot of wear then just replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry i should have given all the details its a tubeless tire and they have got about 300 miles on them.6 days old.the hole is dead center inside one of the treads.roughly the size of a thumbtack.its a very tiny hole but leaks roughly 2 lbs an hour out the tire.my dealer said they could take the tire off and patch from the inside for 50 bucks

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
google plug patch and tell them that is what you want used on your bike. best of both worlds.

here is a picture of one.

this is the same style my mechanic uses on his bike. ;)

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
You did not hear this from elr. A "Thumbtack Patch" properly applied is a correct repair. BUT it is time consuming to fix them correctly. You remove and dismount the tire, rough up the inside, pre glue the tire, install the patch, remount and rebalance the tire. It drops to an S speed rating (second gear on my 1325cc KZ1000) NOBODY is willing to pay a professional to do a PROPER repair. NO shop is willing to expose themselves to that liability. I do it on my own bike. You'll see Jesus before I do it to a customer's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It drops to an S speed rating (second gear on my 1325cc KZ1000)
that`s almost the top speed on my bike :p

i only had a tire repaired once, was just scrubbed in and it was in the center and it was done by a buddy of mine who owns a shop and i totally trust

if i didn`t know and/or couldn`t trust the person who does it i would not do it and if i had a big bike like elr658 i wouldn`t do it anyway, it`s just not worth the risk

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
You did not hear this from elr. A "Thumbtack Patch" properly applied is a correct repair. BUT it is time consuming to fix them correctly. You remove and dismount the tire, rough up the inside, pre glue the tire, install the patch, remount and rebalance the tire. It drops to an S speed rating (second gear on my 1325cc KZ1000) NOBODY is willing to pay a professional to do a PROPER repair. NO shop is willing to expose themselves to that liability. I do it on my own bike. You'll see Jesus before I do it to a customer's.
that is the way I do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts