Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just measured the pressure in the rear tire before going for a ride, and it was so low the gauge coulndnt read it. I hope it wasnt this bad the whole time i've had it, cuz i've gone pretty fast on it. Could sitting outside in sub zero temperatures have caused the air to leak out? Btw, it's an 88 zx600r

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
.... are you sure your gauge is working? If there was that little pressure, i would think you could physically see the tire being flat.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
On a bike from 88 I imagine the rims could have all sorts of ways to lose air. Soapy water works well to find where the air's coming from if you're sure it's not the tire.

I lose about 5-10 pounds a month in the summer. This is why I prop both wheels off the ground when I store it, as in the spring my pressure is usually around 15-20 psi.

And yeah, you shouldn't need a tire gauge to tell you your tire is at 0 psi?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Or a harley... a tire that flat must be in the 200-240 range ;)

·
03 ZX-12R
609 Posts
Time and outside temperature effect the pressure within your tires. It is NORMAL for a tire to lose about 1 pound per square inch (psi) per month. Outside temperatures affect your tire pressure far more profoundly, however. A tire's pressure can change by 1 psi for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit of temperature change. As temperature goes, so goes pressure.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
cold air will cause a tire to lose pressure over time. even warm air will. I lose 5-10lbs a week in the summer.
that seems awfully steep, i aired up once after i got the bike to my specs, was down 2 lbs in the rear and none in the front come sept. Granted i only went 3500 miles in that time....

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm with Connman, 1-2 PSI per month is about the max...I was losing pressure the way some of you guys are talking on my EX500 for a while...Finally I soaped the rims and found that I had no seal all over the place, was leaking like a sieve. Check your tires folks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm with Connman, 1-2 PSI per month is about the max...I was losing pressure the way some of you guys are talking on my EX500 for a while...Finally I soaped the rims and found that I had no seal all over the place, was leaking like a sieve. Check your tires folks!
+1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts