Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to replace my tires for my 2000 vulcan 800 classic - it's my first bike ever and so I would like some opinions. I have done some research and seem to like Pirelli MT-66 "Route" or the Metzeler ME880. Any preference between the two or other suggestions? I am really looking for a tire that does not wiggle on grates or follow ridges. I try not to ride in the rain but would like a tire that handles rain exceptionally well (a little scared of the rain...) - any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
I have the MT-66 on my bike and have to say that I am pretty darn happy with them. Great on the wet roads, in a good rain (not had them for a monsoon rain) no problems wandering, etc..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Let me ask - do you mind the big white letters "Route" on the sidewall?

BTW, thank you for your service to our country!

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts
I just put the 880s on my 800, and I love them. The dealership didn't have a 140 rear tire, so I got a 150. It looks great, and feels great. I was on my way to a bike show when I got the new tires put on. So I put 100 miles on her that same day and the ride was smooth. I've put about 2k on them since and I have no complaints.

I don't know about the other tire you suggested, but the tread on the 880s is staggered in a way so that the front tire doesn't follow grooves as much as when I had the stock tires on.

That's my two pennies.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
Which tire has more rubber in the center? (or) Which one lasts longer?
My Dunlap 404's have a tendancy to squirm around on anything, including center lines and even the hint of a groove. Plus it looks like I'll only get 7000-8000 miles out of the rear.

:D
Aif

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
The MT's I was able to get (through Motorcycle Superstore) are all black. I wouldn't have bought white walls or white letters, just don't care for the look.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
I went from the stock tires on my C50T to the Metzeler 880's and the FIRST thing I noticed was that they did NOT track in ruts. I was AMAZED at the difference. I will definitely get Metzelers when the time comes. To be fair though, I have heard a lot of people also liking the Pirelli's, so maybe compare prices on the two and go with the best price???

I've heard that Avon's are a nice, soft riding tire but they wear out kind of quickly, as do the Dunlop's. I would avoid IRC. They're not a terrible tire, but there's better out there, so to me they're not even in the running for replacement tires.

Are you going with stock sizes or +1 size in the rear? And just in case your next question is: "Where is the best place for prices"?..... Shop the Net then contact a shop that's convenient to you. You'd be surprised how competitive the m/c tire market is. Make sure you get the "mounted and OTD price" from the shop. Compare that to the prices on the Net for tires + shipping + mounting + tire disposal, etc etc etc... Lots of times for a matte of a couple bucks diffrerence it's worth the convenience of having your local shop do it vs. the hassle of ordering, waiting, transporting the tires to the shop, and doing all the leg work.

My $.02 and good luck with the shopping,
Daryl

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
FWIW, when I bought the MT's I have (front and rear) about 4 months ago now, I shopped around and at that time no one beat the prices MSS had. I ended up getting both, shipped and all for less then 200 bucks. Local Victory shop mounted and balanced for 25 each.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had the Dunlop 404's on my VN800B. Bought the bike used with 9000 miles on it. Replaced the rear soon after I got it with another 404. Replaced the front at about 12,000 miles, again with a 404. Put over 10,000 miles on the rear and 7,000 on the new front and both still looked pretty good when I swapped the 800 for a 900LT.

Rode the 404's through several, hard, long rains with no problems, but did have the feeling of need to take curves gingerly when the water was running on the pavement.

The 900 handles irregularities and cuts in pavement much better than the 800did, but I think that's because of differences in the bikes because the 900 also has 404's on it.

I'm guessing the greater amount of cutting edges on a full-treaded tire like the 404 may give it more traction on slick pavement, but causes more heat, thus more wear and is more susceptible to squirming on irregularities than a tire like Dunlop's alternative Elite 3, but that's guessing from an untrained observer.

I do believe Formula 1 racers normally run slicks and go to treaded tires for rain.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info - it sounds like either of the two tires will be more than satisfactory. I think I will go with the +1 in the rear - thinking that the more rubber track on the pavement the better.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
My older brother said he used to run the MT-66 on jis old Yamaha 750 and had a real hard time breaking them loose from the road. He also said they last a lot longer than the Dunlops.

:D
Aif

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I just got my bike back from the shop and I love the Metzlers. For your bike, you should not have any problems looking for a size to fit.

I am glad that I decided to get the Metzlers instead of the Dunlops. Another + side, I got my Metzlers cheaper than a dunlop tire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts