Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually it's DUMB tire questionS. I'm going to replace the original rear Dunlop on my 900 classic Lt with the Metzeler. So far Bike Bandit has it the cheapest that I have found.

My question is about the tube. The tire itself is described as tubeless whereas the original tire has a tube. Do I need a tube for the Metzeler? There are Metzeler tubes available for that size tire.

There are 2 choices for the tube in the same size. One says 'side valve - straight metal stem' the other is 'standard - straight metal stem'. Which one would I need? Here's the link to the tubes.

Metzeler Motorcycle Tubes - BikeBandit.com

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Actually it's DUMB tire questionS. I'm going to replace the original rear Dunlop on my 900 classic Lt with the Metzeler. So far Bike Bandit has it the cheapest that I have found.

My question is about the tube. The tire itself is described as tubeless whereas the original tire has a tube. Do I need a tube for the Metzeler? There are Metzeler tubes available for that size tire.

There are 2 choices for the tube in the same size. One says 'side valve - straight metal stem' the other is 'standard - straight metal stem'. Which one would I need? Here's the link to the tubes.

Metzeler Motorcycle Tubes - BikeBandit.com

Thanks
Hi,

If you need a tube with a tubeless tire depends on the wheel. If you have an unsealed spoke rim then you will need a tube in the tubeless tire.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Right - so for the classic, with the stock spoked wheels, you need a tube.

It's OK to run a tubeless tire with a tube but not the other way around.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Definitely need tubes and possibly new rim strips:smile:

You will need the straight for the front wheel and the 90 degree for the back.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Check with Motorcycle Superstore. I just got my Pierrli Route 66 and tube from them. They were the best on the tube but I found the tire somewhere else for less. They have a price match deal and if you send them the info they will match it. And I think you get free shipping to boot. I will reuse a tube 1 time if its in good shape. Especially being the first set of Dunlaps on my 900 only went 8000 mi. I currently have over 12K on my Pierrlli's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a flat once so I want to replace the tube. It's not clear to me by the tube descriptions that one will have the 90 which is why I asked about it. I'm at 8200 miles on my bike so looks like I got the average out of the original tire.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Anyone check the date on the good deal tires to see how old they are! I buy batterys for my cars at Wal-mart only because they sell alot of them and the ones on the shelf are fresh.

You buy a good deal tire and shortly after its on the bike it starts to check or dry rot after one season of riding.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Lorenzo: no if it is a tubless tire your in good shape. The Customs use a different size tire in front, so youll have to look around for those as I dont know what they are. I belive the rears are the same on Classic and Customs. I sure wish we had a choice of the mag (tubless tire) wheels for the classic. WE could very easily mount up the rear wheel but finding a front poses more of a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts